Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fargus Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I am seeing a lot of folks recommending the end wall set up for a stove jack yet I feel I am seeing more pictures of stove jacks installed in the roof. Is this more of a Dodge vs Chevy vs Ford kinda conversation or is one really better than the other? I have seen pros for end wall (stability of roof under snow/less damage due to sparks/easier use of rain fly) and pros for roof stove jack (stove pipe is more stable/breathes or vents better).

I like the idea of putting the jack in the end wall, but have a few of concerns. How much worse does a stove pipe with a couple of elbows breathe as compared to straight pipe? How difficult is it to stabilize an end wall pipe for high winds? If I were to use a 45 degree pipe out of the stove and through the end wall would I need a jack for the next size larger pipe to accommodate the angle?

Thanks for your patience,
Chris

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get some 50+ MPH winds and watch a tent 'breath' and you might favor a roof pipe.

To me it seems a lot better all around. Cleaning the spark-screen all you need to do is tilt down the straight-pipe from the stove, not the case with elbows.

The water that comes down the pipe will just hiss a little, holes in the wall seep down the wall, somethings going to get wet.

Tarping a tent with out a stove jack in the roof might be easier, but it only takes a second to cut a hole in a tarp, just make sure you index the hole in the tarp over the stove the next year.

About the Ford/chevy thing, they both might be fine if the tent in the back was made by Davis Tent and Awning.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
F
Fargus Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I will definitely be going with Davis without a doubt. Just trying to learn from other folks personal experience on a few things that work better than others.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simply less hassles and a better draft through the roof.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You don't need a 45 elbow. Most stoves can be set up with maybe a 30 degree or less. I have stated several times on here why I prefer an end wall stove jack.You only have to mess with a clogged pipe in the roof a few times or have holes burnt in your $800 tent to learn the value of one coming out the end. Burning a lot of pine ends up with more than a spark screen geeting clogged.

Stablizing one coming out the end is no harder than one going out the top. Fact is,to me it is easier.

I guess I have used wall tents for 40 years or so and many on here have also done so.I have used both roof and end walls,and my experiences tell me that the end wall is much preferred. However,others can do as they wish as you can also. No argumnet here,

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/29/10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here's one out the side w/o a 90*. Just an adjustable elbow right at the stove.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That has got to be one hot tent with a wood stove in it and the tent so small

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am a thru the roof who votes end wall.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Also looks like the flap for the stovejack is touching the pipe, which could be a recipe for disaster.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
After spending prolly more time than most in wall tents, make mine end wall jack every time/anytime...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Also looks like the flap for the stovejack is touching the pipe, which could be a recipe for disaster.

if the weather flap is not made of fire cloth then i would cut it off and stitch on a fiberglass replacement. smear the fiberglass cloth with silicone to make it water tight.

mercy triumphs over judgement
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Out the the end wall with 30 degree elbow. This makes it alot easer to put on and use a snow slide. phil

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for ALL the concern, but the flap looks closer than it is. It is a very good stove jack. Has Velcro and a quick release buckle to keep it secure.
Think I'll keep it the way it is.:0)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.