Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
OP Offline
S
Gents/Ladies,

I have the hankering for 375 H&H rifle. Thought I would open it up to you guys for your opinion on which one to go with. Not looking to start a Ford vs Chevy debate, but looking for those features, be it likes or dislikes, that can not be found on the spec sheets and most are not found until you have a some good quality trigger time invested in her. I did see an older post here comparing the CZ and Winchester and noted the CZ's may have some problems with stocks cracking---another post noted that the Encores stock angle is not the best for heavy recoiling rounds. That is the type of stuff I am looking for.

My name says my taste in rifles and I might just get a #1 in 375 H &H, but at this point I am leaning toward a bolt gun.

I am not looking to buy right now, but likely will some time next year. At this point the rifle will not have much of a purpose as my African Trip will likely not happen for many years, but I do have plans of one day going. So this will likely be a my go to gun for charging prairie dogs, coyotes, deer and maybe even hogs as they are moving in to my hunting area.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Take a look at the winchester model 70 safari. Controlled round feed, sound construction, good looks, and a great platform if you ever decide to rechamber.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought my CZ 550 with a bunch of extras in 375 H&H for $1100, had AHR do their CZ #1 upgrade ($500), then had it rebarreled to 500 Jeff. I have about $2200 in it, but it shoots sub MOA, functions great and is real pretty... but if I had to do it over again, I'd buy a new M70 in 375 H&H and start there ...

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

S
S
May I ask... What do you plan on hunting in Africa? Plains game or dangerous game? You will have fun embarking on this journey!!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Number One about a pound less than what Ruger claims. It's short and handy, shoots quite accurately even out at 300 yards, and in the year and a half I've owned it has become one of my all-time favorite rifles. Seriously - no problem at all smacking the gongs at 300 yards with a 200 yard zero, and the bear got himself shot at just a tad over 300 yards.

I'm pretty much a new guy to the .375 H&H - but am absolutely impressed with both the cartridge and the rifle. Surprisingly mild recoil. Excellent accuracy. Good trajectory. Lots of punch downrange. And, well you know all the good stuff about a Ruger Number One. Compact, great handling, accurate, reliable... All that good Ruger Number One stuff.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've had both the CZ 550 and the Model 70. I've still got the Model 70 grin One dimension that is different between the two actions is their respective depths. The 550 is a true magnum action, and is very deep, capable of handling as many as 6 375 cartridges down depending on how the magazine spring and follower are setup. The trade off for that is that the gun handles differently from most bolt actions, and carries differently in the hand. Not bad, just different. Frankly, I think the 550 is too big for the 375 and I prefer the Model 70 in that caliber.

Here's a pic that should illustrate what I'm talking about regarding action depth.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That Model 70 is a fine looking rifle... No doubt!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've had a No.1 in 375H&H and really liked both the handling and accuracy of the rifle. It was an early model with very nice wood. I now have a pre-64 M-70 in 375 H&H and much prefer it for the role I intend for it - DG hunting.

Although I like single shots (and have several) I don't consider that action type the best choice for DGRs and much favor a bolt for that purpose. This M-70 just happens to be a favorite.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've owned a CZ that I even had the stock reshaped and it was still too much. Personally, it's all a matter of perception to the hunter. For my money, I have determined that the Whitworth Express embodies the feel of a 375 I am looking for. I believe the same feel could be done with a M70.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
For hunting anything, in any weather conditions, I'll stick with my Win M70 .375 H&H Classic Stainless....

Might not be as 'pretty' as the wood/blue versions, but I don't care.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
IC B3

S
OP Offline
S
This is great info.

SWfivehundred--I will most likely hunt plains game the first time I go. However, DG is also part of my dream, but would likely be on another trip. Would like to wait until my girls are old enough to go and take the whole family.

The Winchester has been my pick based on looks alone--but have not handled any of them, as the local gun shops does not stock these calibers. Mguy that is a nice #1 and a nice bear.

Looking around online, I see Browning and Kimber have 375 H&H rifles. Not much for the look of the Browning, but again haven't seen or handled one. The Kimber looks nice and appears to compare well with the Winchester as far as the lines of the rifle go. What does the Kimber offer that would justify the extra money?

Are there any other rifles out there I have missed that are worth a look?

Late Add: I see a Sako Kodiak on gun broker that is a nice looking rifle as well--Anyone have any experience with this rifle?

Last edited by singleshothunter; 12/02/10.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I to just went with the Winchester classic.I am not 100% happy with the current scope(VX-11/2-7X) so far forward.I have to stretch abit on 7X with heavy clothes.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
there's a whitworth alaskan on gunsinternational i believe for 6 and change. hold on, here you go: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Interarms-Whitworth-Alaskan-375-H-H.cfm?gun_id=100149297

good, solid mauser action rifles.

logcutter, is that your predominant hunting arm now?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It maybe JS..I like it alot.Kick's about the same as my Ruger 77 in .300 Win Mag and 45-70 Guide Gun plus it weighs in about the same as my .300 Mag, unofficially.

It sure has my attention but I am in the learning faze now.I have to measure my other scopes and see if I can't get a longer one on it.

Sold a nice Lance camper to get it,so I will be using it.

Jayco

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
is everything on it factory, jayco?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah..I bought it from an old forum friend who is pretty anal about his firearms.It has Leupold QD rings and bases and the rest of my rifles have Warne QD's..Bummer on that part.

All in all,it seems to be a great rifle in my somewhat limited experience with it, and I am a Winchester nut.I own more Winchester shotguns and rifles than anything else.

Jayco

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
gotcha. pretty potent elk medicine I imagine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by singleshothunter
The Kimber looks nice and appears to compare well with the Winchester as far as the lines of the rifle go. What does the Kimber offer that would justify the extra money?

Krieger barrel, NECG sites, Gentry barrel band, better synthetic stock, lighter weight.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, best choice or not, my son and I are taking a pair of 375 H&H mag, Ruger no.1's to Zim, for a DG hunt next August.

[Linked Image]

mine.

[Linked Image]

his, with a 2-7x leupold VX II on board.

To each his own. It's a hellava caliber.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
And nary a Bubba Buddy in sight..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
738 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.