Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I am going to make some of my own venison jerky for the first time this year and I have a question for you guys that have been around this a little bit.

First question-What do you use to dehydrate your meat? I was thinking of using a regular barbeque smoker, but I know some people like dehydrators or some say a smoke house is the best way to go. I don't have a smoke house so it will be either a smoker or a dehydrator.

Second question-If you do smoke your jerky, what kind of wood do you like? I have oak, mesquite and pecan readily available here. Or, if I had to, I could buy other types from the store.

So, how do you guys like your jerky?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a dehydrator, my co-worker uses a smoker. I like them both. Be careful with the smoke though it is easy to over do it.

I just cut up and dehydrated a whole antelope into jerky smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You can use a smoker, but remember that smoking wood is a seasoning, like salt and pepper. Once you get some flavor on the meat, use a neutral wood like oak to finish the dehydration.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep +1 on over doing the smoke..tried some in my new electric smoker last year with our fresh apple wood...damn stuff tasted like apple cigars..YUK !!!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using the dehydrator works well. I use a little liquid smoke even a little of that goes a long ways. You have to watch it too closely when you do it in the smoker.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dehydrator for me.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dehydrator here...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Smoker all the way. About 10 years ago I made mine out of plywood and a single burner hot plate. Add a fistfull of dampened mesquite wood chips to a small cast iron skiller on the hot plate turn on high and close the door. Put 4 trays of jerky in at about 9:00 pm and it is done when you wake up for work in the morning. I can't bring myself to throw it away and get something fancy from Cabela's. The wood is seasoned real nice and it works too good.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like it both ways but a dehydrator is easier for me. I like to soak the meat overnight in a marinade and then when i get it on the dehydrator i sprinkle with jalapeno or green chile powder i make. I have some on right now.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you are just starting out, try doing your jerky in the oven. Marinate your jerky in whatever jerky marinade you like, I usually do this in the refrig for 24-48 hrs.. I use a Tupperware container, turn it over every 8 hrs. to get thorough saturation of the marinade. When it is ready for the oven, cover the bottom of the oven with a sheet of aluminum foil to catch the drips. Skewer your jerky strips on toothpicks and suspend from the oven racks. I do this over the sink to catch drips, when the racks are full transfer to the oven. Set the oven to the lowest heat and prop the door open a couple of inches to allow moisture vapor to escape. An oven full of jerky takes about 3 hrs. to dry, start watching and testing at 2 1/2 hrs. The caution regarding adding smoke flavoring is a good one, use it according to directions on the bottle a little bit goes a long way and it is easy to make your jerky bitter tasting from too much liquid smoke. I have a Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smoker the I use too, I prefer Alder wood chips for smoking as it gives a nice flavor that is never bitter. A pan full of chips will smoke for 1 hr. which is a good starting point, your jerky will need to stay in the smoker for 2-3 additional hrs. without wood chips to be done. If after you've tried jerky with one hrs. smoking and you want a more intense smoke flavor, increase the smoking time to 2 hrs.. A real Holiday treat is Rock Cornish hens done in the smoker with Apple wood. We have them for Christmas dinner quite often, each guest has their own hen, some wild rice, vegatable of choice and a nice white wine complete the meal. Give it a try.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Smokehouse all the way. Liquid smoke is horrible to my tastes...

We use real smoke and often play between pecan, hickory, and mesquite. Even break down and use standard post oak now and then.

FWIW once its seasoned and smoked, you can dry it in the fridge.... you don't really need a smokehouse, dehydrator etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dehydrator and marinade to taste....

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hi-Country original spice with a little honey added,put in the dehydrator,this makes some of the best jerky!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+! on this advise - use ur oven - - been jerkin elk - deer for many yrs. wish i knew how to post pictures - Az

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
alder is the best wood to use

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fluffy
alder is the best wood to use

Send some to me...............been wanting to try it

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Cabela's and Gander Mtn. both have Alder wood chips in Luhr Jenson bags. You really owe it to yourself to try it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.