Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
akflyer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Lets say your state requires hunter orange, so you wear appropriate vests and hats while you walk to your spot. Now you pop up a blind and disappear inside. Seems like you might be complying with the letter of the law, but not the intent. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put some Blaze orange in proximity, on a bush or limb, or top of blind? Do some states address this? What do you do?
Kind of on the same subject. How about guys that put on the vest, then cover it up with binoclulars in front and a camo backpack. Seems like they wouldn't have the required "front and back" square inches required any more.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Missouri your blind has to have the legal amount of orange I do believe.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some of the better commercial ground blinds have orange panels hidden behind velcroed panels that can be exposed during rifle season.

If I'm in an area where the dumbphucktitude is unknown I've been known to hang an orange vest from the highest tree.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yesterday, some idiots - who figured to cut me off at the pass, came in - at night and put up one of those ground blinds 100 or so yards below my tree stand.

Now the funny thing about it all is the fact that my best shooting lane is directly in line with their blind and the fact that I was there first.

This was on private property, and my nearest guess is that some people from the camp below was not seeing deer and figured to hone in on my territory.

They have 116 acres of posted property and they had to come on my 5 acres and try to take food off my table.
Just as you have said - there was 3 things wrong with their attempts.
First was that they did not have the legal requirement of Blaze Orange on the ground blind.
Second was the fact that they walked in with a video camera at about 8 AM - in clear view of me and my tree stand.
Third was the fact that they figured that they were closer to the deer then I was and so they were going to have the best opportunity to harvest a deer.

What they didn't plan on was that I had a little Mini stereo in my tree stand and when they hid out for about an hour and got good and settled in - I just put on a little dinner music for my friends.
Wango Tango - Ted Nugent!

I only cranked it up about half way, but it was enough to make them come running out of the ground blind, mad as hornets.
After about 10 minutes of Johnboy n Billy, they packed up and left.
Then they screwed me again - they went to the top of the hill and blocked off all deer movements in my area.

Their buddies drove their truck across our land about 7 Am and came back a second time around 2:30 PM..
There is only one problem with that - they do not have permission to be on the land that I was on and they do not have a right of way on their deed that allows them to use the gate on the road that I was near...

I am not the property owner - but I know the property owner - because he bought the land with the profits from the sale of the timber on our camp when we owned it. So I do have permission to be there.

Next Saturday - you can bet there will be a brand new lock on the gate and the truck will be parked in front of the gate and any illegal activities will be dealt with accordingly.

I had 5 of their hunters post directly behind my tree stand.
How many people can you fit on 5 acres of ground?
They all must have thought that I had my own little honey hole and instead of hunting their ground - (which I could shoot deer like rabbits if we still owned the camp) - they refuse to put on drives or do any work to get deer.

They just want to drive around in the truck and shoot out the window.
I didn't hear this from just one hunter in this woods, I heard it from a half a dozen different people.

So my opinion is - what happens if a person sitting in one of these camo blinds gets between a deer and a bullet. Can the shooter be held accountable when he cannot see you our your blaze orange? That's why they call it camo right?

A
akflyer Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Putting blaze orange on or around the blind would seem like common sense, but then so are half of the regulations in the book and it's still necessary to write them down and have enforcement. I haven't seen it mentioned in any states I've hunted in.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
Yesterday, some idiots - who figured to cut me off at the pass, came in - at night and put up one of those ground blinds 100 or so yards below my tree stand.

Now the funny thing about it all is the fact that my best shooting lane is directly in line with their blind and the fact that I was there first.

This was on private property, and my nearest guess is that some people from the camp below was not seeing deer and figured to hone in on my territory.

They have 116 acres of posted property and they had to come on my 5 acres and try to take food off my table.
Just as you have said - there was 3 things wrong with their attempts.
First was that they did not have the legal requirement of Blaze Orange on the ground blind.
Second was the fact that they walked in with a video camera at about 8 AM - in clear view of me and my tree stand.
Third was the fact that they figured that they were closer to the deer then I was and so they were going to have the best opportunity to harvest a deer.

