Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought a Primos ground blind & included with it was a DVD. One segment had them hunting Giraffe in Africa with a bow. The 1st shot was face on in the chest @ 60 yards. They claim this is the shot you want because the ribs on a broadside shot are huge and not great for shot placement. The second shot was broadside @ 50 yards and then claim this was great shot placement. I was a little confused. Besides the broadside shot and the largeness of the ribs they also state the hide is about 1" thick. Can anyone tell me the proper way and what the shot placement is on a giraffe? Does anyone have an experience hunting this animal. They needed to cull this giraffe claiming it crushed some houses & was killing livestock.... I never heard of this ...are they really that aggressive? Thanks for all and any input.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I hunted giraffe to be used as bait on a lion hunt in Africa a few years ago. I can confirm that the hide is at least an inch thick. It took three shots from a .416 and one from a .458 to finally bring it down. They are an extremely tough animal. I cannot comment on the aggresiveness of them as I have never heard it commented on. I do know they can do serious damage by swinging the neck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
By far the best game meat I have ever tasted.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember hearing that they have the same number of neck vertebrae as we do. Is that correct?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The big dark spotted stink bulls can be downright mean. And they are tough to kill. Many PH's reccomend a hunter use his plains game rifle but with a shot to the first neck vertebrae where it joins with the skull. I have seen this shot take down very quickly a very big old male girraffe. Yes, they have seven neck vertebrea, just like us and just like a field mouse.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laffin'

I hadn't heard of many giraffe attacks. If you want to hunt giraffe, save the time and expense of going to Africa and just shoot the neighbors milk cow.

I would imagine the sensation would be the same.

And it's spelled with just one "r". wink

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not likely to make the "dangerous game" list then?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah guys, Giraffe can be quite aggressive. You dont want to be on the end of a kick, otherwise you will be the one off to the taxidermy.
Not difficult to hunt, but shot placement could be tricky, even more so with a bow.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They also use thier strong head/neck area as a lethal weapon. Being on the receiving end of that would be a lights out forever deal as well. Not trying to put them in the DG area, and I have had opportunity to kill hundreds without doing so but they can be dangerous if dealt with carelessly. Big old bulls do have an aggressive and mean side for sure.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot one, with a 300 grain Barnes banded solid in a .375. One shot though the base of the neck and it went straight down. It seemed to take forever to die, even with a couple shots to speed up the process. Strange.I had intended to go with a heart/lung shot, but the way it played out there was clear shot at the neck or brush obstructed shot at the neck. Giraffe are different than everything else, the vitals are in front of the shoulder.

I've shot 4 buffalo, elephant, grizzly and a couple hundred assorted critters. Since none were chargeing, and most weren't actively fleeing at the time, I suppose you could say that they all resembled milk cows in that regard.
I'd shoot another, if it were big and black and trophy fees reasonable.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen a couple Giraffe rugs. Covers a lot of space, and looks nice.

Since I expect to kill one for bait in 2012, I intend to tan the hide and use it as a rug in the trophy room.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just curious - giraffe for bait?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cmg
Just curious - giraffe for bait?

Lioness

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
how's the neck roasts?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bet you could make a lot of biltong!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Giraffe meat was great! However, all the pieces I got did seem a little long.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

Knowing next to nothing about africa, I have to ask:

Does giraffe yield any advantage (prefered meat for lions)?

Seems there would / should be alot more "common" species readily available for bait.

Not flaming here - genuine interest.

IIRC Girafes are the national animal of Tanzania for example.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
prolly cause its alot of meat, a bull giraffe will out weight a cape buffalo.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
prolly cause its alot of meat, a bull giraffe will out weight a cape buffalo.....

Exactly

A pride of lions (and the other predators that are attracted to the bait) can put away a lot of meat....

Much more economical and less time consuming to string up quarters and large chunks from large animals (Giraffe, Buff, Hippo, Zebra) than numerous Impala and other small antelopes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.