J
I just saw a Yugo M48 for 279 and it looked like it
was brand new.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I also am afflicted with the Mauser problem. Have a 1946 Military Turk in 8x57, a 1915 Berlin action made into a 35 Whelen, and a 1917 Spandau at the smith's getting a 6.5 Swede barrel installed. I love 'em.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i too have the same problem.
96 in 300 savage
vz 24 in 300 win mag
turk in 308 win
and another turk in 8x57 that in the blocks for a new build as soon as i can decide on the cartridge

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I bought a wood-stocked commercial mauser (don't know which) some years back at a show in WA state, from gunsmith Chapman out of Ferndale. He rebarreled it in 30-06 for a guy who never picked it up. Shilen CM barrel. Figured it was a good buy at $375. Put it in a midway plastic stock that I rasped about a pound of plastic off of to make it somewhat usable. Heavy - 8.5 lbs scoped, even with the non-steel bottom metal. But, it has fired only three shots in anger, and each resulted in a nice muley.

Last evening I finished chipping about a pound of steelbed or marine-tex out of the barrel channel of a bansner I bought for it off this board, hogged out the old bedding, and rebedded it. It now sits light and pretty at 7.5 lbs, sans some fluffy fill I need to bed the barrel channel with to fill the big gap.

I was doing this rebed work in preparation to sell it, seeing as I'm moving everything in the faux ti direction. After spending some time on it, I know that I can't. The only thing left I'd like for it is some steel bottom metal, as the trigger guard is a bit thin to be aluminum/pot.

I can relate.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
http://www.gswagner.com/

Try this link. Has lots of things you can do to a mauser.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Having the Mauser disease can never be considered a problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave93
Having the Mauser disease can never be considered a problem.

You must be a carrier and immune to it's insidious and costly side effects.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Maybe we need a Mauser support group? I have about 5-6 right now in various forms of funtion or disfuntion just waiting for the right project.

ddj

Well as long as the cure remains as elusive as that $225 minty Type "A"! wink

What I like about Mausers is sometimes I forget about the ones I have and find one in the back of one of the gunsafes. It's like having a new gun all over again. Recently I picked up a butchered up M1893 FN Herstal 7x57. It looks like it might have been one of the rifles made by FN for Uruguay. The bore is spotless. This and the fact that I had never seen an FN made M1893 (albeit butchered)was the reason I grabbed it up. I'm turning it into a little LW "plains" style rifle with express sights and a dainty little stock. When it's in a presentable state, I'll post pics.

Kaywoodie

Last edited by kaywoodie; 12/15/10.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hello, I too suffer from the disease. I've got a beautiful 358 Winchester on a pre-war Mauser (purchased from Griffin & Howe), a Swedish M96 with Elite aperture sights, a Serb Model 48 with Lyman 48 sights, two Serb M24/47s and another one that I can't recall.

I've been looking for a winter project - one in which some butcher home gunsmith has started and never completed or has only partially completed. I don't know why I can't leave a homeless Mauser just sitting on a gun shop's racks, but I feel that I need to give them all a good home.

By the way, there is a Model 98 (8X57mm) on Gunbroker.com that the shop originally wanted $500 about 6 months ago, but the reserve price is now $420. I've put in several bids but they were rejected. The stock looks nice, it has Williams peep sights, is not drilled for a scope (add gunsmith costs) and seems to have some rust & pitting under the bolt handle. All in all, it is a good project rifle, but the price is higher than I want to spend for it. Maybe another Mauser addict will take it home and give it some TLC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mauser disease is actually kind of like being a genius, so don't worry.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
exactly

money and time are investments rather than preoccupation

only my resources limit my ability to give back to the community through restoring old 98s

but am again accepting donations...

Defend the Constitution
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
tomk, have you considered setting up a kettle on street corners (like the Salvation Army does)? How many quarters do you need to do the restorations you feel is necessary? smile

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
kaboku68,
If you get buyers remorse, I may take it off your hands! grin
I'm that kind of a guy. Always ready to help my fellow loony.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Phil, I have a disease I'm sure, but it is lackacash not Mauser disease. Because of the inspiration from guys like MD and yourself and Finn Aagaard and T D Kelsey my rifles are all FN all the time. Congratulations on your most recent purchase. grin

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
kab..,

You have it wrong. Mauser is not a disease. Mauser is the CURE grin

O

Too old to suffer fools
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
quarter year's wages maybe should help me continue for a bit....

Defend the Constitution
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
kab..,

You have it wrong. Mauser is not a disease. Mauser is the CURE grin

O

I like that!!!!
grin

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The only disease to rival Mauser Disease is Mannlicher Schoenauer Disease. Having both is a terrible condition. I remember Mausers for $10 each, and as late as five years ago I bought VZ24s for $65. I also bought MS 1903 Greek actions from Bill Rodgers at Springfield Sporters for $6 each. Those were the days!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
Once aquired the Mauser disease comes and goes - some what like malaria - but it is incurable. Fortunately you can easily find temporary relief at many gun shops and gun shows.
I obtained some relief at the local gunshow this weekend. It's a 1921 vintage Oberndorf model B sporter.
[Linked Image]

Nice grab Phil!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 458Win
Once aquired the Mauser disease comes and goes - some what like malaria - but it is incurable. Fortunately you can easily find temporary relief at many gun shops and gun shows.
I obtained some relief at the local gunshow this weekend. It's a 1921 vintage Oberndorf model B sporter.
[Linked Image]

I've had both disease and it cost alot less to cure malaria than it does the Mauser disease!!!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 53 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.