Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you talking about an 84M?

My Montana 7-08 would be the last rifle I'd let go, and the 223 84M would make the decision harder.

Hard for me to recommend them highly enough.

I think OP will have to go used to get a 7-08, though.

DJ

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Have you handled both? The Kimber Montana feels like a club to me. Unbalanced and a really messed up fore-end curvature.

You must be talking about a long-action or WSM Montana.
I don't think the WSM stock is that bad and 84M's handle like a magic wand.

I don't own a Montana but would really like to get one in 243.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you handled both? The Kimber Montana feels like a club to me. Unbalanced and a really messed up fore-end curvature.

I went to the gun shop specifically to buy a Kimber until I held one. I ended up with the Mark V Ultra-Lightweight. Beautifully balanced, 24" barrel.... I have done very little load development thus far. But 100 gr. TTSXes over 51.0 gr of 4350 prints groups that can be covered by quarter (and often much smaller.......operator incompetence, no doubt) with boring regularity.

I saw a Montana once,please tell me more...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
tgumby4 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Please explain your statement that all Mark V's are long action. I assumed they were like other bolt action with shorter bolts for shorter cartridges. I have contacted both Weatherby and Kimber and they are sold out of both models in the 7mm-08, so someone must like them. Thanks for info and keep it coming..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I can't believe that's something that's real.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 12/07/10.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tgumby4
Please explain your statement that all Mark V's are long action. I assumed they were like other bolt action with shorter bolts for shorter cartridges. I have contacted both Weatherby and Kimber and they are sold out of both models in the 7mm-08, so someone must like them. Thanks for info and keep it coming..

Weatherby's Mark V, 6 lug action is one size for '06 length cases. Companies like Kimber, Rem, etc make 2 lengths(std calibers) a short action and a long action, there is about 1/2" difference and weight savings. Look at Weatherby's specs and you will notice overall length and weight for say a .270 win and 7mm-08 are the same. Then look at Kimber, Rem(same size barrels of course) and you will see what I am talking about.

Last edited by ChipM; 12/07/10.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can't make up your mind, buy both. That's what I did! The Weatherby seems to balance better. If you are counting ounces though, the Kimber is a shade lighter. You can't go wrong with either one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had stellar performance from both manufacturers but being that you're wanting a 7mm-08, I'd stick with the 84M. A .257 Roy in Ultra-lite would be the ticket. JMO

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I went to the gun shop specifically to buy a Kimber until I held one. I ended up with the Mark V Ultra-Lightweight. Beautifully balanced, 24" barrel.... I have done very little load development thus far. But 100 gr. TTSXes over 51.0 gr of 4350 prints groups that can be covered by quarter (and often much smaller.......operator incompetence, no doubt) with boring regularity.

Hmmm, Montana felt like a club????????????????????????? I would go Montana over the Mark V...It just makes too much sense and it is at least 5-600 cheaper with a better stock

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by tgumby4

Weatherby's Mark V, 6 lug action is one size for '06 length cases. Companies like Kimber, Rem, etc make 2 lengths(std calibers) a short action and a long action, there is about 1/2" difference and weight savings. Look at Weatherby's specs and you will notice overall length and weight for say a .270 win and 7mm-08 are the same. Then look at Kimber, Rem(same size barrels of course) and you will see what I am talking about.

+1

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My experience with the Wby UL's, either they shoot or they won't. I owned two in 280 Rem that would not shoot. I now own one that does and will hang onto it like a squirrel on a limb.

I wouldn't own a Kimber if you gave me one.

All Wby Mark V's are long action. The difference in bolt stroke is made up by a slot cut in the bottom of the bolt to shorten it for short action cartridges.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

They are coming outta the woodwork,as of late.

Santa is being especially good to me this year..................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My experience with the Wby UL's, either they shoot or they won't. I owned two in 280 Rem that would not shoot. I now own one that does and will hang onto it like a squirrel on a limb.

I wouldn't own a Kimber if you gave me one.

All Wby Mark V's are long action. The difference in bolt stroke is made up by a slot cut in the bottom of the bolt to shorten it for short action cartridges.

sounds like good logic to me, you are doing the right thing I think! You bought two of the Weatherby's that would not shoot, thus admiting that in your hands 66.6% of their rifles are bad, carry on!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

It's real. I'm just telling you what I found when I picked the rifle up and shouldered it........ad nauseum (that means "a lot").

I went to the shop, cash in hand, to BUY the Montana. I did as much reading research as I could and had determined that it was the rifle to suit my need. The rifle I looked over was a 7mm-08 wearing a Bushnell 3200 3-9. It felt like a Mossberg 835 in my hands. Maybe the Montana makes the rest of the world gushy. But I won't waste my time looking at another one. My kids' Vanguard Compacts weigh the same, feel better in my hands and WILL NOT be outshot by any Kimber I ever saw at our range.

Ho ho ho !!!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=Big Stick][quote=Jeffrey][quote=Yoder409]Have you handled both? The Kimber Montana feels like a club to me.

[Linked Image]
My kids' Vanguard Compacts weigh the same, feel better in my hands and WILL NOT be outshot by any Kimber I ever saw at our range.

They're a full pound heavier with 2" less barrel & a pos rubber band stock...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 12/08/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
someone's in the sauce tonight!!!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

It's real. I'm just telling you what I found when I picked the rifle up and shouldered it........ad nauseum (that means "a lot").

I went to the shop, cash in hand, to BUY the Montana. I did as much reading research as I could and had determined that it was the rifle to suit my need. The rifle I looked over was a 7mm-08 wearing a Bushnell 3200 3-9. It felt like a Mossberg 835 in my hands. Maybe the Montana makes the rest of the world gushy. But I won't waste my time looking at another one. My kids' Vanguard Compacts weigh the same, feel better in my hands and WILL NOT be outshot by any Kimber I ever saw at our range.

Ho ho ho !!!!!

Lucky for you,you'll always have your Dreams and Imagination to fall back upon.

Congratulations?....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a 7MAG so it not realy an ultra light. I like it better than the Montana mainly because of the floorplate and better stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the blind mags and hold the fluff.

There ain't much that'll hang with a Montucky 7 Whizzum and that assuredly ain't it,nor close..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Montana, but I like my 84M better (2 pos saftey)....7-08 is hard to beat for my money

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.