Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
right here

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Post your serial number, XX last two numbers. If their is one also post the lever boss code. Found on the lever boss front , just above the screw that hold the lever onto the gun. Might need a magnifier to read, is within a stamped oval. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Murray's has a rough guide up through 1949 at the back. Not extremely accurate, but close enough. From 1949 through 1970 you can get a year by the LBC code. After 1970, gotta come here.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like the others wrote, Jerico... give us the rifle's serial number and, if available, its Lever Boss Code ("LBC")... and one or several of us will probably be able to give you the information you seek.

It is generally felt that the LBC is "THE" most accurate way to determine the year of manufacture of the Savage Model 99s.

However, without the LBC, determing the year of manufacture gets a bit tougher due to an inter-mingling of various series of the rifle's serial numbers in some years.

If you wish to know the rifle's value and/or model, we'll need to know its condition and features along with the LBC and serial number. Pictures always help too. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

J
Jericho Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is a 300 of course, just found out it was made in 1959.
Another friend bought it already.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
59 huh?

Would be interesting if it was an early 99E. Was it checkered?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jericho,

Is it an EG, R or F?

I have an R with a 59 LBC, 965,xxx .

Andrew
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Stocks were mismatched, it did have checkering. It was
an EG. I also saw an R today with mismatched stocks,
doesnt anyone leave these alone anymore?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is making you say the stocks are mismatched? Just color?

Andrew
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, the color.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
59 they were just finishing up before the Westfield move, bet you they were discolored because they were using up parts.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not discount them... I have a few late F's (by late I mean mid to late 50, or late pre-mils, I really don't ever talk about post-mils) that don't match great but share inspectors marks and/or the forearm has the serial in chalk on the back. I think the quality ball just got dropped in this time frame. If the general fit and finish looks okay, and the seller allows, I would check the inspectors marks and see if they match.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I'd have bought that 1959 E when I'd seen it, that was back some ten years ago. Haven't seen one since. Hard to find with the schnobel forearms.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My Dad's F bought new in 1956 has a blondish colored forarm but as you can see everything is a match. http://photobucket.com/sqweeler i5

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Were there LBCs of 'O' or 'Q'? What about 'W' and following? I've never seen any O, Q, or W, X, Y, or Z coded rifles. (And I always look.)

Are the post-70 serial numbers proprietary information? I've never seen them listed anywhere. (I'm talking about the S/Ns after they moved to the side of the receiver and were preceded with a letter (I think...still learning).

My dad has a pretty serious collection of 99s and is planning to start selling them off pretty soon. I need an education, as he wants me to do the selling. (He has about 40 - 50 99s, most of which are pre-WWII, but he has about seven that are newer.)

Doc B
Amarillo, TX

For the best handloading listserve on the internet, try

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/handloading/info
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No 'O's or 'Q's, and the letters went up to X (1970). Though not all 1970 rifles have them, I don't think.

Serial numbers aren't public, and anybody is free to start gathering them. Not sure that anybody wants to publish their sets. The post-1970 numbers are all mixed up with other Savage rifles, so it's not 99 specific.

I'm sure you'll get lots of offers to help.. danged vultures. grin

P
P
Have bought a 99E in .308 from a friend. He got it from his father in law as a gift long ago. Ser# 10141xx. Had a Savage 3-8x scope on it with tip overs. Scope zoom is a little sloppy, so I changed it with a Weaver C4xW wide-view that I've always liked. He thought it was made around mid 60's. Does anyone have an idea. It has a 12M in a circle near the lever pivot. Thanks and I'm enjoying reading here as a newbie.
Also any recommendations on a good 99 gunsmith in upstate NY for any future work needs ? I live near Fort Drum, NY.
Thanks

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The M makes it a 1961 gun.

Welcome to the campfire!!

You have an opportunity to launch a whole new addictive habit here...

P
P
Thanks, that was fast. I was in first grade then! :-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pickney
Thanks, that was fast. I was in first grade then! :-)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM grin,looks like your in the first grade here as well grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

C
C
Hey long time reader on the forum first time poster.

ive been told this is the best place to ask this question about putting a rough date on my 99F, ive googled and come up with very vague and varying answers from "made after 1891" to "1951 or older" and finally "1957" so i figure you guys got a better handle on this so ill let ya give it a go.

serial # 9508XX
LBC 17I

not %100 on the LBC as it was hard to make out

thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late `57, early `58. There is a lot of overlap in the "I"&"J"s.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

C
C
thanks for the quick response, always wondered how old it was as i know its been in the family a damn long time so its nice to get a rough date on the gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
welcome to the forum ,good old BC
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

L
L
Hi Guys,
Can you help me date my .308 Savage 99C? I know, common question, but I've been to all the self help web sites, with no joy. Barrel indicates Model 99C series A and receiver serial number is C784903. I suspect fairly new, since blueing, barrel and wood look like it's been a safe queen. Appreciate any help. Course it has the clip, not rotary mag, factory tapped for scope, black plastic butt plate and grip cap. Hope that's suff info. Much obliged,
Lars

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your rifle will date to 1978.

Welcome to the forum!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
L
Thanks Calhoun. Owe you a cup of campfire coffee! Won't bother to ask how you found that so fast. Just happy someone was reading the forum. Cheers,
Lars

L
L
In your opinion, how big and what kind of (if any) difference in quality exists between the pre and post 1961 Savage 99s?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For hunting, or for collecting?

Many of the postmil 99's are perfectly good for hunting, though I'm not fond of many of the postmil features like impressed checkering, birchwood stocks, white line spacers, etc.

