Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Santa Claus came early this year and delivered my custom McHale pack earlier this week. It is a 38" LBP made out of 500d Cordura (Coyote Brown) and Spectra/Dyneema (Dyed Gray). This first picture shows the pack in its basic configuration (no top lid or water bottle pockets):

[Linked Image]

As shown it weighs in at about 4.5 lbs and has approximately 4500 cubic inches. The bottom and back pouch are constructed of Spectra/Dyneema.

This next picture shows the pack fully configured with the top lid and water bottle pockets:

[Linked Image]

The top lid and water bottle pockets add another 3/4 of a pound and push the volume to approximately 4700 cubic inches.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the price?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The pack has meet my expectations. Dan is an artist in his own right. Everything is well thought out and done right.

As a custom build, I had Dan do the following options:

- Upsized frame stays and shoulder straps for heavy 100 lbs + loads.
- Oversized the back pouch for additional storage.
- Organizing pockets inside of the back pouch.
- Extra loops inside the main bag on the frame sleeve for lashing points to attach my meat baggie.
- 500d Cordura main bag and accessories in Coyote Brown for extra strength and abrasion resistance.
- Spectra/Dyneema back pouch for extra durability.
- Frame extensions that allow it to be used for a low profile day pack, or extended for heavy/tall loads that necessitate load lifter straps or extra storage.

While I obviously haven't used this pack much yet, I expect it to work very well compressed down for day/overnight scouting trips or fully expanded for week long bivy hunts. The back pouch works perfectly for storing a rain coat and fleece in the bottom with my 65mm scope and tripod on top, for easy access. The waist belt pockets, which are removable, will easily hold a range finder and release aid in a single pocket. The varied compression straps, horizontal and vertical, are all removable to you can customize your pack to the trip and leave any unnecessary weight at home.

Another very satisfied McHale pack customer.

Last edited by russ_outdoors; 12/15/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the price?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Brad
What's the price?

If I remember right, the base price for my particular model was $475. All of my extras noted above added another $300. Not cheap by any means! But as much as I use my packs, I expect to get my money's worth over the years.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$775 for a pack with an antiquated suspension?

Damn...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Damn...

Real class Brad, real class..........

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stacey, you have nearly zero experience with internal frames living in the central valley of California... your point is?

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
The pack has meet my expectations. Dan is an artist in his own right. Everything is well thought out and done right.

As a custom build, I had Dan do the following options:

- Upsized frame stays and shoulder straps for heavy (100 lbs + loads).
- Oversized the back pouch for additional storage.
- Organizing pockets inside of the back pouch.
- Extra loops inside the main bag on the frame sleeve for lashing points to attach my meat baggie.
- 500d Cordura main bag and accessories in Coyote Brown for extra strength and abrasion resistance.
- Spectra/Dyneema back pouch for extra durability.
- Frame extensions that allow it to be used for a low profile day pack, or extended for heavy/tall loads that necessitate load lifter straps or extra storage.

While I obviously haven't used this pack much yet, I expect it to work very well compressed down for day/overnight scouting trips or fully expanded for week long bivy hunts. The back pouch works perfectly for storing a rain coat and fleece in the bottom with my 65mm scope and tripod on top, for easy access. The waist belt pockets, which are removable, will easily hold a range finder and release aid in a single pocket. The varied compression straps, horizontal and vertical, are all removable to you can customize your pack to the trip and leave any unnecessary weight at home.

Another very satisfied McHale pack customer.

Congrats, Russ! I am sure that you will get many, many satisfied years of service from it. I own three of his packs and also feel that they are a work of art. I spent $950 each on two of them, and around $475 for the last one, and love the comfort and build quality of each of them. They are kind of an heirloom to me, and will be handed down to my sons.

Last edited by Vigilguy; 12/15/10.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Russ,

Congrats on a very nice pack, a pard is very pleased with his as well. Dan knows his stuff no doubt.

Thanks for sharing,

MtnHtr

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Damn...

I thought the same thing when I first saw Dan's website a few years ago. In fact, that was the main reason I passed at the time. However, reading first hand accounts of people who have actually used his products over the years changed my mind.

Dan's suspensions have a number of features that are somewhat unique to his packs including double waist belt buckles, bypass harness, top frame extensions, and his Q-Bayo feature.

Having now used one of Dan's packs, I have found them to be every bit the equal if not superior to offerings I have used from companies like Mystery Ranch, Gregory, Badlands, Mountain Smith, et. al. I no longer believe that thermo-molding, thick multi density foam, plastic stiffeners, 3D mesh, catenary cuts, etc. are necessary for a great suspension.

As for price, it is no doubt expensive. I'm hoping in ten years I won't remember how much it cost. :-) However, someone could easily purchase a basic and truly custom pack from Dan for similar cost, or not much more, than packs offered by Kifaru or Mystery Ranch.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Damn...

You have any experience/used Mchale packs to compare to others?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
russ,
Its a one time purchase,mine cost alot more than yours,if that makes you feel better.They are great packs.Mine served me good on two sheep hunts.I still have my Barneys and MR crew cab for beater packs. I've owned a Kifaru LH Guide,MRCB NICE Behemoth,a couple different Eberlestocks.The Mchale pack I have is the best pack I've owned.I use it for extended trips,crew cab for shorter trips and AZ deer hunts.

I think my wife is gonna get a KUIU when they are available.Maybe for her B-day.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Congrats on the new pack. I think you'll find it's antiquated in the sense that good wool socks, custom mausers and the 30-06 are antiquated.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Very nice pack, Russ. The antiquated comment is funny to me too...I think Dan's packs are still leaps and bounds ahead of the others on the market as far as the design of the suspension system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two, along with the whole NICE system, and had the Arcteryx Bora, the Kifaru packs and several ultralights, and have had just about everything you can think of. Dan's packs still seem to be the ones that makes the trip with me. Understand though, I'm not the one carrying the whole sheep off the mountain, as I have to go guided; but, it carries my gear for two weeks well.
Don

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Damn...

you know what they say..........
progress, something that takes the place of something better grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Russ, I sincerely apologize for being so abrasive with my opinion... you have only yourself to please and I'll leave it at that.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That antiquated comment was so uninformed as to be a joke right!?

I've been trying for years to get the kind of fit from off the rack packs that Mchale customers rave about. I've actually sent back packs from the big 2 pack companies due to poor fit of their "custom design" which is essentially a production pack with adjustable yoke. No slight to them- I'm not an avg size guy a bit difficult to fit with off the rack merchandise- both had excellent customer service.

After a few conversations with these folks it appears there are some patents owned by Mr Mchale that are difficult to design around and get that good old "Antiquated" custom fit they are all trying to achieve.

After 200miles+ since August with my latest "Semi custom" XL pack that developed a horrendous squeak [that left REI and the manufacturer with no answer] I'm finally ready to bite the bullet on a custom. By the way, kudos to REI for taking that pack back after being beat from the Alaska range to the Rockies and back more than once. Thats some customer satisfaction right there!

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Russ, I sincerely apologize for being so abrasive with my opinion... you have only yourself to please and I'll leave it at that.

No problem Brad. While I am obviously very excited about my new pack, it will take another hunting season before I will know for sure how well it works.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
217 members (2UP, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.