-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 3"+ COAL lightweight stainless/synthetic 7 Whizzum that drives tacks,don't take a second seat to much.

I'll take a 1st gen Ti,when talking 7-08..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,
Assume you're using the red 3M tape on the Montucky mag box also?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned both rifles in question and to be honest I wouldn't buy either, the Kimber owners either love em to death they think they are the best thing since sliced bread or they hate em like they are the worst POS they ever owned, I'm no rocket scientist but this tells me Kimber probably has some QC issues in house, as for the Weatherby Lightweight I liked the half dozen or so I've owned I just never found one that would shoot for chit or I'd still have a couple because to this day nothing feels better in My hands than a Weatherby MKV UltraLight, the deal breaker for me is the accuracy issue. If you want My advice get a Sako Mod 85 Finnlight and learn to live with their cheesy scope mounting system and you'll have a better overall rifle than either of the rifles you mentioned before..................Good luck............Hillbilly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My experience with the Wby UL's, either they shoot or they won't. I owned two in 280 Rem that would not shoot. I now own one that does and will hang onto it like a squirrel on a limb.

I wouldn't own a Kimber if you gave me one.

All Wby Mark V's are long action. The difference in bolt stroke is made up by a slot cut in the bottom of the bolt to shorten it for short action cartridges.

It is what it is. Why misrepresent? The actual rifles are superb in form and function. Sadly, accuracy is a sometimes thing with them.

sounds like good logic to me, you are doing the right thing I think! You bought two of the Weatherby's that would not shoot, thus admiting that in your hands 66.6% of their rifles are bad, carry on!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
.....or I'd still have a couple because to this day nothing feels better in My hands than a Weatherby MKV Lightweight, the deal breaker for me is the accuracy issue. If you want My advice get a Sako Mod 85 Finnlight and learn to live with their cheesy scope mounting system and you'll have a better overall rifle than either of the rifles you mentioned before.

I second that. My Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM is my trophy getter. The Wby 280 UL will keep the freezer full 'cause mine shoots very accurately.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
.....or I'd still have a couple because to this day nothing feels better in My hands than a Weatherby MKV Lightweight, the deal breaker for me is the accuracy issue. If you want My advice get a Sako Mod 85 Finnlight and learn to live with their cheesy scope mounting system and you'll have a better overall rifle than either of the rifles you mentioned before.

I second that. My Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM is my trophy getter. The Wby 280 UL will keep the freezer full 'cause mine shoots very accurately.

Uh-oh. shocked

Looks like two more drunken fools that have not yet learned you must bow at the Altar Kimber to be respected at this campfire. grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Yoder409
[quote=Big Stick][quote=Jeffrey][quote=Yoder409]Have you handled both? The Kimber Montana feels like a club to me.

[Linked Image]
My kids' Vanguard Compacts weigh the same, feel better in my hands and WILL NOT be outshot by any Kimber I ever saw at our range.

They're a full pound heavier with 2" less barrel & a pos rubber band stock...

No. Not a full pound heavier. And yes a 20 inch barrel. But both Howa-bees are still sitting in the painted beechwood stocks (which are more appealing to the eye than the primer gray Kimbers). I haven't put the pos rubber band ones on yet and I'll STILL shoot any Kimber I ever saw at our range for pink slips.

Pretty embarassing, really.

Last edited by Yoder409; 12/09/10.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Montucky 7 Whizzum will stay inside 3" at the 705yd line,with 6x glass.

For starters..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But that was only after proper break-in. grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Which to date,is yet ongoing.

With aplomb................(grin)

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
But that was only after proper break-in. grin

IIRC it's with a cow barrel too...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no, it's a bull barrel! everyone know you need a bull barrel to shoot long distance... grins

I can't spell... Deal with it...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My sako can shoot .486194837465" groups with a crosswind...ALL DAY LONG. Pink slips anyone?

That's rich.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
no, it's a bull barrel! everyone know you need a bull barrel to shoot long distance... grins

Shucks, I'd forgotten to buy the bull barrel version when I picked up my Montucky 7wsm.....Should I send this one back to get it reworked?

[Linked Image]

I mean, I was pretty happy flinging 3 162 amax's and a lonely 120gr TSX into one RCH over 4" at 741 yards, but I guess if I go with the bull version I should be able to cut that in half right?

I blame Stick for steering me wrong with this rifle....After all, he did urge me to buy it, and he did give me the loads, and he did indicate that he figured a 3.5-10X40 with M1's *might* work on it....In Talley lows....

Yup, Stick's fault.

IN FACT, every rifle I've bought of late has been Stick's fault......I'm seeing a trend.....grin

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 12/09/10.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my Montana 300WSM typically goes right around 1/2" at 100 yds with the 150 NP's and TSX's and has shot around 4" from the bench at 500 yds (a far as i can shootat my buddies farm) several times.

I couldnt be happier with mine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear good things about Cow Barrels..................

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I owned a Montana that had left side feed issues but was 'hunting accurate' and handy. Fit and finish were OK for a $1,000 rifle but all around the rifle was just 'mediocre' weighing the pros/cons. Closely inspected many Weatherby Ultralights in comparison. Preferred the Weatherby stock but the fit and finish was unacceptable for a $1,500 rifle. The safety engagement felt sloppy as if all of the components had been cannibalized off a Swingline stapler. So both rifles are mediocre in different ways but will get the job done. Both have fleas in different areas - just search around and inspect for yourself during your due diligence.

You can get a lot more rifle for your money by looking elsewhere. I would rather buy a higher quality rifle with the same or less investment and just carry the extra 1.5 pounds on my shoulder. The new FN Model 70's seem like a decent option if buying new and I prefer them to both the Kimber and Weatherby. Even better, find a quality vintage rifle manufactured in the era before overpriced rifles made from injected molded plastic and metal became the norm and corner cutting the priority.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A trigger tweak,dab bed the lug and correct assembly...has been knowed to do wonders.

Hint..................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A trigger tweak,dab bed the lug and correct assembly...has been knowed to do wonders.

Hint..................

Darn shame that $1000+ rifles can't come from the factory properly bedded, assembled and with a good trigger. Seriously.

Gotta agree with Powder Burn that the Ultra Lightweight is comprised of a few cheesy pieces for a gun in its price range. As far as fit & finish goes, I'm not too unimpressed with mine. It does shoot extremely well and the stock fits me like a glove. But the bottom line is, that TO ME the Mark V UL is far, far and away the superior rifle between it and the Montana. Your results may vary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm happy to save the cash and assure things is to my standards.

Win/win..................

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.