On the other hand, many of the premil 99's aren't ideal for hunting by today's standards, not having monte carlo stocks, d&t for scopes, tang safeties for left-handed shooters, or sling studs. But, they were all hand made and each piece hand fitted. Overall better quality than the postmils.

For collecting, there's no comparison. Premils are far more collectible than postmils.

Given a choice, I'll go with a premil rifle every time. Easy enough to find shooters that have been d&t'd and had sling studs added if you want those features.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calhoun; 10/17/11.
L
L
Not for collecting. If it proves accurate enough, the gun will go from safe queen to campfire tramp come next hunting season. Picked it up from an acquaintance, because the price was right, but would be excited if it'll hold a reasonable group at a hundred yards. When I bought it, I was going on the notion that Savage had a good rep for well made lever guns. Didn't realize that when they retooled, their quality took a hit. Guess I'll find out soon how big a hit. What have you found shooting pre and postmil models (either iron sights or scoped)?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I shoot everything scoped, and I'd say a 99C in 308 should shoot fine. You probably won't get 1" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo, but 1.5" to 2.5" is likely. Which is plenty good enough for 99% of whitetail hunting.

L
L
And plenty good for Alaskan sheep too, but will have to be pretty sneaky to get within a hundred yards of those fellas. Copy and thanks for all your input. Cheers,
Lars

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Are there any factory post-mil EG's? or are they all bubba delux stock switches

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No EG's after 1960 or with a serial number higher than 1,000,000.

I
I
Seems like all us new members are hijacking this thread, so why not me?

My first Savage was actually a model 1907 .32 pistol I bought from an old boss about a decade ago. This past year I wanted to pick up a rifle to start shooting at the range with some friends, so naturally I thought "I wonder if Savage ever made a lever action rifle....." and found out about the 99.

A couple of weeks later I walked into a local retail store, and there on the used rack was a beat up 99E in .243 Win, serial number A903XXX. I couldn't whip out my credit card fast enough at the price on the tag. I refinished the wood, since from lurking here I figured I wasn't hurting the value of a late "E" by doing so, and it was seriously scratched up.

Here it is after the refinish:

[Linked Image]

I've since scoped it with an old Weaver K4W (OK, I had bought a newer scope for it but it just didn't look right.) It's a really nice shooting rifle that I'm enjoying a lot.

Anyway, from scrounging through the posts from many of the forum regulars I was guessing this at very early 70's?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty darned good job on the refinish. It would be a 1971 rifle.

I
I
Thanks, it isn't high grade walnut but at least the grain of the birch is visible now. The original finish was opaque brown muck......

K
K
I have a 99A with the serial number 9994xx. It appears to have a o stamped on the side off the lever. It is also a tang safety with a steel counter on it. Any help would be great!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you find anything stamped on the front of the lever?

Sure theres not a letter in front of that serial number?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
K
K
Don't see a letter on the front of the lever. The serial number does start with A.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your rifles serial number is A999xxx and was made early 1972.

This serial range is called the "A Series Serial" and began late 1968. It differs from the earlier serials in that what ever firearm came down the line got the next number. There is just one big serial range. Makes it easier to date a rifle but we have no idea as to how many of a model were produced in a given year.

Rick...

K
K
Originally Posted by Rick99
Your rifles serial number is A999xxx and was made early 1972.

This serial range is called the "A Series Serial" and began late 1968. It differs from the earlier serials in that what ever firearm came down the line got the next number. There is just one big serial range. Makes it easier to date a rifle but we have no idea as to how many of a model were produced in a given year.

Thank you so much for your help Rick. My next step is to try and find a set of mounts for a Balfor A scope. Hopefully they made them that work with the tang safety. Thanks again for your help!

Joey

C
C
Hi everyone, I hope I'm not bothering anyone with another inquiry on another 99. I just inherited one from my uncle who got it from his granddad. I've seen on another site that the serial is stamped in 4 places, the receiver, the fore stock, the butt stock, and the butt plate. Well I have 2 different numbers each in two places and an H for an LBC. The numbers are 100 and 129257 (no letters in the serial number). I expect that the gun has been pieced together because the barrel seems newer (.30-30) but I'm not sure because the two stocks have different numbers but they look very similar. Here are some pictures to download or you can visit my blog mtnbikefiddler.blogspot.com to see them.

Thanks very much,

P.S. Why, at the beginning of this thread, were people told to put xx's on the last two digits of the serial?

Attached Images
serial 1.jpg (95.69 KB, 2427 downloads)
serial 2.jpg (94.37 KB, 1935 downloads)
serial 3.jpg (96.81 KB, 2588 downloads)
serial 4.jpg (96.45 KB, 604 downloads)
Last edited by climbingsavage; 01/18/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LBC is meaningless on a gun this early.

Need better and larger picture of the butt stock and the stamping to see what is going on... but not likely to be original...

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Without seeing more pictures, it might be a factory replacement part. Our understanding is that they often didn't stamp the serial number on replacement stocks and buttplates.

Just a guess though. Even getting a letter from the Savage historian may not clear it up since work orders may not be available or found for repair work that was years later.

The lower rifle here is an 1899B from 1906 with correct forearm and buttstock/buttplate with just a code stamped on it. The buttplate is a 1920's style, so it's probably a later factory repair.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Without seeing more pictures, it might be a factory replacement part. Our understanding is that they often didn't stamp the serial number on replacement stocks and buttplates.

Just a guess though. Even getting a letter from the Savage historian may not clear it up since work orders may not be available or found for repair work that was years later.

