Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We had a great deer season at our place. My wife shot her first ever whitetail buck, a nice 5x5 opening day after dinner. She made a fantastic long shot but the deer jumped and ran a little ways. We watched him bed down and after taking a long walk to get downwind of him again stalked within 20 yards to seal the deal. I was maybe more excited than her even! Next a buddy of ours shot a massive 4x5 with long tines and really thick bases. He green scored 165, and now he has a taxidermy bill! laugh The next day we went back to the same area and I got my eye on a gorgeous 6x6. I missed a couple of shots due to a bad case of buck fever but finally settled down and connected. Now I have a taxidermy bill too! Next we moved to a different part of the ranch where another friend of ours shot a nice 5x5 mule deer. That took care of the weekend. On Tuesday I got a text message while I was at work from another friend that he needed help getting his deer out of the hills. His was also a 6x6 whitetail, taken less than a 1/2 mile from where we shot ours at! What an incredible season. It was a great time and not only were we succesful, the most important thing was I got to share it with my wife who is also my best friend and 3 of the greatest guys you could ever want to be around! That is what its all about!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice bucks.

It's great you can share such hunts with family and friends. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a week well spent!

Don't know that I've ever seen such comparatively short G2s.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys! I don't know why for sure but there were more nice deer shot in my area than I can remember in a long time.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
scout-

Well done man!!! Nice deer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where you hunting at?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! I have quite a few points in SD that I am seriously thinking of cashing next year. Twould love to get a West River muley then head to the Hills for a whitetail. Now if I can convince the wife to give me a 2 week kitchen pass...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice deer Scout!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Heckuva hunt there 308. I'd love to hunt that country some day.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good deal on some great deer - congrats to all.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice bucks! Gotta love rifle hunting!!!! Those 6x6 are cool, and i reallly like the heavy 4x5. Mass and heighth....hard to beat!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scout, that was a fantastic season congrats.

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
All very nice WT's that one on the right is awesome!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking bunch of deer. I needed that - was kinda feeling down in the dumps today.

Thanks for posting.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Heckova season I'd say. Congrats to all of you, but especially your wife on her first deer.

Well done!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys! We hunt in central SD right along the river. Kind of a nice mix of mulies and whitetail. I am so excited that my wife is finally starting to take an interest in hunting and this sure helped it along!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
East or west side? That's what we do too, just 25 miles on the west side along 14. If I had to guess I'd say west side, but could look like some of the stuff between Pierre and Blunt as well.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
East side near Chamberlain.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Scout,

I love the Missouri River breaks but how many Mule deer do you see east of the river?

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Most of the deer at our place are mulies. The whitetail have usually been up on top but are getting overcrowded so they are getting pushed down into the hills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.