What they didn't plan on was that I had a little Mini stereo in my tree stand and when they hid out for about an hour and got good and settled in - I just put on a little dinner music for my friends.
Wango Tango - Ted Nugent!

I only cranked it up about half way, but it was enough to make them come running out of the ground blind, mad as hornets.
After about 10 minutes of Johnboy n Billy, they packed up and left.
Then they screwed me again - they went to the top of the hill and blocked off all deer movements in my area.

Their buddies drove their truck across our land about 7 Am and came back a second time around 2:30 PM..
There is only one problem with that - they do not have permission to be on the land that I was on and they do not have a right of way on their deed that allows them to use the gate on the road that I was near...

I am not the property owner - but I know the property owner - because he bought the land with the profits from the sale of the timber on our camp when we owned it. So I do have permission to be there.

Next Saturday - you can bet there will be a brand new lock on the gate and the truck will be parked in front of the gate and any illegal activities will be dealt with accordingly.

I had 5 of their hunters post directly behind my tree stand.
How many people can you fit on 5 acres of ground?
They all must have thought that I had my own little honey hole and instead of hunting their ground - (which I could shoot deer like rabbits if we still owned the camp) - they refuse to put on drives or do any work to get deer.

They just want to drive around in the truck and shoot out the window.
I didn't hear this from just one hunter in this woods, I heard it from a half a dozen different people.

So my opinion is - what happens if a person sitting in one of these camo blinds gets between a deer and a bullet. Can the shooter be held accountable when he cannot see you our your blaze orange? That's why they call it camo right?

Exemplifying what's wrong with PA deer hunting, on many levels.

That douchebeer will lambaste a KID for taking a legal deer, and then crow about this, well...

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

BTW - douchebeer;

If you're not the property owner, you cannot LEGALLY lock the gate and restrict access.

And, your actions are in violation of the laws protecting the rights of hunters to hunt unmolested by malicious activities.

YOU would be the one arrested, and hopefully that's exactly what happens.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here's what our buddy douchbeer posted in the big game forum.

Troll.

Originally Posted by douchebeer
Whats so great about shooting deer on private property.This whole post sounds like a advertisement for the hunting lodge where you are hunting and not a legitimate post.

I live in Pennsylvania and I have over one million acres of land that I can hunt on for free - its called the Game Lands.
Anybody that can afford the price of a license is welcome to come and stay and act as they please - once they leave the woods. Plenty of bars and plenty of action if you know where to look for it.

I could probably shoot 10 deer in Pennsylvania for what it cost you to shoot one

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by akflyer
Lets say your state requires hunter orange, so you wear appropriate vests and hats while you walk to your spot. Now you pop up a blind and disappear inside. Seems like you might be complying with the letter of the law, but not the intent. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put some Blaze orange in proximity, on a bush or limb, or top of blind? Do some states address this? What do you do?...

My state, Mississippi, doesn't require you to wear orange inside an enclosed shooting blind. Many people hunt out of shooting houses over food plots and it's kind of silly to have to wear orange inside of them. I personally wish the orange requirement would go away, I don't believe it increases safety. I think it's one of those issues where everyone's become conditioned to believe that they'll automatically be shot if they're without orange and it's just not true. Several western states don't require orange and their mishap rate is as low or lower than many states that do require orange, and their hunter density numbers are probably just as high as my state.

I wouldn't put orange outside a blind, that's kind of silly in my opinion. Any place where I have to worry about getting shot by some idiot while sitting in a blind is a place I wouldn't want to be hunting. I'd give up hunting before I'd hunt in a place like that.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

BTW - douchebeer;

If you're not the property owner, you cannot LEGALLY lock the gate and restrict access.

And, your actions are in violation of the laws protecting the rights of hunters to hunt unmolested by malicious activities.

YOU would be the one arrested, and hopefully that's exactly what happens.