The lower rifle here is an 1899B from 1906 with correct forearm and buttstock/buttplate with just a code stamped on it. The buttplate is a 1920's style, so it's probably a later factory repair.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Calhoun; was the figured wood common on the 1899B; or any model for that matter?

The stock on your 1906 is pure beauty!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to know whats up with the boat cleat and bobber?

You that messed up that you can't even leave your guns at home when you go fishing?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Joe,
Have you seen JAWS???....... grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Recruit, no the figured buttstock isn't normal. Since it's a factory replacement, I wonder if the customer didn't pay a bit more for a nicer piece of wood, or if the customer wasn't so ticked off that Savage put it on to shut him up. I knew the buttstock wasn't original when I bought it, but the nice wood made me buy it anyway.

Joe, I am messed up.. but the boat was outside when I wanted pictures so it became the platform of choice. Was used more than once for that purpose..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/19/12.
K
K
Rick I have one more for you, serial number 9528##. It is a 308. Any help on manufacturing date would help. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rory, is that last pic of a mag fed 99C a Llama?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, it's a later 99C. The Llama's had hooded front sights, but otherwise looked pretty much identical to these.

[Linked Image]

R
R
Newbie here, I just got a 99A with a serial number D4113XX, could anybody help me with the year?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome to the campfire, redguy! Looks like your rifle is an early 1980 rifle.

R
R
I thought that the newer ones had removable magazines,this one has the rotary.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 99C and 99CD had clips, other models like the 99A, 99E, Brush Gun and others still had the rotary magazines.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by knoxville
Rick I have one more for you, serial number 9528##. It is a 308. Any help on manufacturing date would help. Thanks

I can help you, your rifle was manufactured in 1958 and should have a Lever Boss Code of "J".

FYI, the Lever Boss Code ("LBC") is the best way to determine the age of the Model 99's. While nothing is "for sure" with Model 99 production, the Model 99s manufactured from 1949 to 1971 have what is called "Lever Boss Codes" (�LBC�) indicating the year of final inspection... but NOT ALWAYS the year the rifle was shipped from the factory.

Using the alphabetic letters beginning with "A" representing 1949, the letters were advance as each year passed. And so, if your Model 99's LBC is "B", your rifle was probably made in 1950. If your LBC is "C", it was made in 1951... and so on and so on� all the way to the letter "Y" which represents the year 1971.

Due to their similarity, the letters "O" and "Q" were NOT used in the LBC system.

NOW... where do you find this "LBC"??? Easy... look on the front of the lever boss... that lower extension of the receiver into which the lever fits and rotates. On the FRONT of that lever boss, you can probably see a VERY FAINT OVAL... or you may not be able to see the ENTIRE oval due to it's being stamped very lightly.

But you should be able to see PART of the oval.. and inside that oval, you will probably see a NUMBER (the inspector's number) followed by a LETTER (the letter indicating the year of final inspection)... OR... you may only be able to determine PART of the oval, PART of the Inspector's number and PART of the letter. For best results, use a magnifying glass.

Since the oval is an oblong circle, the ends of the oval may look like a lightly-stamped "C" or a backwards "C"... but the LBC's letters and numbers are somewhat smaller than the ends of the oval... obviously... since they fit INSIDE the oval, eh? grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been following this thread for a few months and I finally bought a used Model 99. I was wondering if you could provide some information on the year of manufacture?
Model 99C stamped on top of receiver
Serial Number on bottom of receiver in front of lever: 1181xxx
Another set of numbers on left side of receiver:AO572xx
LBC is a "V"
Caliber: .308 Win
Detachable Magazine
Tang Safety
Steel Butt Plate
Plastic Pistol Grip Cap
Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, according to the LBC and the 1181xxx serial number, you have a model 99C made in 1968.

According to the A0572xx, it would date to early 1969.

The 1181xxx serial number is very near the end of 1968, so it looks like your rifle somehow either went back for work or got laid aside and finished a couple months later? Not sure we've ever seen one that had two different serial numbers stamped on the outside. Gotta drive the FFL's nuts when they go to log it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The serial on the bottom would have been stamped after the receiver was made and before assembly. The new "Series A" serial on the side was added after the rifle was completed. As this rifle was started late 1968 and completed early 1969 it has ended with two serials. The one on the side would be the correct number to use. Since it has the LBC it might have been an error in double serial numbering it. I wonder if the 1181xxx serial is logged as a completed rifle?

This is the first I've seen stamped with two serials. I wonder how many more were made like this? This is what keeps the subject interesting. Always something new. smile

Last edited by Rick99; 08/07/13.

Rick...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Calhoun and Rick99
Thank you for the information. I was confused about the two sets of numbers.
In 1966 my wife bought me a 99C for our first Christmas together.
I was in the Army in Colorado and used that rifle to hunt deer and prairie dogs. When we moved back to Michigan, I traded that rifle in on a Remington 1100. I always regretted getting rid of that rifle. Even more so after my wife passed away. It took me about 3 yrs to find another 99C that was not all beat up. I am happy to find out that this rifle is from approximately the same era.
Again, thank you for the information.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have acquired another Model 99 and hope that someone will be able to assist me in determining the Date of Manufacture.
Caliber: 300 Savage
LBC: 4, I have studied this with magnifying glasses and it is definitely a 4. There is no circle around the stamping.
Barrel length:24 inches
Brass Rotor
SN:5036**
Thanking you in advance for your help
thom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 4 isn't a date code, just an inspection stamp. Your rifle will date to 1948, which is one year prior to the start of the lever date codes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Calhoun,
Thank you for providing the information. I really appreciate your taking time to help.
Thom

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a Savage 99 serial number 521883. I believe it to be manufactured in 1948-49? There is no lever date code on the rifle that I can see. I was curious, however, when the brass rotor changed to something else. The rotor in my 99 is not brass.

