Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
per request from the other thread: when I saw the Long Grass sticks, I thought "I bet I can make those for under $50". turned out to be pretty easy: one trip to Home Depot + two hours = done! (that was 5 years ago and they're going strong)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

materials list:

six 3-foot x 5/8" pieces of Oak dowel
one 3-foot x 5/8" inner diameter copper pipe section, cut into three 10" peices
six 5/8" copper piping end-caps
one 3.5" inner diameter vacuum cleaner belt
electrical tape

I'm 6'0" tall and prefer sticks right at my height, so these will be 6' sticks. Adjust accordingly.

Lower legs:

-Glue 3 end-caps onto the 3 36" lower leg sections (I used JB)

-dry fit the other ends 5" into the 10" copper pipe.

Upper legs:

-glue 3 end-caps onto the 3 36" upper leg sections

-cut one of the three upper legs 6.5" shorter than the other two (29.5")

-dry fit the other ends 5" into the 10" copper pipe.

Sand/stain the Oak as preferred after dry-fitting.

Assembly:

make sure the non-capped ends of the upper & lower section seat home and run tape around the copper to prevent movement/loss.

tape the upper ends for a shooting platform.

add the vacuum belt (should be able to get 3 throws) and position 9" from the upper ends (2" below the short end will give a perfect hand rest). Orient the short stick for RH or LH (long two sticks perpendicular to you, short stick pointing away, either on the L or R --pictured = LH orientation)

for takedown:

remove the lower sections and slide the copper pipe up the upper sections until flush and re-tape.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x134/utahlefty/Guns%20etc/DSC03794.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x134/utahlefty/Guns%20etc/DSC03795.jpg[/img]

the bamboo ones are 3 of the straightest pieces of garden bamboo stakes in the bin + vacuum belt + tape = done in 5 minutes. (these live in the truck)

GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You be a talented man,Matt.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
or...I refuse to pay $200 + shipping for $25 in supplies available at the Home Depot! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cool

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Excellent and very well done. A couple of suggestions from the field:

1. Add a thick o ring to each of the legs so the sticks do not clatter together.

2. Bind a leather loop across the top of the two main sticks and this often makes for a better rifle rest - not essential.

Now let us see you make a simple but stout carrying case from your local DIY store.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry if there is a obvious answer. What is the reason for the copper pipe? Is it only for take down? Why not just have solid oak dowels?

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
Yes, the pipe serves only as a convenient connector for take-down without adding appreciable weight.

You can get 6' oak dowels, but usually only on order and usually only in 3/4"-1" dia. Sure, you could turn them down to size but that's a lot of hassle. (If you're lucky, one or two of them might even be straight!)

Also, try checking a 6' stick with your luggage next time you're at the airport... whistle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Yes, the pipe serves only as a convenient connector for take-down without adding appreciable weight.

You can get 6' oak dowels, but usually only on order and usually only in 3/4"-1" dia. Sure, you could turn them down to size but that's a lot of hassle. (If you're lucky, one or two of them might even be straight!)

Also, try checking a 6' stick with your luggage next time you're at the airport... whistle

Thanks, That makes sense! wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
S
Thanks for sharing this I'm going to give it a try

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent post there,UtahLefty.
Very nicely done.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When you break them down you remove the tape on one end of the pipe and then re-tape them when you put them back together?

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by Slider1
When you break them down you remove the tape on one end of the pipe and then re-tape them when you put them back together?
yes. (I almost always have a roll of electrical tape in my pack, if needed)

I'll slide the pipe up the upper end so it's past flush (so the pipe end is supported and doesn't get dinged up when the sticks are broken down) and re-wrap the tape.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This is really cool and I'm going to give this a shot, but might make the tops a little shorter. Is there any need to have them sticking up so high? Not criticizing, just wondering.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great job,but they need to be rubbed down with Kudu dung for the right smell and good luck!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good work! They look great.
I was thinking you could probably get buy with only one break down point in the sticks if you are taking a gun with you to Africa. Most gun cases are at least 40 inches and 40 x 2 would get you to 6 ft plus.I dont know how hard it would be to put a wood screw with large threads on the end of one of the sticks and drill out the other stick a bit to keep it from splitting. Then as Zambiam said you could put a big o ring on the junction to help keep it from working loose and keep it quiet. My plan if probably flawed but I may have to give it a try and see if it works. Thanks for the winter project idea. Dean

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag for this

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
to add to that, cut the first and ring fingers off an old leather glove and fit them over the ends for a decent rifle rest!

Use a length of PVC pipe to make a case!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Matt: My Home depot only has 1/2' and 3/4" copper pipe. What is the size of the 5/8" inside diameter copper pipe you used and where did you get it? Thanks for all the help.

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
OD measures .70

ID measures .63

I'm pretty sure it was Home Depot, but it might have been Lowes.

I remember taking 2 diameters of oak dowel over to the plumbing section and slip-fitting them in the copper pipe they had until I'd found the right combo.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Matt: Thanks for checking the measurements. I will keep looking. The 1/2" copper caps fit but the 1/2" copper pipe is too small for the 5/8" dowels and the 3/4" pipe is too sloppy a fit. 1/2" dowels look too flimsy so you picked the right diameter for the dowels.

Last edited by bobmn; 03/17/11.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.