Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Hi Guy's,

I have a chance to purchase an old double barrel Cogswell and Harrison side by side shotgun. It has a serial number of 4209X and the woman that has the gun told me it was given to her Grandfather in 1916. Would any of you know if that year would correspond with the serial number? Just curious to know approx how old it is. Thanks in advance!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They have a website and would probably give you a certificate of origin.
Too many variables for me to answer expertly.
Is it a boxlock or sidelock. Damascus or steel barrels. Does it have exposed hammers? Is it nitro proofed ??

Last edited by krupp; 11/09/10.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Boxlock,steel barrels and no exposed hammers. Not sure what you mean by nitro proofed. The receiver is silver in colour if that's what you mean.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not an expert so i do not want to give you the wrong info or piss you off.
Nitro proof is usually located on the bottom of barrel flats around the area of the chopper lumps that hinge into the action. There will be marking like NP - 2 1/2 " - 3 tons -
patent - C & H, etc. Just standard British proof marks.
Sounds like a decent sxs but check the rib soldering on the barrel, check the barrels to make sure they are not out of face with action. Take it to a smith that knows sxs's.
You might have good English working gun worth several grand or a 500 hair ball.
We need pixs and a dollar amount.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Not at all, I appreciate any input! I'm heading off to deer camp today and won't be back for a week, once I'm back I will try to get some pics and post them. Thanks again.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any updates on the English double ???

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Not yet, trying to find time to get over to see it, good thing is the woman that has it is not actively looking to sell it, so nobody will slide in and scoop it from me. As soon as I get a chance I will get pics up!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are going to be very pleasantly surprised. Just don't rip her off.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Would not think of doing that, plus she knows what she has!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by hoover99
Hi Guy's,

I have a chance to purchase an old double barrel Cogswell and Harrison side by side shotgun. It has a serial number of 4209X and the woman that has the gun told me it was given to her Grandfather in 1916. Would any of you know if that year would correspond with the serial number? Just curious to know approx how old it is. Thanks in advance!

If the date is correct, it probably has 2 1/2" chambers. Not a problem, just an inconvenience that ads expense or labor to shooting it.

If you get to examine the gun, remove the barrels, hang them by the bottom hinge-lug over your finger or better yet, with a string. Take your finger and "flick" the barrels with your finger nail. The barrels should "ring" - if they "clank" or make a dull thud or no noise at all, pass on the gun. The weld's lost its integrity and fixing it would be more expensive than the gun could possibly be worth as it involves seperating the barrels and re-welding them and re-laying the rib = expensive process. C&H made alot of boxlocks and some nice SLE's but they're not considered "Best" guns.

edit:
I just re-read your initial post and realize that I addressed issues that you didn't ask about--sorry. blush

Last edited by gmoats; 12/10/10.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
No worries Gmoats, appreciate the input. I went and saw the gun tonight got pics but I can't seem to figure out photobucket mad I have posted pics on the savage collector forum before but it looks like photobucket has changed the way they work. If anyone has any info on how to post pics, let me know. Lots of hard hunting has been done with this gun, the fella that owned it had the gun presented to him by his employer, he was a chauffeur for a wealthy business owner. Early on the rich fella dropped the wrong shell in the right side barrel and proceeded to put a buldge in it. The gun was sent back to London and repaired by Cogswell and Harrison and came back with a letter explaining the repair. I didn't see the letter but the woman said she still has it. When the gun came back to Canada it was given to the chauffeur as a gift. Looks like it has an after market recoil pad on it that's in very rough shape, the second owner carved his initials into the base of the stock cry and the forearm is a little loose. Other than that it's a useable gun. Once I figure out how to post pics if anyone can give me a ballpark of what they think I should offer I would appreciate it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hoover99
No worries Gmoats, appreciate the input. I went and saw the gun tonight got pics but I can't seem to figure out photobucket mad I have posted pics on the savage collector forum before but it looks like photobucket has changed the way they work. If anyone has any info on how to post pics, let me know. Lots of hard hunting has been done with this gun, the fella that owned it had the gun presented to him by his employer, he was a chauffeur for a wealthy business owner. Early on the rich fella dropped the wrong shell in the right side barrel and proceeded to put a buldge in it. The gun was sent back to London and repaired by Cogswell and Harrison and came back with a letter explaining the repair. I didn't see the letter but the woman said she still has it. When the gun came back to Canada it was given to the chauffeur as a gift. Looks like it has an after market recoil pad on it that's in very rough shape, the second owner carved his initials into the base of the stock cry and the forearm is a little loose. Other than that it's a useable gun. Once I figure out how to post pics if anyone can give me a ballpark of what they think I should offer I would appreciate it.

Loose forearm is NOT good!!!!! eek

Be sure to assemble the gun without the forearm, then hold the receiver or grip in one hand with the barrels up...shake it. If you feel ANY wobble at all...P A S S on it. At best it will need a new hinge pin, possibly a lot more. While not horribly expensive to fix, it may not be worth the cost of the gun plus the cost to put it on face. If the barrels and receiver meet on the flats and show wear, it isn't good.

There is a lot to know when buying higher grade doubles. Be careful.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is starting to sound like an abortion.
I would request the option of shooting it to see if it patterns worth a chit.
Sight unseen, nothing over $500 because you don't know what other demons lie waiting inside this monstrous horrendum.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sounds like one to walk away from....it can't be cheap enough to be a good deal if it's that buggered up.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.