Last edited by Rups63; 08/16/13.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
After the War brass was in short supply so several guns were built with steel rotors. They are usually case colored as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like it should date to around the end of 1949, maybe beginning of 1950. Look on the front of the lever and above the serial number for an oval stamp with 1 or 2 numbers followed by a letter. If the letter is an A, then 1949, if it's a B then it's 1950.

Don't have my notes with me, but think that's maybe a bit early for case colored rotor? Maybe not. There are some plain steel ones that pop up after the war, though.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Like I said, no lever code is on the rifle. The rotor does not appear to be case colored, but rather plain colored steel. Interesting variation, the rotor being steel. Thanks!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oops, yeah, no date code. Not always a dependable thing.

There are some very early 1899's in the first couple years that seem to pop up with silver colored rotors, don't know if they are steel or some type of pot metal. Then we have some that show up after WWII, then we have a fairly big batch of steel ones that are case colored in the early 50's.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Two of my 99s have the steel rotor, one is a 99EG and the other is a 99R. They both have the same LBC which is "D"

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
How do I know what model my savage is, i.e. EG or F?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The 99F is marked on the right side of the barrel, they were introduced in 1955 the EG was made from 1935 to 1960 and has the schnoble tip forearm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rups63, your rifle will be either a 99EG or a model 99R, they were the only models made at that time. A 99EG will have a thin forearm with a Schnabel tip, the 99R will have a fat and wide forearm with a rounded tip.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
EG it is! Thanks!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hello, just got my Granddaughter her first hunting rifle (that makes 3 generations of us with a 99 as first hunter).

300 Sav, 21" bbl, rounded for end, lever safety, fore end has a "W' or 'M' pattern checkering, round counter (looks like brass, have yet to confirm it is not just some varnish or dried oil).

Has scope screw holes, front bead site, filler in the rear site slot (raised bbl ring for this), has a tang mounted Redfield peep, smooth finished bolt.

Unfortunately, it has also been reblued, including the lever (sad). Looks good though, the refinisher shouldn't have used shiny finish clear coat. Too thick as it takes all the grip out of the checkering.

That made it easy to cut 2" off the stock and mount a Limbsaver/Simms butt pad. Left her with ~12.5-13" LOP (need to remeasure it).

Shot 5 rounds through it. @ 25 yds got ~1.25" group from prone. Didn't get back to shooting it again this trip, more in the future. Shooting Win 150 gr (of the Fed/Win/Hornady ballistics, Win is the worst). Grand daughter sot one round said it hurt. She doesn't know she is getting it for Christmas. I took a picture of her with it. That will be in the cleaning kit she gets under the tree. She's a bright girl and will have figured it out.

I will see what it takes to have it rechambered. Make it the same as Mom's tang safety A.

Serial: 7716xx; lever code 236.

Thanks!

Last edited by mojoincolorado; 08/20/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That would be a Savage 99F, barrel should actually be 22". Nice featherweight.

Don't rechamber it, the internals are too short to handle a 308 length chamber. The internals changed starting with serial number 900,000. You're pretty much stuck with 300.

If you reload, try any medium load with a 150gr or 180gr bullet and it should kick a lot less than the factory 150's. Still kills deer just as dead, too.

Good job!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks!

I figured that the Hornady would be the 'off the shelf' go to round (if it shoots it well). And she can shoot it well! Priorities....

She will not hunt with it this fall, but next fall. Plus, a birthday scope will come her way.

I may have to look into a 3 lever case hardening deal. It's just such a nice detail on these rifles -- sets the tone (yes, pun intended).

I measured the bbl at the muzzle end of the receiver ring -- an it is a fraction over 21", so if 22" includes the breach end, it would be ~22". Any idea of year(s)?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rifle should date to 1955, that lever code of 236 is almost surely 23G. Barrel length does count as the entire length, so 21" to the receiver is about right.

Got a gentleman here on the campfire who case colors levers, give him a bit and he'll probably speak up. It does add class to the rifle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Always fun around the campfire!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can load the .300 Sav down to 30-30ish or so and save her a bit of trauma. Kills deer just as dead and as she gets older you can up grade the load as time goes by until you're back to .300 Sav. The hurt from the kick is one of the big reasons a lot of kids get turned off from hunting. Getting hurt ain't fun no matter what else you do to make it fun. Reduce the load and she'll thank you for it. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What he said.

LOL
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a 99M with SN#10143XX. It is a 300 Savage with Monte Carlo stock. Rotary magazine. Tang mounted safety.
Can you tell me when it was made?

Last edited by Brandon_Texas; 08/27/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brandon, your rifle will date to late 1960 or early 1961, and sounds like a model 99DL to me because of the monte carlo stock. Take a look at the front of the lever and see if you can find an oval stamp with 1 or 2 numbers followed by a letter inside of it. The letter L would be 1960, M would be 1961.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a 99E which has checkering and the Monte Carlo stock. The serial number is E0180XX with the rotary magazine. I can find nothing on the front of the lever. Safety is on the lever. what can you tell me about it?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The caliber is 300 savage and the lever is case harden.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seabeesbob, your rifle was made in the fall of 1982. The date stamped ended around 1970, so you won't find that oval stamp. And the 99C and 99E both got monte carlo stocks around 1981.

R
R
Hi guys, I need help. I inherited a mod. 99 ser.#9421xx I can not figure out a letter designation for this rifle. it is in .308 has checkering on pistol grip and fore end and a heavy schnable and a steel shotgun style butt plate. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
EG.

