Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Foxbat
American BMW 3 series are now made in South Africa.

Nothing screams quality like Africa....

BMW has been building cars in South Africa since the 70's.

One of my customers has a 2003 X5 4.4l that has over 410k miles on it. Engine is original, never had a valve job. Replaced the trans at 260k miles, and replaced the oil pump at 400k. Its been pretty bulletproof for him so far. Japanese car tend to nickel & dime you less, German cars just feel so much better on the road. For those that drive them, and are prepared for the extra maintenance, its worth it. (Great job security for me too smile ).

This man would know. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
As a friend of mine said just recently, "I finally got me a Buick -- my last chance at being cool." laugh I've had a couple now, and like them.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Part of the problem is how they calculate the reliability. Basically, any trip back to the dealer can count as a mark against your brand's reliability.

That means the guy who claimed there was a spot in the headliner of his brand new Dodge Nitro, after he got an oil change, is a reliability issue.

The lady who would come back to the dealership every month, claiming she heard a squeak that we could never reproduce, was several reliability claims.

The other lady who claimed that her A/C got "warm" on long trips -- also a non-reproducible problem, despite numerous test drives and letting the vehicle idle for hours in the parking lot taking temp readings every 15 minutes, was also multiple reliability claims.

Also, people who have spent $70k+ on a car, expect everything to work right and be perfect, and when they don't understand something, they come screaming back. Most of this is the sales rep's fault for not explaining it -- like the lady who had to come back to figure out how to turn her dome light off when she accidentally turned it on. He had never gone over the vehicle with her.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I think Lexus is a Japanese car that can rival the big three German makers, but seems to be a little more reliable...however I'm not sure if you can get 300K out of a Lexus.

Why not? My dad has 330K on an F150. I think Lexus is the best built vehicle on the road.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just purchased a New 2011 Buick Lacrosse and it now has 300 miles and still going strong now that is hard to beat.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Yup,

I wouldn't buy an off lease BMW simply because the driver of a leased BMW is going to change the oil when the car tells him to and not when common sense dictates. The Service Indicator will allow oil change intervals of up to 15k miles (BMW's have a 4 year 50k mile "free maintenance" package with the purchase). Funny how those oil change intervals doubled when the free maintenance was introduced. BMW knows the cars will probably go 100k miles with that kind of maintenance, but I know they won't go much further than that........

Exactly. They are really screwing people with that crap. Took my wife's in last week because the engine light came on and asked if they'd go ahead do the first oil change since it had been 10K and almost a year.

They smugly said no, not until 1 year or 15K miles. So now I have to waste my time again in a few weeks to drive 25 miles back to the dealership.

A$$holes. There is nothing magic about BMW filters and Castrol oil. They just figure the problems will be well after the warranty ends.

so don't buy a beemer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm wondering if the Toyota owners who had unintended accelaration issues still think that Japanese cars are always more reliable than German ones?......................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I'm wondering if the Toyota owners who had unintended accelaration issues still think that Japanese cars are always more reliable than German ones?......................dj

I'm betting there's a very close correlation between the types of individuals that experienced unintended acceleration in the Toyota/Lexus cars, and those that experienced unintended acceleration in German (Audi) cars years ago.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

so don't buy a beemer

You mean Bimmer?

Thanks for the advice, but the wife gets what she wants.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've drank with the vice president of Volkswagen, who happens to also own Rolls Royce. He can have any car he wants on earth.

He drives a Cadillac. V8, NorthStar system...........

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Try changing your own oil on a new VW. I fuggin' dare you....

I've got a VW Passat and I've changed the oil myself 3 times since I bought it. It is a real bear to remove the spalash guard and get to the oil filter; the drain plug is only accessable after the splash guard is removed.

I pay the dealer to change the oil now and will remember this when I buy a new car (hint - I'll check how difficult it is to change the oil BEFORE I sign!).

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
badger, were you going to soon, which BMW would you buy? Looking at an X5 for the wife, one that has been returned from lease. Any thoughts on beemers that were previously leased? Thanks.

Yup,

I wouldn't buy an off lease BMW simply because the driver of a leased BMW is going to change the oil when the car tells him to and not when common sense dictates. The Service Indicator will allow oil change intervals of up to 15k miles (BMW's have a 4 year 50k mile "free maintenance" package with the purchase). Funny how those oil change intervals doubled when the free maintenance was introduced. BMW knows the cars will probably go 100k miles with that kind of maintenance, but I know they won't go much further than that........

Thanks, badger.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.