Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Didn't see a better forum for this, so decided to post it here. I figure that a lot of AR owners (like me) also have other semi-autos like the mini 14...

Well, along with my 10-22 and Smith 45 (also have reviews posted for them), I shot my Ruger mini at the range yesterday - testing 5 loads in it. It did good with 3 of them so so with one and poorly with the 5th - kind of ammo sensitive. Ran like a clock though with 100% function. I think the sights are a bit coarse and the trigger is OK but also adds to group size.

This is a Nebraska State Police trade-in that I got used recently from http://www.budsgunshop.com $499 shipped to my dealer. I've bought several guns from these guys and am really impressed with their service and integrity. No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way - just a happy customer. smile

This particular carbine is serial number 186-8XXXX which means that it was assembled in 1997 - and that means that it sports a Ruger-made hammer forged barrel with 1:9 twist rate. Which is good IMHO.

Having read all kinds of things about these carbines, I was anxious to see for myself just how it would shoot.

Here it is waiting for the run-through with the ammo shot:

[Linked Image]

And here are the results: First is Winchester WB (order as pictured in above): As you can see, about 3" - these are all at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

And here's the star: Privi Partizan soft points: (2 inches)

[Linked Image]

And the next: S&B - it did not like this stuff at all.

[Linked Image]

And then American Eagle (about 4"):

[Linked Image]

And finally, my handload which is a light load (2700 fps or so) with 55 gr Hornady plastic tips and Varget: (printed about a foot higher! but with a 3" group):

[Linked Image]

One thing you will notice - it printed each load to quite a different point of impact - and these were all 55 grain loads. The handload is quite light but the others should be similar...

Definately want to mate this with a good load and have it sighted for that load...

Overall, I think I did good. This is performing like I expected. I'm betting that it will do good with the new handload that I'm using for my AR's with 55 grain fmj bullets and W748 - going 3100 fps or so. If it shoot that into 3" then I'm happy.

I was trying to establish ammo preference and check function for this trip - next time, I'll shoot more rounds for group. 3 round really isn't the best test - but it gave me the info that I wanted for this trip.

The carbine can shoot decently - but it wants the ammo it wants...

Oh and if anybody is looking for Ruger factory mini 14 high capacity mags, the best prices I found were at CDNN http://www.cdnninvestments.com $24.95 for the 20 rounders and $29.95 for the 30's. One place was actually charging over $100 for the 30 rounders calling them "extremely rare" - yeah right...

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats about typical from what I've seen from mini's.. Its a shame the slander the name of the M14 family.

Bottom line if you are happy with a ruger, and a mini14 at that, then all is good in the world!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He he. I have 4 AR's and they are all 1MOA shooters. This is more like an AKM. Its not as accurate but its tough as nails.

Different animal. I don't judge it by the same accuracy standards as the AR - more like the AKM or even, the original issue M14 hmm?

I need to feed it some SS109 62 grain loads and see how it likes those - my AR's prefer them over the 55's and they all have the same 1:9 twist rate in their barrels.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just try to reload some 63 soft points from sierra... they usually work really good in rugers with 9 twists...

I just can't deal with ruger period. I"ll probably still be pissed at the old man when I die...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OSOK, you might try the Amega Mount. It replaces the top cover, and also attaches to the gas block. Reports say that it will really increase the accuracy, as well as provide an excellent rail mount for optics.

http://www.amegaranges.com/

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice. They are a spray and pray type deal. Looks like you got a shooter, relatively speaking.

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rost and Mannlicher - thanks for the tips!

And yeah, these aren't AR's by any stretch but really, they are the "good enough" from Voltaire's "the best is the enemy of the good enough"... no? oui?

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The cognitive dissonance I have with Mini's is that they make .223 into a 200-yd cartridge, which is a shame.

I like how they handle. I'd like to try one of the new ones. I had one about 10 years ago and it was fun and reliable, at least.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff O,

I disagree my friend. With a 4MOA Mini-14 I guarantee you that an enemy shooting at me, better keep his head down at 350 yards if I'm holding an open sight Mini. Same story if I have my 3MOA AK.

People spend so much time shooting from a bench that they think they really need 1MOA for a battle rifle. WW II Garands were accepted for service if they shot 6MOA or better. This was because the Army understood that even 6MOA will get you regular hits all the way out to 500 yards. But in order to really understand that, you have to do two things...Shoot a real rifle out to that distance, and step away from the bench once in a while.

Heck, go back to the late 19th century and TARGET rifles rarely shot 2MOA and they were shooting them out past 1,000 yards with open sights...and scoring hits.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The last Mini-14 I saw in action had had only a 3-9X scope put on it. It shot lots of groups into 1-1.25 inches at 50 yds. They were 5 shot groups to boot.
Those that get tweaked a bit, glass bedding, reworking the gas block, etc. often run 1-2 MOA. E

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Jeff O,

WW II Garands were accepted for service if they shot 6MOA or better. This was because the Army understood that even 6MOA will get you regular hits all the way out to 500 yards. But in order to really understand that, you have to do two things...Shoot a real rifle out to that distance, and step away from the bench once in a while.

Damn you're dumb...this coming from a SOTIC honor grad (they don't use benches at SOTIC).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
514 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.