LOL
B
B
I thought I'd dredge this up and add my 99f info.

1960 99f (LBC "L")
Serial number 1010xxx

Sweet trigger pull per usual.

Tang safety, brass rotary mag, jeweled bolt, gold trigger, folding rear sight ahead of receiver.

Chicopee, Mass

Some thoughts on the safety:
I've read some think the tang safety to be poorly made, but I found it to be otherwise-well made/designed and works great. I don't think its inferior in any way to the lever safety.

On post-mil serial #'s:
I am glad I went back for a second look on this rifle which I almost disregarded because of the tang safety and post mil serial#.
I know collectors use 1 mil as a convenient benchmark. However, clearly there are some post-mil 99's that were made that were hand fitted and carry the same quality as the pre-mils. Maybe not a lot of them and how long that went on I have no idea. But this 1960 99f, anyway, is clearly an example of a hand fitted gun.

However, the fore stock did not match the rest of the rifles inspection stamps, which are also found on the hidden area on the receivers left side, and the butt stock and butt plate. These stamps should all be the same.

For example my 99f has these matching stamps: B, O, S, 5 and F, in sequence, though somewhat crammed and jumbled into the space available.

Anyway, hope it helps.

Jimmy

Last edited by big_jimmy; 12/27/13.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Old thread, but why not ? My serial # is A0472XX and the LBC ( a small circle at the lever pivot point) is M9.
Any Idea what year ? Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Early A series serial number, most likely 1969.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ok, Thanks a lot.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bought a used, checkered 99 300 with my paper route money in 1971. S/N 6872XX. Got my first blacktail that same year. Can anyone tell me more info?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Probably made in either 1953 or 1954... depending on the Lever Boss Code ("LBCS")... here's an excerpt from my reocrds:

E= 1953: 6664XX (19E), 694,7XX(19E) 699XXX(19E), 709xxx(?3E)-my rifle, 7237xx(20E) 724xxx(20E), 8351xx(?0E),

F= 1954: 686489(19F), 695xxx(19F), 704960(13F), 7184xx, 727303(13F), 747330(14F), 751488(?3F),7567xx(5F), 835192-lettered by John T.

Savage began using what we call the Lever Boss Code ("LBC") in 1949. The LBC begins with a number (the inspector's number) followed by a letter which indicated the year of manufacture. In 1949, the letter used was "A". In 1950, they went to "B", in 1951 to "C", in 1952 to "D" and so on to the letter "Y" in 1971. The letters "O" and "Q" were skipped due to their similarity.

Apparently... and for unknown reasons, some rifles were pulled off the assembly line and set aside. Then, later, they were put back on the line and the manufacturing process was finished. This created a situation wherein the rifle's serial number may not accurately ascertain the year of manufacture for SURE. Thus, we can fall back on the Lever Boss Code to determine the year of manufacture if the rifle has one.

All the Model 99s (to the best of my knowledge) manufactured from 1949 through 1971 (inclusive) had Lever Boss Codes inside a small, lightly embossed OVAL located on the lower front side of the receiver opposite and just above where the lever rotates. Often, the OVAL in which the LBC is stamped and the LBC itself are so lightly impressed that it requires a magnifying glass to see them... and then, some of the OVAL and/or the LBC may be too lightly stamped to be fully determined.

So if your rifle's LBC is an "E", it was made in 1953. If it's a "F", then it was made in 1954.

These were some of the finest Model 99's ever made... a real "winner"! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It will be either a 99EG with a thin forearm and schnabel tip, or a model 99R with a fat and wide forearm with a rounded end. Those were the only 2 models made at that time.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thank you, gentlemen. Given the faintness of the LBC and my present ocular capacities, I had to use a loop to cypher what it says. "19F" is what it appears to be. Based on what Calhoun indicated, mine's a 99EG with the thin/schnabel forearm.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What year of manufacture? SN is A2344**. 99M tang safety. Impressed checkering. Factory D&T. 22" barrel, gold trigger. Aluminum butt plate.
Thanks for the help.

T
T
Hello, I am new to the forum. I just received a Savage 99A .308 from my father. It looks in good condition. It has a straight butt stock, no pistol grip. It also has a tang safety. It does not have any LBC code that I can see. The serial number is D1719XX.

Any help or advice in finding the year of manufacture would be appreciated!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome to the campfire, timber! Your rifle was mfr'd in late summer, 1979. The date codes stopped about 9 years earlier.

J
J
I would like to talk to someone that is pretty nifty on the 99 my number is 281-806-9441. I have a 250-3000 and it has a low number serial and it also has a q or it might be a. On the front of the lever

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great tread. I have only one Savage 99C in .243 s/n B567xxx. Like to know the year it was made. I can not believe how accurate this rifle is . Blue box Federal ammo shot a little less than a inch at 100 yards. I think it shoots as well as my Remington heavy barrel varmint rifle. Thank you

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uh oh, he's discovered our secret! Now the whole world will know!!!!! grin grin
Savages can be wonderfully accurate can't they?

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
Like to know the year it was made.

First half of 1974 I believe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chappy410
What year of manufacture? SN is A2344**. 99M tang safety. Impressed checkering. Factory D&T. 22" barrel, gold trigger. Aluminum butt plate.
Thanks for the help.

I don't think you got an answer... mid-1969. smile

Rick...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the help.

I don't think you got an answer... mid-1969. smile

Thank you for the information Rick99

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have another 99 I would like to know date of manufacture.
22 inch barrel
tang safety
99M
cut checkering
Factory D&T
gold trigger
Aluminum butt plate
SN 10538xx
Thanks for help

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Choppy, it's a late 1962 or early 1963. Check the date code to see if it's a N or a P. Also, it's a 99DL.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Choppy, it's a late 1962 or early 1963. Check the date code to see if it's a N or a P. Also, it's a 99DL.

