Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Tried a new tent and bag this fall, thought I'd put up a few pictures and my initial impressions of each. Last year I did a little review on a couple of four season tents here.

Prolite doesn't stock Allak's, but they carry Hilleberg so getting one in was not a problem. In searching for another tent to try I set up and got in all of the 1200 Kerlon 2-person Hille's (Nallo's, Jannu, etc.) and Terra Nova's Superlite Quasar. I originally thought that the Jannu might be the ticket, but the ventilation system is better suited to very cold weather only (which is what it was designed for). As I mentioned in last year's review, I prefer a little bit more length than the Nallo inner tent offers. Despite that fact, the incredible space:weight ratio of the Nallo 2 had me between that and the Allak.

The accessibility to the vestibules and the freestanding design of the Allak eventually tipped the scales for me--at the cost of @ 1.25 lbs. over the Nallo 2. I've got other light shelters, so if I want to go u.l. I can.

Allak Pros:
-Free standing and excellent stability w/ guylines, easy to set up
-The fly comes all the way down to the ground, so the wind/weather protection was awesome
-Two fully acessible vestibules; this is my favorite thing about the tent. I can access the entire vestibule from inside my sleeping bag. Not the biggest vestibules, but big spaces like the GT vestibule are much less usable except for overnight gear storage.
-Plenty of interior space and 91" length; my long bag did not touch the end
-Great ventilation range. No condensation with two rain/slush soaked inhabitants.
-The door configurations are endlessly versatile, but possibly a bit overdone. This is really a pro and con for me.

Allak Cons:
-The weight. Not a heavy load by 10 yr. ago standards, but there are lighter options in the same functional range. This is not a result of poor design, it's just the price you pay for freestanding, bombproof, and lots of features. 5 3/4 lbs. by my scale.
-As mentioned above, the inner tent doors have too many zippers and configurations. I would trade a standard double zip and screen for the extra ounces of zipper that you get.

Bottom line: absolutely love it. Don't plan on selling this one soon, unless to fund another Hilleberg.

I wanted a two season bag that I could push to 3+, and the Mirage caught my eye some time ago. Decided to give Valandre a go and was not dissapointed. Decided to go with the 3/4 zip because the 1/2 zip is more like 1/4.

Mirage Pros:
-Lofts like nothing I've seen.
-Incredible warmth:weight ratio. Packs down tiny, as you'd expect.
-The cut is what makes this bag. Incredibly efficient, and allows for some upper body layering.
-Good DWR

Mirage Cons:
-None to date

Bottom line: There is a reason Valandre is legend despite minimal advertising. Other top end companies have high quality down, it's the design that makes this bag what it is. For the record I won't compare to WM since I've not had one.

I should have a better feel for both tent and bag after spring bear and another field season.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great review. Looks like a great tent. But, did I read that right, 2 inhabitants? Was it kinda cramped? If'n I could get the heated tent idea out of my melon, I'd really like to get something along this line.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good review, SM.
I like the idea of the 2 openings on that tent, or the vestible?
Anyway, looks like a nice setup with both items.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pointer
Great review. Looks like a great tent. But, did I read that right, 2 inhabitants? Was it kinda cramped? If'n I could get the heated tent idea out of my melon, I'd really like to get something along this line.

It's a little over 32 square feet, which is bigger than most 3-season tents, and there are only a few 2-person 4-season tents with significantly more (the Jannu is 36, one reason I was interested). Cramped is subjective of course; to me it's pretty roomy. My solo/2-man alpine tent is 26 square feet, and my others have all been in the 30 range.

One of the biggest benefits of a floor and less luxurious space is the temp increase from bodies. Easily 10-20 degrees in my better tents. That means I can (and have) push my 20 oz. Rab bag down into the 20's without a stove.

So compared to a tipi, it's way less roomy. Just depends on what your priorities are for a shelter. Ideally you'd have one of each! smile

Also, you can pitch the fly and poles alone for a very light and spacious setup. Putting a small stove jack in would be quite possible. An arrangement with the existing "ceiling" vents would be likely. Here is a photo with the vents wide open and the mini-fly over them removed.

Ceiling Vents

Last edited by SnowyMountaineer; 12/14/10. Reason: added vent photo
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 340boy
Very good review, SM.

Yep, there are two doors on the tent and vestibule.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just depends on what your priorities are for a shelter. Ideally you'd have one of each!
I hear that! Now if my pocketbook and wife would agree... Any tips?

I've definitely noticed the warmth increase from bodies, but we're usually in a 8X8 Kelty, which is about 2X that size and WEIGHT.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any tips?

Find a buddy with a solid tent or a tipi and buy whichever he lacks. Works for me. smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Me too.

Empirical results rule!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nice write up by the way. Your pictures make me wish it were October 22nd again, it goes too fast.

One day I need to steal that Mirage for a test drive.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Originally Posted by 340boy
Very good review, SM.

Yep, there are two doors on the tent and vestibule.

I just noticed your other vent photo's, SM.
Impressive, makes my ID Mega Sola(olive green) look like a dungeon!
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The Mega Sola is a cool shelter though, I'd hang on to that (and anything else ID) for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any tips?

Find a buddy with a solid tent or a tipi and buy whichever he lacks. Works for me. smile
laugh Now if I could just shorten the 1500+ mile one way trip so I could do it more often.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Mega Sola is a cool shelter though, I'd hang on to that (and anything else ID) for sure.

Oh yes.
Agreed 100%.
I have a ID bivy sack(unishelter eVent) a siltarp, and some of their waterproof stuff sacks.
I want to try one of their eVent storm shells one of these days, that, or a Westcomb.
(drool)

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice write up man! The mirage is pretty much amazing. Weight to warmth is incredible.

Dig the flame by the way smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Valandre bags sound fantastic.

James Elroy Flecker

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 53 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.