Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dabears Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Looking for a good bipod to stick on my AR-15 to hunt coyotes.....any good ideas?

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Harris is always a safe bet.

D
dabears Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
thanks

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you are using the long 30 round mags, the 6-9" will likely be too short.

I like the 9-13" swivel for prone, and have a 12-25" for sitting.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I also favor the 20 round magazines. The 30 rounders are a little too long for comfortable prone bipod use, without being jammed in the dirt.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't not like the Harris 25S - No problems with 20 or 30 round mags.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 25S is too short for me. I use the 6"-9" versions on the bench and prone but for hunting I prefer sticks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TWR
The 25S is too short for me.

+1. I'm not sure what your terrain is like in Virginia but out here I usually try to get a little elevation when calling. That usually means that I end up sitting on a slope. A bipod that works on flat ground may be too short for you when setting on a slope. The other thing to consider is that coyotes not only come from different directions but they come in ways that require you to make elevation changes. (I'm not sure I made that very clear.) A fixed bipod is hard, if not impossible, to make big elevation changes while a coyote is approaching. I find fixed bipods noisy as well.

For these reasons, I prefer the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod. It still moves with your rifle when changing directions like a Harris but you can also spread the legs or bring them together to make quick elevation changes as a coyote comes to your stand. I use the sitting/kneeling height bipod for most of my stands and carry a prone height bipod in my cargo pocket. The SP RPB has plenty of adjustment to use sitting on even the steepest slope and there are no springs so its quiet to deploy and not as noisy if you hit something as you turn to line up on an incoming coyote.

I still prefer the Harris bipods for my varmint shooting. The Harris' are the steadiest bipods I've found.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I prefer sticks for calling dogs. But Harris bipods are the best bipods IMO.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About the only place I can like a bipod,is on an AR or an XP-100.

Make mine a 9-13" swivel,less detents.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run the 25S from prone @12" 99% of the time. Occasionally I will use it in a sitting position if the stand demands it/can't find a spot to go prone. The 25S offers the benefit of a solid prone or sitting rest very quickly and consistently. Prone in the snow with whites on is the next thing to virtually invisible, even if you have to move for a shot, the coyotes will generally ignore your movement.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like to shoot from a pack,or setting with elbows in knees...though I can/will slum shooting sticks now and again.

By and large,I hate bipods though I've quite a herd of 'em...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I like to shoot from a pack,or setting with elbows in knees...though I can/will slum shooting sticks now and again.

By and large,I hate bipods though I've quite a herd of 'em...............

+1...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of it is going to come down to the country you're hunting in. Hunting without a bipod in this area is a handicap. I've hunted with guys that use sticks and they lose a lot of opportunities due to their inability to get them into action before the animal is gone or at least on the move. When I hunt in heavy timber I leave the bipod at home, semi open country I have it on the rifle in case I need it. I'm a prone guy if at all possible and sticks don't lend themselves well to that position. Speaking strictly to coyote hunting, I don't think sticks create an issue being you're already set up prior to the animal showing itself and they do provide more options for height.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like to keep a Killin' Rifle slim/trim and the last thing I wanna do,is start bolting schitt to it.

I'm slow to weigh "most guys" as a barometer of evaluation,in regards to that which is possible,plausible or reliable.

But I've seen me shoot..................(grin)

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I like shooting with the Versa pod, but I don't like carrying the thing. Very flexible to make height adjustments by narrowing up the legs (easy to do with one hand). The have a nice adapter for AR free float tubes also. Too bad those buggers are so heavy.

D
dabears Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the info guys! The area I hunt in is mostly open and hilly. I have a set of shooting sticks but was looking to add a bipod since the only thing I use the AR for is coyotes. I'm guessing that the longer bipod would work best for me since it is hilly and I prefer to set on the ground rather than go prone. It also looks like Harris seems to be prefered by most so I think I will go that route.....if I don't like them you can keep a look out for a set in the free classifieds! HA

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ranger1
I run the 25S from prone @12" 99% of the time. Occasionally I will use it in a sitting position if the stand demands it/can't find a spot to go prone. The 25S offers the benefit of a solid prone or sitting rest very quickly and consistently. Prone in the snow with whites on is the next thing to virtually invisible, even if you have to move for a shot, the coyotes will generally ignore your movement.

That is the size bipod I like best. And if I'm in an elevated position I agree the prone is the shnizzle. But most times I have to call from the sitting and for that I prefer sticks. Which the OP never asked about to begin with so I guess I'll STFU... grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AaroninMT
I like shooting with the Versa pod, but I don't like carrying the thing. Very flexible to make height adjustments by narrowing up the legs (easy to do with one hand). The have a nice adapter for AR free float tubes also. Too bad those buggers are so heavy.

I'd rather MPAJ and do...................

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 on the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot. I use a 5 round mag and could never see using more than a 10(for predator hunting). Do you guys expect to be attacked by a large pack of coyotes? I keep extra ammo in my pocket or truck, but don't need all that extra weight on the gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.