Thanks
LBC is an N.

thom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the letter, helps narrow down the end of year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the letter, helps narrow down the end of year.

seeing as we're working numbers grin
B118936
B270122
C141509
C291272

thanks fills some holes

norm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B118936 - mid `72
B270122 - mid `73
C141509 - 1st half `76
C291272 - late `76
smile

Rick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks Rick

norm

I am looking for some info about my Dad�s model 99 in 300 Savage ser# 5795xx He said it was a model 99E. It has a brass counter and brass magazine rooter. In the circle on the lever boss is 15B or I5B. Thank you for your help

[Linked Image]

Wolf

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson

Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL (Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"B" is 1950, 99EG. You're going to need some more scope on that to wring out the accuracy that Savage is capable of. wink wink

Last edited by Fireball2; 02/02/14.

LOL
Originally Posted by Fireball2
"B" is 1950, 99EG. You're going to need some more scope on that to wring out the accuracy that Savage is capable of. wink wink

Thanks for the info.
Would it be correct to call it a 99E? Dad bought it new in 1950 in Tucumcari New Mexico and he called it an E. He has taken many a Prong Horn (Antelope) and Coyotes with it.

Wolf

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, it's not an E. The earlier E was a sweet rifle, very desirable, and the later E was an economy model with cost cutting measures enacted in it's production. Yours was Savage's bread and butter gun in 300.
BUT, that scope is outrageous I gotta say!! Most guys opt for a little Leupold 2-7 or 1.75-6, with many going the route of classic setups using Stith mounts and vintage glass. That rifle NEEDS a properly scaled optic, or none at all to be fully appreciated.
Enjoy your weapon and please feel welcome.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wolfgang, the 99EG was introduced in 1935 as an uncheckered model. Around 1938 they started checkering the stock and the model continued to be produced in high numbers until 1959. The sling studs on your rifle were added after it left the factory, and it was drilled and tapped for the scope after it left the factory.

Definitely an interesting setup! What's that scope?

Welcome to the campfire!

Wolfgang, the 99EG was introduced in 1935 as an uncheckered model. Around 1938 they started checkering the stock and the model continued to be produced in high numbers until 1959. The sling studs on your rifle were added after it left the factory, and it was drilled and tapped for the scope after it left the factory.

Definitely an interesting setup! What's that scope?

Welcome to the campfire!

Thanks for the welcome.
The scope is a cheapie, a Barska 6-24x60ir. It�s what he put on it sometime early 2010 just before he passed away in Jan. 2011. We had planned on making a Deer hunt that year.

Wolf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't look so mental if you took the sun shade off it.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
R
R
ive got an old 250-3000. #3657xx stamped on the gun and cab1411289 engraved on the lever. the stamped letters in the oval on the side are either sf or sp. any help on the year? thanks

every man dies , but not every man lives.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

R
R
thank you! is it normal to have numbers engraved not stamped?

every man dies , but not every man lives.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not normal to have any numbers or letters stamped or engraved on the lever. Lever should be unmarked.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, don't know what the numbers mean on the lever. Are they just scratched on, or nicely engraved? Pics would be great.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What's the date of birth of # 72,5XX ?

Thanks all

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I received my 99CD from 260RemGuy today. Beautiful rifle.
I would like to know date of manufacture.
99CD
22" barrel
308 Win
SN:C319058
Thanks for the help

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very late 1976.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the information Calhoun

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have another one I would like some information on. I believe it is an 99R but not sure. I am going to try and upload a photo.
It should arrive Monday from out west.
250-3000
22 inch barrel
SN:5742xx
LBC: 24C
I believe the sling swivels are after market.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You almost bid against me on that one... grin

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

FB
I didn't bid on it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Are you sure on the barrel length? I'd expect 24" at that SN.

The original sling eyes have been replaced but that can be reversed.

Looks pretty nice and Rs usually shoot very well!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

FB
I didn't bid on it.

Hmmm.

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

FB
I didn't bid on it.

Hmmm.

I bought it after the auction had ended. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Jim over the last few years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Are you sure on the barrel length? I'd expect 24" at that SN.

The original sling eyes have been replaced but that can be reversed.

Looks pretty nice and Rs usually shoot very well!

Mike,
It could be 24", not sure. The gun is scheduled to arrive at my dealer's on Tuesday. I will let you know once I pick it up. I just wanted to verify if it was a 99R. From info I looked up in Murray's book, I am thinking it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trying to determine the age on mine.

243 with drop mag
Serial # 11147xx
21" bbl
LBC code 29T

Thinking of rebarreling to a 358 due to loaning it out to the wrong 'friend'.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1966, Bbear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. My Dad gave that one to me as my 'first' rifle in 1970 AFTER I had hunted with it all year. He'd borrowed it from a friend for me to use.

Thanks again for the info!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have acquired another Model 99 and hope that someone will be able to assist me in determining the Date of Manufacture.
Caliber: 300 Savage
LBC: 4, I have studied this with magnifying glasses and it is definitely a 4. There is no circle around the stamping.
Barrel length:24 inches
Brass Rotor
SN:5036**
Thanking you in advance for your help
thom

Would that make this an EG? Thanks for the help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing there to say whether it's an EG or an R. Thin, schnabel tip on the forearm makes it an EG, fat and wide forearm with rounded end would be an R. Only two models made at that time.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nothing there to say whether it's an EG or an R. Thin, schnabel tip on the forearm makes it an EG, fat and wide forearm with rounded end would be an R. Only two models made at that time.

