Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Can someone give me any information on building a open box like you see most of the outfitters have on their ATV's to hold
backpacks and sundry items. It looked to me like they were about 45+ inches wide 12-13"'s deep and 14+'s from front to back when you stand in front of an ATV. What size plywood thickness and I guess it would have to be treated for the outdoor use, (rain and snow). I can handle making it. I have a one man wood workshop in my garage. Just don't know about size, plywood type and thicknes. I thought I would use a waterproof glue and brad nail it together. That way it should be a lot more solid than screws into plywood. Thoughts.
Buckfever1

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Why not BUY one?

There is pluses and minuses to everything that you do in life.
My guess is that the wheel bearings in most four wheelers are almost strong enough to hold the front wheels on.
When you start adding weight - their life's expectancy goes down proportionally with the amount of weight that you add.

Then you have to take into account the amount of effort it takes to steer the four wheeler.
Unless your four wheeler has power steering - once you start to add weight - the amount of effort to steer the darn thing is going to go up.

I have a very old Kawasaki and the amount of effort it takes to steer it is almost unbearable when it is traveling because it has a tendency to want to go straight all the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I going to give a different idea on the issue of rack/boxes etc. I've had friends with all different kinds of set ups - boxes - no boxes - one friend just made flat plywood platforms for his atv and that works really well for him.

I bought a large black tool box from wally world, for about $40.00, to mount on the rear of my atv. I use cargo straps for easy on and off - depending on if I'm just riding or hunting. I left the front rack as is so that I can bungie a deer on it. I personally prefer to have any heavy loads upfront rather than in the rear and then use my body, foward and back, to help balance the load and negotiate rough terrain. It prevents wheelies. It's a little harder to steer but not so much that it's problem.

The tool box in back is big enough to stuff all my gear in it - small cooler, spotting scope, coat etc. The tool box with a lid is also somewhat waterproof. The Koplin gun boot I have mounted on the rear works out well with the box there too.

Just a different train of thought - maybe it will give you a different idea - or not. It's what works for you that's most important.

FWIW, if are going to build an open box I'd suggest 5/8" min. plywood and use screws and waterproof glue. Just buy a bit to dill and coutersink the screws. It'll be a lot stronger than brads and glue. Make sure you drill the holes straight. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't own a quad, but seen a lot of different set-ups, and I would tend lean towards Fish-heads idea...

Over here, people tend to scrounge those large plastic fish boxes you see at fishing ports and fit them..

[Linked Image]

The are reasonably light and tough enough to hold up to quite a bit of abuse...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Check your PMs

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless it has a good lid/cover, I'd think you'd want to have some holes in the bottom to let rain water pass through.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Find some one with some fabricating/welding skills and get what you want made to your exact size requirements. I made mine out of aluminium c/w a lid that is water tight. If I knew how to post photos I would. Another simple one is to bungee/tie down a plastic milk carton crate. They work great,let water out and do not rust etc. and are easily replaceable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made my front box out of treated wood. Bottom - 1/2" plywood. Sides 1X6" board. Attached with deck screws. Did not drill holes in bottom because they would fill up with crap anyway. Any water in box - detach box from ATV and dump out. Make sure your handle bar head light has free movement.

Cut out a piece of carpet for the underside of box - nap side up to eliminate any unnecessary rubbing or squeak.

Make sure the box width will hold 2 - white 5 gallon buckets (paint and plaster come in them - pretty handy for tools and such) or 2 - 5 gallon Coleman Model 5620 spouted water jugs.

A single chain saw (Stihl Farm Boss or Stihl 32)with fuel and oil containers will fit, plus splitting mall, wedges and cant hook.

I have even carried 1 - 2 day old black angus calves in the front box.

As far as dimensions, I followed the basic shape of the steel front ATV rack and made sure the buckets and jugs would fit. Two tight bungee cords and your good to go.

Portable waterproof container on rear was purchased from local Farm and Fleet store for $25. Drilled a hole on each side and bolted a plastic electric fence insulator on for the bungee strap to go over.

Nothing permanent about this set up. In 20 seconds it is all stripped off.

Oh and one side note - do not paint the boxes BLUE if'n you ever expect to get close to a deer. grin

[Linked Image]

Front view of box with models to show case it. cool cool

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use a milk crate held on with bungee cords.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
check out MontanaJacks

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.