-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
H
H
Some bullets provide a larger shock to the nervous system that can cause temporary paralysis. So if you have a bullet that provide a shock circle the size of a dessert plate and you shoot close enough to the back bone, the shock will drop the deer. The other thing to consider with a double lung shot is lung capacity. Did you shoot the deer on an inhale or exhale. Similar to holding your breath. If you only hit the lungs they will begin losing some blood, but you still have whatever oxygen was in their blood stream and all 4 legs and brain is still working so they can run a ways.

On a side note, I shot a nice doe with a 358g powerbelt bullet from a 50 cal muzzle loader this year. Good lung shot as you describe but had a poor blood trail. I looked for 45 minutes until it got dark. Then when it got dark the blood was actually easier to see with my headlamp since it was shiny and reflective. Drop by drop I tracked that dang doe for 75-100yds through thick woods and brush. She got a ride home in the back of the truck. High shot can also bleed less as the body cavity fills with blood instead of leaking from the hole.

Took my first .243 buck a couple weeks ago. Perfect shot, watched her run by with the exit hole side facing me as she ran past. quarter size hole with blood spraying everywhere as she tried to breath. She went about 50 yards. Good round I will not hesitate to use again.

Just my thoughts

Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself. Monty Python
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The .243 was intended to be a varmint rifle, why people insist on hunting deer with it is beyond me. Use a cartridge that reliably produces quick humane kills and save the .243 for ground hogs, coyotes and such vermin. Deer deserve to be dispatched more humanely.

Funny [bleep], thanks for the laugh

He's a gun wizard......you best pay attention,Scott. Maybe you'll learn something! I gotta go call my Mom right now and stop her before she heads out to her stand with her .243. She's never had to shoot a buck twice, so there's gotta be a better cartridge for her to use. grin

To the OP. If you have lung, I suspect you have a deer, and not very far away. Hopefully the critters don't beat you to it.

Jeff

Last edited by akjeff; 12/04/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The .243 was intended to be a varmint rifle, why people insist on hunting deer with it is beyond me. Use a cartridge that reliably produces quick humane kills and save the .243 for ground hogs, coyotes and such vermin. Deer deserve to be dispatched more humanely.

Funny [bleep], thanks for the laugh

Amen Steelhead!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If given the opportunity (and I am, every fall) to use a .243 or a .30-06, it's completely a toss up in my book. The only reason that I use a .30-06 instead of a .243 is that the .243 is "Mom's gun" and I will inherit it someday, so I'm not buying a .243 of my own, I split the difference with a .260 Remington, which I used successfully on three does last weekend, one DRT (centered the spine on a running shot at 50 yds, she wasn't going another step, wish I'd been 6 inches lower...), one went 20 yds after a good running double lung shot, the other was discussed here https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...Interesting_experience_today#Post4638574 and it wasn't bullet/gun failure, it was shooter error. The .243 is PLENTY of deer for gun, I've seen some amazing DRT kills with the 100 gr. Partition out of mom's .243, both with me behind the gun and her behind the gun.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haus_von_stein
Some bullets provide a larger shock to the nervous system that can cause temporary paralysis. So if you have a bullet that provide a shock circle the size of a dessert plate and you shoot close enough to the back bone, the shock will drop the deer. The other thing to consider with a double lung shot is lung capacity. Did you shoot the deer on an inhale or exhale. Similar to holding your breath.

Did you hear this from Douchebeer?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
buckhorn: you do not say where you are. in az the whitetailes are 60 pounds. were you shooting in alberta where they are 300#?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I hear Bushnell is coming out with a scope with a built in range finder coupled with an image stabilizer and computer. It will have a selector switch that allows the computer to time a shot to hit the animal when the lungs are full or empty, or when the heart is full of air or empty.
Hearsay has it that they have had DRT kills on buffalo, rhino, and moose using full jacketed 22 magnum ammo...
Could be just a rumor, though...

Fred

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by buckhorn1916
I am a 30-06 veteran that shot my first deer with a .243 this evening. Handload with Sierra Gameking 85 grain BTHP.
Blood and lung all over the place, waist high.....No deer??
I know the .243 kills deer, but do they normally run farther when hit with a .243 vs. a larger caliber? Just wanted to know some other experiences with this, thanks.

I'm guessing not more than 100 yards from where you shot him. Get a crew together and go find him. Start from where you seen him go last and make some swings around the ares.