Sorry I forgot to put that in the original request. It does have the schnable tip forearm. Thanks Rory for providing the information.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Would like to know the year of manufacture of a 99 C .243 Win
22 inch barrel, impressed checkering, Serial Number A2892xx. No LBC
Thanks for the information.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fall of 1969.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Rory

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was talking w/ a friend regarding my 99 and he had one passed to him from his Dad. 30/30 w/ a 410 barrel. Somewhere along the line, the rifle was nickel plated.
He was wondering the production date and if Savage ever offered nickel plated rifles. Serial # is: 1357xx

Pic.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe they did offer plating and it dates to 1913.

Last edited by TomA; 02/20/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomA
I believe they did offer plating and it dates to 1913.

Only on the receivers and buttplates, never on the barrels.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah.. they offered nickel/silver/gold, but that's definitely not factory. Somebody liked shiny things. grin

Looks like a model 1899H, except that barrel with a front sight ramp doesn't date to 1913 unless it's an aftermarket ramp.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've bought a couple 99s in the past two weeks. Both are 99E models and one is .308 and the other is .243. The .308 has a LBC of 23T in the oval and the serial is 11248XX. I believe the LBC denotes a 1966 manufacture. But, the LBC on the .243 is very worn and very hard to read. It appears to be a "1" in front of well, that's the rub. I just can't positively make it out.

At first look through my jeweler's loupe, it looked like a N(1962), but the serial is higher than the '66, 11371XX. It also could be a "U" if you squint just right, lol. That would indicate 1967, right? I was told by the previous owner that he thought his father-in-law had bought it in the mid to late 60s. This .243 wears a Lyman All-American 4X Perma Center scope. It also looks like the oval is oriented differently, with the '66 oval laid out vertical up the lever boss while the other seems to go horizontally across the lever boss. Is that possible? Thanks for your help with this.
Gary

Last edited by Texgunner; 02/20/14.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, should be 1966 and 1967 rifles by the serial numbers. The date stamps were done by hand, so not unusual to see lightly struck or off center types of strikes.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It would be darned nice if it warmed up a bit so I can get out to the range and shoot my 99s frown

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yep, should be 1966 and 1967 rifles by the serial numbers. The date stamps were done by hand, so not unusual to see lightly struck or off center types of strikes.

Thanks for the confirmation! You guys are good. grin
Gary

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
It would be darned nice if it warmed up a bit so I can get out to the range and shoot my 99s frown

Those are my exact thoughts. Rain yesterday on top of 18-20" of snow. Now all we have is ice. Snow should be melted by June hopefully.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A friend inherited a 99R from his uncle. He wanted some help figuring out the date of manufacture.
The LBC is very faint and neither of us are able to make out what it reads.
The SN is 7003xx. Could someone give approximate date of manufacture?
Thanks for help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That serial number range spans the end of 1953 and the beginning of 1954. Personally I'd say 1953.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Rory. I'll let him know.

H
HJK Offline
H
Just purchased a Savage 99F in .308 caliber with serial number 10474XX - cannot read the embossed stamp on the front of the lever tang. Mfg'd by Savage Arms Corporation, Westfield Mass. Cut checkering in an "M" pattern on the forestock and in a kind of Nike "swoosh" above the lever. Gold trigger, safety on top behind chamber. Would like to know date of manufacture. Thanks for any help.

H
HJK Offline
H
I finally was able to make out the LBC - I believe it to be 12N, which would make this gun 1962, I believe. Beautiful gun, shoots well, rotary mag.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The serial number points to it being mfr'd in 1962 as well, so you figured it out.

Welcome to the campfire! If this is your first Savage 99, you might want to stop now. They tend to breed...

H
HJK Offline
H
Yeah, I may be infected. Had been shooting a Ruger Mk 77 .308 with a bull barrel, and love that gun as well, but there is something about the Savage 99 that is just intriguing My wife (a non-shooter) even commented on how "pretty" it was. Thanks for the welcome. Looks like a lot of good knowledge and sharing here.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
OK, I pulled out each of my prefixed serial number 99s and would like to know the year on each...looks like this is the place to ask.

A884392 99E 308 Win
C194669 99 358 Brush Gun
C194678 99CD 308 Win
C358206 99C 22-250 Rem
C543448 99 358 Brush Gun
C575278 99C 22-250 Rem
D299342 99C 243 Win
D681898 99CD 7mm-08 Rem
D744830 99A 375 Win

All help is appreciated!

Doc B
Amarillo, TX

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A884392 99E 308 Win 1971
C194669 99 358 Brush Gun 1976
C194678 99CD 308 Win 1976
C358206 99C 22-250 Rem 1977 (this is too early for a 22-250)
C543448 99 358 Brush Gun 1977
C575278 99C 22-250 Rem 1977
D299342 99C 243 Win 1980
D681898 99CD 7mm-08 Rem 1981 (probably a 99C. With cheek piece would be a CD. With just the Monte carlo would be a C.)
D744830 99A 375 Win 1981

Last edited by Rick99; 12/19/14.

Rick...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whoever has # 728243 has a special one.

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/19/14.