Douchebeer;

What you did, and what you say you plan to do, is CLEARLY in violation of 34 Pa.Cons.Stat. Section 2302 (1996) "Pennsylvania Hunter Harassment Law":

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com.../pennsylvania-hunter-harassment-law.html

TITLE 34. GAME
PENNSYLVANIA CONSOLIDATED STATUTES
CHAPTER 23. HUNTING AND FURTAKING
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Originally Posted by 34PaConsStat

� 2302. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title prohibited
(A) GENERAL RULE.-- Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for another person at the location where the activity is taking place to intentionally obstruct or interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife or other activities permitted by this title.

(A.1) ACTIVITIES WHICH VIOLATE SECTION.-- A person violates this section when he intentionally or knowingly:

(1) drives or disturbs wildlife for the purpose of disrupting the lawful taking of wildlife where another person is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;
(2) blocks, impedes or otherwise harasses another person who is engaged in the process of lawfully taking wildlife or other permitted activities;

(3) uses natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimuli to affect wildlife behavior in order to hinder or prevent the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities;

(4) creates or erects barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities may occur;

(5) interjects himself into the line of fire;

(6) affects the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the lawful taking of wildlife or other permitted activities in order to impair its usefulness or prevent its use;

(7) enters or remains upon public lands or upon private lands without permission of the owner or their agent, with intent to violate this section; or

(8) fails to obey the order of any officer whose duty it is to enforce any of the laws of this Commonwealth where such officer observes any conduct which violates this section or has reasonable grounds to believe that any person intends to engage in such conduct.

(B) ENFORCEMENT AND RECOVERY OF DAMAGES.-- The commission or any person who is lawfully engaged in the taking, hunting or trapping of game or wildlife who is directly affected by a violation of this section may bring an action to restrain conduct declared unlawful in this section and to recover damages.

(C) EXCEPTIONS.-- The conduct declared unlawful in this section does not include any activities arising from lawful activity by other land uses, including farming, mining, forestry practices, recreation or any other activities when it is evident that such activities are not intended to violate this section.

(D) PENALTIES.-- A violation of this section is a summary offense of the second degree.

So, douchebeer, PLEASE go ahead and do it again. I hope you do, and I hope that the other hunters prosecute your fat azz to the fullest extent of the law.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wisconsin requires 144 square inches of blaze orange visable from all sides during the gun deer season for portable blinds placed on public land.

Portable blinds on private land are curtrently exempt from the rule.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds like you earned the treatment you got.

not that you will read any responses to anything you post because you are nothing but a troll to stir things up and fade away, giggling like a little kid in your mom's basement.

you contradict pretty much everything you write from one post to the next, and repeatedly complain about other hunters when you yourself tell of your own escapades proving are one of the biggest douchebags out there. are you seriously that diluted? or more likely are you just some POS troll who gets a giggle out of posting stupid chit?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Iowa requires blaze orange on the outside of blinds visible from all sides.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My understanding is PA still requires it inside the blind but has no regulations regarding posting outside. That said, I hunt out of a blind with my daughter frequently and always post an orange band visible 360 very near us.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I believe in Mo you must have orange hat and vest on while in the blind, but the blind does not have to have orange on it but is recommended by MDC..that's my understanding

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Really don't matter much .If you value your life an hunt on state,or federal lands put orange ribons on it all sides so a nother hunter can see you the smartest thing you can do

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If it is on private ground, and they aren't supposed to be there, then I'd have that blind piled up in pieces the next time they looked for it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That find on private ground,but I don't think that what this was all about JGRaider

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Thumper358
I believe in Mo you must have orange hat and vest on while in the blind, but the blind does not have to have orange on it but is recommended by MDC..that's my understanding

That's exactly what my local game warden said.

H
H
Oklahoma and Arkansas require hunter only to wear blaze orange. My new blind does have some little 4X4 squares though. Last one I bought did not. I like hunting private land also that I have permission to hunt. I've asked the land owner if I could lock the gate before and gave him a key. Did the trick. Since the guy posting above had permission he could have just decided to park his truck next to the blind for the guys that did not have permission.

Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself. Monty Python
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.