Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I had a bad experience with Burris CS myself. Sent a 2-7 Compact in for flecks of stuff floating around inside. It took a couple MONTHS to get it back- but what was worse is that they did the cardinal sin of CS, which is saying several times "it's shipped!" when in fact it wasn't, and wasn't even going to be for weeks!

Oh, and the flecks came right back.

I had a similar experience with a 1.5X6 Signature Series scope. The first time it fogged up on a nasty season opener and cost me a day worth of hunting to return home for a different rifle. When I got it back from Burris I remounted it and resighted it during the following summer and when I pulled it out in the fall there were several flakes of what appeared to be paint on the inner lens. Back again but who knows for how long.

I do have another version of this same scope on another rifle and have never had a problem with that one and it is a great scope on an elk gun. Great field of view and very bright under low light conditions.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I always thought that Steelhead might be wrong about his opinion of Burris...........now that Steve commented I stand corrected!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
With so many opinions on this thread, I just have no alternative but to add that I have nothing to say about this terribly, terribly weighty matter.

Carry on!

Ken,

I can't thank you enough and am sure I speak for everyone else on the Fire. What would we do without your measured insight and strong opinions??? confused

laugh grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dew
Wondering if any of you have sent your Leupold scopes back to have them loosen the power dial and objective rings?

Yes I have. They lubricated the rubber seals. Worked great. My only gripe is they left quite a bit of lube on the exterior of the scope that I had to clean off. I can handle that. I now lubricate my own Leupold adjustment rings. It's quite simple, really.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by Dew
Wondering if any of you have sent your Leupold scopes back to have them loosen the power dial and objective rings?

Yes I have. They lubricated the rubber seals. Worked great. My only gripe is they left quite a bit of lube on the exterior of the scope that I had to clean off. I can handle that. I now lubricate my own Leupold adjustment rings. It's quite simple, really.

I sent a VXII 2-7X33 to the Canadian service centre because of the stiff adjustment ring and the sticky windage adjustment. Got it back in a week and all is good. The zoom ring is still much stiffer than I like. I'd be interested, Big Redhead, to know how you lubricate yours.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Since I own nothing but Leupold scopes, I can't comment on other brands. The only customer service I needed was when I left my adjustment covers on the bench when sighting in a new 2-7 - I told the rep what happened and he sent me two new ones N/C. I do have some stiff zoom rings however...

Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
zoom ring is still much stiffer than I like. I'd be interested, Big Redhead, to know how you lubricate yours.

A primer on lubricating the zoom ring WOULD be useful.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own more than a few FFII's, and sent one in to Burris CS about 5 years ago to have the parralax corrected. Got it back to my door in 10 days -- that's meeting the standard.

My suspicion is that Burris C.S. actually improved quite a bit, and then they were bought by Beretta, so that's the end of any improvement in that department. I'm not opposed to buying Burris now, but it's always with the assumption that it's a throw-away scope. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson
Since I own nothing but Leupold scopes, I can't comment on other brands. The only customer service I needed was when I left my adjustment covers on the bench when sighting in a new 2-7 - I told the rep what happened and he sent me two new ones N/C. I do have some stiff zoom rings however...

Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
zoom ring is still much stiffer than I like. I'd be interested, Big Redhead, to know how you lubricate yours.

A primer on lubricating the zoom ring WOULD be useful.

Guys,

I have a request into Leupold for the proper way to lube. I would rather not tell you something that isn't proper or would void the warranty. I'll let you know their response, but I can about guess that they don't want us doing it ourselves.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer Leupold but a Burris would be my second choice. Probably doesnt make much of a difference either way but I have complete confidence in Leupold.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
I prefer Leupold but a Burris would be my second choice. Probably doesnt make much of a difference either way but I have complete confidence in Leupold.

That sums it up for me.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW, before I bought my Burris 2-7x I looked up reviews and they were raves. So I ordered and purchased it, and have been fantastically impressed with quality, clarity and (to me) unmatched tracking. Now I'm feeling a little queasy if anything ever goes wrong; and down-right nauseous discovering that Beretta now owns them.