LOL
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Came across this thread while trying to find info about a Savage 99 ser # 2243xx in 303. Can anyone help with the date of birth?
The info I have found says 1918, another says 1920. One source says it should have a 22 or 24" barrel. This has a 26.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dusty, it should date to 1920. Barrel length varies by model, so yours sounds like a model 99A if the forearm is attached with a screw, or a model 99B if it's attached with a latch (it would be a takedown). This serial number range is a bit disputed, some would call it a model 1899A rather than 99A or 99B. Physically they are the same, so really call it whatever you like. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
7-2-8-2-4-3
S-A-V-A-G-E

cool

LOL
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A884392 99E 308 Win 1971
-snip-
C358206 99C 22-250 Rem 1977 (this is too early for a 22-250)
-snip-
D681898 99CD 7mm-08 Rem 1981 (probably a 99C. With cheek piece would be a CD. With just the Monte carlo would be a C.)
-snip-

You are right about the 7mm-08. It is a C with a Monte Carlo stock.

The 22-250, by definition, can't have been made earlier than it was made. So C358xxx isn't too early after all.

Attached Images
99c 22-250 sn small..jpg (36.37 KB, 436 downloads)
99c 22-250 lt side small.jpg (61.68 KB, 428 downloads)
99c 22-250 cal mark small.jpg (53.86 KB, 844 downloads)

Doc B
Amarillo, TX

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just found this post, maybe you can help me also.
Model 99R, 358, SN 922xxx, lever code 6H
Thanks

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7-2-8-2-4-3
S-A-V-A-G-E

cool

Well Not FAR OFF grin
SAVAGI

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not on my phone amigo.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
abc's and 1 2 3's confuse him.................. wink

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
abc's and 1 2 3's confuse him.................. wink

I resemble that statement myself. smile

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jbmi
Just found this post, maybe you can help me also.
Model 99R, 358, SN 922xxx, lever code 6H
Thanks

Holy crud... that's a sweetheart of a rifle. 6H is 1956.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should add a funny story-

My wife cannot drive a stick shift. For a while she could not get through her head that you start in 1st, not 5th gear.

It would be funny I mean, if it weren't so hard on the clutch. Bless her heart, she's very smart, but there is a wire disconnected on the sequence of shifting a vehicle.

We all have our quirks. Me, I'm a lever action guy. laugh laugh

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7-2-8-2-4-3
S-A-V-A-G-E

cool

How about:

8675309-e-nine

cool

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your .22-250 serial is good. My error. blush

Rick...

B
B
Good day folks,

I have a 99E, series A, 308, no Lever Code. Serial# C1313xx.

Can you give me the year of manufacter please..

Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spring of 1976. Welcome to the campfire!

Hey guys. I have a nice shooting 99E. Serial# calculators give me some odd answers, but you really seem to know your stuff here. There is no lever boss, unfortunately. The serial number is 5311XX. The prefix is A.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=965532690132118&l=80e57cc14d

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=965532276798826&l=0ff15e8f07

Thanks!

Jon

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The A is not a prefix, it's part of the SN. The gun was built mid 1970.

Thank you!

N
N
I have a 99eg 250 which I can,t read the full boss code. It is 20 and a very faint vertical line. The serial# is 7092XX. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The serial would make it a 1953 production and the LBC would be 20E ( a little reverse engineering :))

Rick...

N
N
Thank you, same year as my 300 sav 99R. made 9 yrs after I was born.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hello, I have a good shooting 99F Series A. Serial# calculators give me some weird answers. I could use some help figuring out when it was made. The serial # is C0100xx

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TheGunnet, those calculators are only good for pre-1950 rifles usually. Yours dates to the fall of 1975.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for the help and quick response.

R
R
Anybody here anymore?

I inherited a 99 from my grandfather. Shot a deer with it that first year, cleaned it and put it in my safe. My 13 year old son is just coming into the hunting scene and he is infatuated with this rifle. Can you please let me know what year is what manufactured and steer me to any information explaning the 99E or 99F, so He and I can learn about grampa's gun together?

The serial number is 4299XX.

Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Won't be an E or an F, more than likely an EG but could be an R.

Does it have a double grove on the end of the forearm or does it have a Schnabel tipped forearm?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
R
R
Mad Dog,

Good question! This is where I need the education about Grandpa's rifle. I really have no idea but want to learn about these intricacies. I'm new here also so I'd like to post a picture of it....I need to figure out how!

R
R
Here are a few pix of Grandpa's gun...I hope they are attached!

I found this web site, http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm, which actually made me more confused. It gave me two different dates of manufacture, 1946 or 1918 according to American Rifleman.

Then it said the Lever Boss code of C, gives me a date of 1951.
Is that C in my pictures, the lever boss?

Attached Images
savage 99 a.jpg (36.78 KB, 427 downloads)
Grandpa's 99
savage 99 b.jpg (32.27 KB, 507 downloads)
Other side
savage 99 c.jpg (24.18 KB, 409 downloads)
forearm
savage 99 d.jpg (14.2 KB, 615 downloads)
I found this C in front of the lever?
R
R
After a little more research, this may help with the manufacture date.

The 300 Savage has the Schnoble Forearm with checkering, Brass rotary magazine and counter and the safety is positioned on the lever.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The first number you got of 1946 is the one you want. The lever boss code system didn't start until 1949, so the c is probably an inspectors mark. The LBC system works like this: 1949 "A", 1950 "B", 1951 "C", no "O" or "Q" because they look too much alike, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best advice for you is to buy a copy of Doug Murrays book "The Ninety-Nine". Search ebay, or see mailing address at front of this forum, under miscellaneous good info. Probably cost you $30. or less. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a model 99EG.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Made in 1945, I've got one very close to that serial number and letter showed 1945.

R
R
Thank you for the info!

My son got to take it deer hunting this weekend.
He would have got one if he'd remembered to chamber one!

Regardless he loves it and is so excited to find out when it was made. I'll order my book tonight!

Thanx.

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 33 34

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.