Was it raining or something? no other blood trail?

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Any opinions on whether to use 85 gr, 100 gr, 105 gr.??

The 100gr Partition is not a bad option!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
. Did you shoot the deer on an inhale or exhale.

How many of you wait for the deer to exhale??????

I also wait for them to pee, poop, put near leg forward, drop right there & field dress themself.

Geez............

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Now .243's can't kill deer? JFC what would we do without the internet..

I need to tell my wife's 243 that her Dad didn't kill 50+ deer with it, it was all a dream!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I should tell gunweirdo how many deer my late grandfather killed with a .17 Remington. It would snap him smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Better hide all 22-250's & 223's.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My opinion (for what it's worth) is that the .243 is deadly on the deer I have seen killed with it (mostly by my late father) but I have a bad back and if I don't want to do any dragging I use my .348 Model 71. Also, I still don't understand why the .250 Savage is ol' death and destruction while the .243 gets a bad rap. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 243 for the first time on deer last week. I was impressed to say the least. Was shooting factory 85gr TSXs. From now on, Ill always have a 243 in the safe and Im kind of wanting another one just for the hell of it. Damn good coyote rifle as well. The deer you shot is laying somewhere close.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I had a friend, who's uncle's sister, met a guy, who's step-father once claimed to know of a dude on a farm in Tenn. who once put the eye out of a 238# 14 pointer and dropped it dead where it stood...all with a Daisy Red Ryder!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by model70man
I still don't understand why the .250 Savage is ol' death and destruction while the .243 gets a bad rap. Thanks...Bill.

Because it's a larger caliber and more effective on deer, obviously! whistle

Selmer

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I am a 30-06 veteran that shot my first deer with a .243 this evening. Handload with Sierra Gameking 85 grain BTHP.
Blood and lung all over the place, waist high.....No deer??
I know the .243 kills deer, but do they normally run farther when hit with a .243 vs. a larger caliber? Just wanted to know some other experiences with this, thanks.

I can't help with a comparison, because a .243 is the only cartridge I've ever used to shoot deer, and my sample size may or may not need 2 hands to count. Though all were recovered, each of the deer ran further than I had wanted. As such, I determined that a .243 wasn't enough cartridge for deer hunting.

This, however, was > 25 years ago, back in my teens. I was shooting a Remington 788 carbine with the 18.5" barrel. I'm sure that it would have helped if I would have shot more than 8 or 9 rounds through it before the season. I would also wager that using hearing protection might have prevented me from becoming afraid of the copious muzzle blast, and developing the flinch I carried for years. Heck, shooting lots more rimfire than I did would likely have made me a much better shot. In short, I'm sure the fault was mine, and not the cartridge's.

To this day, though, I maintain a dislike for the .243. In fact, I don't care much for any of its -08 bretheren, either. It's totally illogical, and I'm well aware of that. I'm just thankful there are still many dozens of other cartridges out there for me to be smitten with.

This process probably has happened with all cartridges. I was the only fool in elk camp with enough gall to carry a .30-'06: everyone else knew that was far too impotent a cartridge for such tough, noble, & worthy creatures. But it sure worked like a charm on the elk that I shot. So now, with my sample size of 1, I shall henceforth go confidently into the field chasing elk with it, knowing that it worked for me.

The next time I do go deer hunting, I'll very likely be carrying my 7x57. I'm sure it won't kill the deer any deader, or any more quickly, than a solid shot from a .243, but I'll feel better about carrying it with me.

I hear folks talking about "finding their huckleberries". Though I'd never encountered the phrase before I came to this site, I'd surmise it applies pretty aptly to cartridge selection. And if your huckleberry differs from my own, that's OK.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
H
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
. Did you shoot the deer on an inhale or exhale.

How many of you wait for the deer to exhale??????

I also wait for them to pee, poop, put near leg forward, drop right there & field dress themself.

Geez............

We discussed a similar issue with humans in my concealed carry class. Technically they are suppose to teach you to shoot center mass. The problem is that a human can live up to two minutes even with a proper kill shot in the chest. You guys think my response is funny but go ask the dead police officer who thought the bad guy was done for how funny it is. It was simply a statement that just because you hit a deer in a magic spot don't assume they should just fall over. Most will run if physicaly able. Duh!

Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself. Monty Python
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what if the person was breathing out? will it work then?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.