Guess I'm gonna be a leupy-dude, now.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cant go wrong with a leupold

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent back a Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX-3 handgun scope last week that wasn't tracking/adjusting properly on my .260 Rem. Encore barrel. I received a note back from them in the mail yesterday that had my name, address, scope serial number and said that I should have the scope back in my hands in 15 days. I also received an email that said the same. I sent in a Cabela's Premium Alaskan Guide scope the same day that wasn't holding zero and I haven't heard anything from them yet, they're getting a phone call tomorrow. I wasn't worried about Leupold's warranty, my experience with Burris and a malfunctioning pistol scope was a disaster, I'll never buy a Burris again. I'll buy a Simmons or Tasco first.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought a Burris Fullfield, the original ones probably 25 years or more ago or so. I had mounted it on a Winchester Model 100 in .308 I was sighting in probably 2 weeks prior to my trip. All of a sudden looking through the scope I see a x as opposed to a +. I called Burris in Colorado,talked with a service lady and explained my situation and the time constraints. She said to send my scope in to them for repair and she would send me a loaner right away. I received the scope very quickly and mounted it. The scope worked fine and I never had a problem with it and ended up selling or trading it. I have heard the horror stories for some time now and I am not really in the market for any glass right now. When I am ready to buy,most likely it will be a Leupold. You NEVER hear bad about them,often bad about Burris. I guess I do listen to others opinions,especially when they are often and the same message.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I sent my old (25years) Leupold 6.5x20 in last year to have turrets installed, when it came back they had replaced the objective lens, as it was defective. It was news to me, I never had any problem with it. I have a bunch of Leupolds, and will remain loyal to them. My brother has a Burris, ( can't recall the model) on a Savage 99, 250-3000 that you can't sight in because it runs out of adjustment. It worked fine on this rifle for many years. He sent it in for repair and they told him the scope is fine, their must be a ring or base issue. I installed it and could not get it sighted in, it also looks like it's full of water compared to my Vari x 111's. Their full of chit.

Leupold is the best. Amen!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hmm.

I suspect that some of what has been reported here is due to the ups and downs of the Burris company. When Burris first started, their scopes immediately got a reputation for quality and toughness.

A number of years later Don Burris sold the company. Burris scopes quickly went downhill. The very first Burris scope I received from that era was defective out of the box, which didn't impress me much. Customer service also sucked.

However, a few years later one the original Burris people came back, and apparently kickd butt and took names. I have had excellent results from Burris scopes ever since, and have never had to use their repair service. (I have heard from a number of people that Burris repair and warranty service now are recently much improved. I would be interested in hearing from anybody who'd use either within the past couple of years.)

I personally like the Fullfield II's a LOT, and have them on several rifles. I recommend them strongly to anybody looking for a GOOD lower-priced scope.

I have also tested the American and Phillipine FFII's side-by-side, and if anything the Phillipine model is a little better. They are made on the same machinery, but seem a little smoother-finished. Optics are if anything a little better. And I have tested the Phillipine FFII's on rifles as hard-kicking as a .300 Weatherby with no problems.

I've also had one of the 1.75-5x Signature Safaris for several years. It's been on several hard-kicking rifles from .338 Winchester up to .416 Rigby, with no problems at all. The eye relief is great, the length of the tube is plenty even for very long actions, and it's one of the few variables that I trust completely.

My extensive experience with Burris has mostly been relatively recent, however, which may be why it differs from that of many people who posted here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice to hear on the Phillipins FFIIs John...Ive got a couple of them ( six FFIIS altogether now...) and like them a LOT too...but there have been a few naysayers since they switched to the PI...
There will be more in my collection before its over...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, nice to hear about your experience with the 1.75-5 Signature Safari.
I got one last year and it has quickly become my favorite scope.

Was really fond of my 1.75-5 FFII as well and wish I'd never have sold it.

BTW, the only time I've ever used Burris CS was 2-3 years ago when Burris replaced a set of binos my boys destroyed by tearing off the twist up eyecups. I expected to pay for a repair but Burris stepped up and sent me a brand new set gratis.

Last edited by nsaqam; 11/30/10.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

Have the naysayers brought any back to the store? Or are they just grumpy because the scopes are made offshore?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

210 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 22 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.