Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
what happens if you want to use a harris bipod it looks like all the swivels are on the front. knowing everything I know now and if I didn't own any of my guns, which include 2 customs. I might just buy a blaser instead.

At least with the synthetic stock models, like the R93 Professional, adding another swivel stud for a Harris bipod is no big deal. I've seen pictures posted from some who have done it showing the forend inside (with barrel removed) and out.

Brazos Jack

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
what happens if you want to use a harris bipod it looks like all the swivels are on the front. knowing everything I know now and if I didn't own any of my guns, which include 2 customs. I might just buy a blaser instead.

Might have to do some looking on the blaserbuds site but several folks have added the sling swivel stud for a bipod. Personally I'll probably add one to my R8 (when I get it..) just to use for a sling. Not really crazy about the swivel being in the end of the stock. The new R8s have a place even marked inside them for the stud to be placed. Plus the R8 is a little stouter in the front end than the 93 is.

If you're buying new I'd go with the R8 unless you're really looking at the weight issue. The 93 is lighter and does feel very nimble. The R8 will take the heavier calibers, 458 Win, 458 Lott and 500 Jeffrey, etc that the 93 doesn't but you can still go to the 416 Remington with the 93 which is a lot of gun. Blaser has assured us that they will continue to make the R93 as a complete rifle for a while and then they intend to offer everything as 'parts'. I would suspect if the demand for R93s continues though that they'd make it as a complete rifle as long as the market is showing the sales are there to support it.

The R8 package deal is about as good a deal as anyone can hope for on a new R8. Ableammo in Huntsville is getting $3195 for the gun, case, scope, sling, knife and light. List is $3,595. It's a promotional offer that will be pulled from the market early next year so now is the time to jump if you want one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I watched 9.0 minutes of the second video.
The design gives makes me uncomfortable. I am not going to watch more.

I've always been somewhat intrigued with them and thought it would be fun to play with one for awhile. Now I REALLY want one. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I watched 9.0 minutes of the second video.
The design gives makes me uncomfortable. I am not going to watch more.

I've always been somewhat intrigued with them and thought it would be fun to play with one for awhile. Now I REALLY want one. smile

Having been a Sauer fan for most of my life I fought the urge to buy one. I still like my Sauers but the Blaser 'system' just makes sense. If I want to shoot a 300 Wby Sauer and a 270 Win in a Sauer I have to have the standard action rifle and the magnum action rifle. Plus changing barrels requires resighting the rifle. With either one I still need two scopes and two sets of mounts so that's a wash. With Blaser I need ONE frame and 2 different bolts and bolt heads. After that it's put on the barrel/scope assembly and go hunting. And the rifle feels the same so there's no adjustment to a different gun.

Have absolutely no regrets and as you can tell looking to add a 2nd one. And plenty of folks to help guide you in making the right choices in putting one together. Corjack that made the video has probably more knowledge of the Blaser system than anybody short of the folks who make them. And he'll be happy to share any tidbit of info you could think to ask. I wound up putting about $2300 into my R93, including scope rings and base.

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too was conservative, but made the move and have had the R93 for 2 years now. I have absolutely, no regrets on the purchase. The merits are proven.

Cycle action is FAST.

For a travel rifle, IMHO there is not a better system out there. Breaks down and goes together fast, take 2 barrels and not have to re-sight in, slap on what you want today and hunt with it, tomorrow a new day and new caliber.

There is not a better safety system with one in the chamber. If it not cocked, it is impossible to fire. With common sense and safe handling procedures, carrying loaded and one in the chamber, but not cocked, is a big advantage.

Everyone thinks their rifle is the best, and it is nice to be able to purchase what you want. This is an out of the box rifle that needs absolutely no 'tuning', no trigger work, no stock work, no fiddling with. For those that like to tinker it may not be for you. It also is in the running as the one of the top, if not the top, world's most accurate factory rifle out of the box. No arguments here, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
How does the Blaser handle reloaded cartridges? In my turn bolts I size the brass a bit snug for the chamber and then cam down on it when I close the bolt. I feel this helps to improve accuracy. Can you close the blaser bolt on snug brass?

Also I still am puzzled by how a blaser would handle the gas from a ruptured case or popped primer?

The R8 professional looks like a rugged "do everything" rifle, one in 30-06 would sure be a good start, but for a take down rifle in 30-06 for the life of me I just cannot see the $3500 price.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
How does the Blaser handle reloaded cartridges? In my turn bolts I size the brass a bit snug for the chamber and then cam down on it when I close the bolt. I feel this helps to improve accuracy. Can you close the blaser bolt on snug brass?

Hoping one of the reloaders answers your question but the best answer I can give you is the vast majority of Blaser shooters reload their own so obviously it must work well without a problem. I would assume that they resize each cartridge just as they would for any rifle. The buddy I bought my 270 from has a little loader with a powder dipper and he was loading shells at the range that day that were shooting one on top of each other in a 308. He'd loaded the 270 ones at home but what he was doing there definitely wasn't 'hi-tech'.

Also I still am puzzled by how a blaser would handle the gas from a ruptured case or popped primer?

Again since I'm relatively new to the Blaser there are others who can answer this better. I do know that they have 2 vent holes in the rear of the barrel where the case and the bolt meet which is the same as my Sauer 202s have in their turn bolt design. Beyond that I don't have any further information. Hopefully one of the Blaser 'techie' guys will chime in with more info.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

While taking these pics I noticed that a Tikka 270 I have has one vent hole on the left side and the Sako A7 has no visible vent holes. The TC Icon has one on the right side. So obviously each manufacturer has their own idea of how much to vent and where to vent. Blaser and Sauer appear to opt for maximum safety by having one on each side.

The R8 professional looks like a rugged "do everything" rifle, one in 30-06 would sure be a good start, but for a take down rifle in 30-06 for the life of me I just cannot see the $3500 price.

The new R8 can be bought for a little over $2700 without the carrying case, scope, scope mounts, etc. So far used ones have been few and far between but in time they'll start showing up as people need cash for other things. You can pick up a R93 new for around $2500. On the used side I've seen them go for $1800.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was checking zero this morning, Nothing fancy just a target and some Federal Blue Box 7mm RM 150 gr bullets. Ran out of the Fusions. Gotten Almost 5 seasons out of that box. Any way. This load shot pretty much right were I needed it to go, a small correction was all that was needed. I have a spot were I can over look a swamp and the other side of it, the deer like to hang around a large Oak tree, lots of Acorns. Waiting for a good buck, I see deer just about every day. The Blaser is well, a blaser. No body mentioned that one of the barrels you can get and its a must have, is a 28 ga shotgun. Yep you can have a slick single shot shotgun in one of the better gauges to shoot. Never mind what a great squirrel and grouse getter it is. In case you didn't know.

Last edited by gmsemel; 12/05/10.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My 28 ga. Squirrel getter;

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just love that!!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

S
S
I just have 2 get one of those barrels - !!!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,545 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,400
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.