Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
56mm scopes are a common occurance around here at hunting camps, my own main deer rifle wears a 2.5x10x56 swarovski. For all those that snicker at the "hubble", I'm a cheapskate and trust me, I would not have spent the money for it unless it gave a legitimate advantage. Given the time that the truly big ones come out you aren't going to kill many big deer around here prancing around the woods with a 2.5x8x36 leupold. I know, I have a couple of them also. You'll kill deer, but the truly trophy class animals that I want typically only show themselves at last light. I'll disagree with the previous poster on the binocular statement though, everyone I hunt with uses high quality binos. Mine are swarovski slc's and several other guys in my camp use the same ones, a couple use high end Nikons, and there are a couple of pairs of Kahles.

Everything we use is geared towards what'll work during the few minutes of last light, that's when the big ones move around here. It's very, very different hunting than what the western guys are used to when they're hiking the canyons and mountains, therefore the optics needs are vastly different. There's a reason for the "Hubbles", the same reason the germans invented them.

I use 7x42SLCs myself but most of the folks I've hunted around do not use a bino.....we've talked about it around the campfires and most say the same thing "once I know it's a deer I will check it with my scope".....guess it works for them.

[Linked Image]

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That is the first I've heard of Talley's breaking. I may have to re-think my position.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
That is the first I've heard of Talley's breaking. I may have to re-think my position.

I've quite a few sets of Talley LW's and they are a good strong system. Still, I've seen quite a few pics of them with a broken top strap corner and now the above.
I haven't lost faith in the ones I have but have to think they aren't in the top tier strength wise.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
great mounts!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I actually bought both for my A-Bolt Ti in 308. I had to mail order them because neither was in stock locally. Anyway, after comparing both I used the Talley's because they looked a little better and are lighter. I went out of my way to save as much weight as possible on this rifle. That being said, I had to lap the crap out of the Talley's while I don't believe this would have been necessary with the Dednutz mount. Doing it all over again if I wasn't as concerned about saving every bit of weight I would go with the Dednutz mount.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

I guess this is where looks is truly in the eye of the beholder. To me the DNZ mounts look like they are machined much better and make the Talley ringmounts look cheap.

I have the DNZ's on a Browning X-Bolt and a T/C Omega and have been very pleased with them.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I put some DNZ mounts on Tikka I used to have. They are tough. I honestly think the DNZ or Talley lightweights are stronger than the conventional steel rings since they do not have a separate base.

But I prefer the Talleys. While I'm sure the DNZ are tough as nails, the Talleys are much stronger than needed, look nicer in my opinion, and are much lighter.

I guess this is where looks is truly in the eye of the beholder. To me the DNZ mounts look like they are machined much better and make the Talley ringmounts look cheap.

I have the DNZ's on a Browning X-Bolt and a T/C Omega and have been very pleased with them.

I have them on similiar rifles x-bolt, tc endeavor cva apex and they are extremely well made..sighting a rifle in is easy with these mounts

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dead Nutz Mounts=Excellent design, and manufacture.
Aesthetics may not meet some people's approval, BUT, they are VERY well made.
I have one set now, and there will be more.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JKB
Bought a new rifle and wanting to try a set, but sure been happy with the steel leupolds, redfields and burris tactical.

I like the modular design, but seem cheap.

Any thoughts here?

Mounting a Nikon MonarchGold 2.5-10x50 on a a-bolt Ti 300wsm.

JKB,

See that this is your first posting.
Welcome aboard, visit often, and join in on the banter.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just put DNZ on a savage 220F. Piece of cake, look and feel solid and well built. Site in was a breeze. Pricey, but imo for my situation worth it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wrote this up a while back about the DNZ mounts.....

I ordered the Dednutz mounts directly from the manufacturer. The woman on the phone was easy to talk to, and she knew what she was doing. I placed the order on Thursday, and they were waiting in the mailbox for me this afternoon. Three business days is pretty quick service to Alaska, by any standards. They shipped via Priority Mail, and the grand total after shipping was $62.90.

I ordered a set of Dednutz mounts for a Model 7, and since I don't have a set of Talley's for a Model 7, I used a set of LW lows for a Model 700 to get my numbers. I'm thinking they'll be close enough for a decent comparison.

The numbers:
--The Talley's 2-pc rings weigh 2.2 oz, total; the Dednutz 1-pc unit weighs 2.8 oz.
--The 'low" Talley's measure .400" high on the front mount; the Dednutz "extra low" unit is .050" shorter.

As for the rings themselves, the Tally's are .640" wide, versus the Dednutz at .625". The Tally rings are .100" thick at the thinnest portion (at the top), and the Dn's are .240" thick - they're stout!

The Photos:

Side-by-side top view:
[Linked Image]

Side-by-side angle view:
[Linked Image]

On the rifle, with the top rings off to show the length of the screws:
[Linked Image]

On the rifle w/ 2.5-8x, right side:
[Linked Image]

On the rifle, left side:
[Linked Image]

Clearance to the action:
[Linked Image]

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just a question on dnz how many mount screws are there?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dan,
Do you have any idea of how the DNZ extra-lows compare to a Leupy set of low rings as far as height? I sure would like to give these a go but not sure if the extra-low would be too low to mount a variable and have room for the power-ring. I tried this with the Talley extra-lows and it didn't work but like the weight savings of the DNZ.
Thanks

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

561 members (2sticks, 1minute, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,951
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.