CLICK HERE for CARTRIDGE-SPECIFIC RIFLESCOPE TECHNOLOGY from NIKON!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#4155213 - 06/10/10 Re: JB's Article "Cartridge Efficiency" [Re: BountyHunter]
Red_Monkey Offline

Loc: Sweet Home Alabama
John,
Check out the July issue of Rifle, especially 'Straight Talk' by Ron Spomer. He really GOOF on the 6.8 SPC big time!! He said it's a "necked up .223 Remington case", and puts little value in the 115 gr. bullet for deer. Read the article for yourself, you have hands on experience with the 6.8 and know what it will do. We're still waiting for your article on the 6.8X43!!!
Hal

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE for a GREAT DEAL on a HOWA 1500 from WHITTAKERS!
#4185293 - 06/22/10 Re: JB's Article "Cartridge Efficiency" [Re: RickBin]
widgen Offline

hi could you tell me is there much differents between 45 grain winchester hollow points and 55 grain hollow points i am only shooting foxes

#4471578 - 10/04/10 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: RickBin]
LBP Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Central, Texas
JB, I'm new to the campfire so maybe I have missed the topic. What are your thoughts on the 223 and 22-250 for deer and lopes?

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

#4477192 - 10/06/10 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: LBP]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
They work.

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015

#4542667 - 10/28/10 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: Mule Deer]
billg Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Alabama
MD--Bear with me, I know practically nothing about reloading--but I'm curious about a couple of things. I've used the Hornady light mags and thought they were agood round--now they've come out with the "Superformance" ammo. It appears to be about the same as the light-mag without the additional recoil(from what I've read--have not tried them yet). I'm curious in two ways 1) if I pulled the sst bullet out of the super round and substituted a tougher bullet of the same shape and weight--would the bullet perform the same,(mv, energy, traj , etc.) 2) what would be the inherant problems if I stuck in a lighter bullet ( pull a 140g 270 and replace with a 110g 270)? Thanks--Bill

#4544714 - 10/29/10 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: billg]
1OntarioJim Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: N. Shore, L. Ontario
If you have the reloading equipment that will allow you to start substituting components why are you not developing your own loads? At your level of experience I don't think it would be wise to start experimenting on your own. For example, in your second question about substituting lighter bullets the powder in the case may not be well suited to the lighter weight of bullet. It might work, but then again it might not and if so, what have you gotten for your efforts?

I think you have to make a choice. Either stick to factory ammo or else get into reloading, read and understand the manuals and develope the experience to tune ammo to your gun.

Just remember, the advice may be worth just what you paid for it. smile

Jim

#4554373 - 11/01/10 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: 1OntarioJim]
billg Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Alabama
BTT--for MD or someone who might have an opinion about my questions--Bill

#4575906 - 11/08/10 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: billg]
gunswizard Offline
Campfire Guide

I read with interest the comments regarding the .257 and .300 Weatherby, several years ago i borrowed a friend's .257WM to deer hunt with and found it to be a really nice rifle and cartridge. Can't say the same thing about the .300WM, that rifle was just plain ornery and kicked the snot out of me every time I squeezed the trigger. My elk rifle is a pre '64 Winchester M/70 which I regularly shoot 275gr. handloads with wo I am acquainted with rifles that kick hard. That .300WM had recoil that I just found to be untolerable, the guy that it belonged to used to get a bloody lip from the thing ramming his thumb into his lip just about every time he fired it. Not my idea of an ideal rifle by a long shot.

#4691981 - 12/12/10 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: RickBin]
elliesbear Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
My intent is not to offend anyone, but a legitimate [to me at least] question. What is the advantage of a fast twist [1in8] 22 centerfire...223, .223AI,etc.? I fully understand it allows one to shoot heavier bullets [longer bearing surface] I certainly enjoy the .22 centerfire [I have and shoot/hunt with, .204, .222, 22-250, 22-250AI] However, I've always shot lighter bullets...typically 36gr, 53gr for coyotes, 53gr TSX,60gr. NPT's for deer or perhaps longer distances. If I want to shoot heavier bullets, i.e., 70 to 80gr. I shoot a 6mm Rem, .25 WSSM [HORRORS] My 6mm is a Ruger #1 and a 26" barrel and will shoot 75gr bullets pretty fast and is accurate enough to hit a coyote @ 400yds if it's not too windy and I manage to do my part. Are the fast twist .22's an economy issue? a recoil issue? a noise issue? Again this is not an argument..maybe I need a fast twist .22 centerfire? Thanks for advice and council. I might add, the very best reason to own/shoot a cartdrige is just because we like it.

#4835429 - 01/19/11 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: elliesbear]
tucsonan Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Tucson, AZ
The advantage to shooting heavier bullets for a given caliber is a higher ballistic coefficient. This doesn't always equate to a flatter trajectory, as velocity will be reduced, but it seems to help considerably with wind-drift. I also like 22 center fires, particularly the .22 BR, and there is no comparing the wind-drift of a typical 50 grain bullet to that of an 80 grainer fired from it.

#4907818 - 02/06/11 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: tucsonan]
MCT3 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Gator Country, USA
John,

I have a lot of respect for your opinions based on your practical and knowledgeable posts that I've read since joining the campfire. As pertaining to this topic, I've hunted deer most of my life and admittedly, I'm smitten with Whitetail (any deer) hunting. I love the challenge of hunting a mature buck who kicks my azz most of the time. I cut my teeth on 270 wins and 30-06's. In the past 5 years, I've come to enjoy more moderate calibers for deer such as, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 7x57. Partly, because they're more fun to shoot and I enjoy the challenge "of catching larger fish on reasonable lighter tackle" but also, I want my young son who has the hunting bug to start out with effective calibers that he can handle and learn good shooting technique. Currently, I'm on a 6.5x55, 7mm-08 and 7x57 kick and have a few rifles in each. I'll hunt with them, learn about their effectiveness and ultimately weed a few out to make room for a few other interesting calibers. I'm interested in your opinion on 257 Roberts versus 25-06 (already know about the limited availability of factory ammo for the 257, I currently don't reload but have access) or any other recommendations that you have. Thanks for your time.

#4909619 - 02/07/11 Re: Ask John Barsness Questions About "CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY" [Re: MCT3]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
MCT3,

Thanks for the kind comments.

In my experience, the .257 Roberts is just as effective at killing whitetails as any of the rounds you mention.

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
88 registered (79S, 222Sako, 25classic, 356tsw, 87notch, 9 invisible), 343 Guests and 223 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,494 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,757 Topics
10,009,627 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.