Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Redneck has got me to thinking of survival scenarios. Here's the four that I've thought about off and on.

1. The caveman survival scenario. This scenario envisions the total break down of all civilization due to some super catastrophic event such as a giant asteroid hitting earth or total nuclear winter. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

2. The hermit mountain man survival scenario. This scenario envisions a person or family living off the government grid and living a life style similar to a 18th or early 19th century. I gave this scenario some serious consideration when I was a real young adult but I soon realized that this was a romantic notion that didn't live up to the romance. I did look into the type of weapons for this scenario that would work. Muzzle loading flintlocks and long bows.

3. The short term catastrophic event scenario. This scenario envisions a temporary event such as a giant snow storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc. The survivalist here is primarily concerned with self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators. Here semi-autos would be best or a pump shotgun.

4. The Great Depression event scenario. This scenario envisions a partial collapse of the national government due to bankruptcy. It is assumed that if one is truly a survivalist and worried about this scenario that one is living in a rural area with some land put aside along with other items for survival. Here a semi-auto rifle and hand gun for self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators and a center fired rifle and .22lr rifle for putting food on the table.

I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival. My answer was also determine the survival scenario you think most likely to happen and than choose the best weapons for that survival scenario.

Do you guys have any other survival scenarios to share and the types of weapons that might work?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You and TRH's survival on this forum are remarkable achievments and certainly qualify you as a "survival expert" .grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You and TRH's survival on this forum are remarkable achievments and certainly qualify you as a "survival expert" .grin

You may have a point there. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You forgot zombies. Gotta have a good zombie gun!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is getting with neighbors and working for common defense and survival.
Sharing assets and working together. Seems like that solution has always worked.
Weapons would be what we have, and on my particular block that comes to a bunch.
Bolt action hunting rifles, simi autos with hi cap mags, rimfires, and shotguns. Ammo counted in thousands of rounds.
One local house has a well, there are reasonable supplies of fire wood and propane cylinders, I personally have several months of food and I know for a fact that the folks next door could live for a year on what they have. I assume some others have stocks in some amount
Looters come around here and we will take what they have instead of losing our stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"A man can never have too many books, too much red wine, or too much ammunition".
After that, a decent store of dehydrated, vacuum packed, or otherwise preserved food to last a year or two. Plenty of firewood and several water sources is also good. If you've got a roof full of solar panels, you'd be set. Read and watch DVD's while waiting for the intruder alarm to go off. :-)

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Doesn't matter, I will just take your schitt. Bomb shelter or not, your schitt will become my schitt... laugh

-Piss into the wind.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival.
=============

I barely survived after reading that major crock of schit!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If we experience anything like another Great Depression, it's going to be much worse than the last time. Several factors: 1) Back then most people were rural and relatively self-sufficient (i.e., didn't depend on a functioning infrastructure), while today most people are non-rural, and very few (even among the rural) today have the skills to be self-sufficient to any degree, 2) Lack of community cohesion compared to back then, and 3) back then most folks had basic Christian values deeply ingrained in them, while today most do not, as Christian values have largely been expunged from popular culture by the left.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Folks today would think that the world had come to an end if they had to live the way an average American with a job lived in the 1930's. Hell, our "poor" folks today have multiple bedroom homes or apartments, indoor plumbing, central air and heating, flat screen tv's, cable, internet, cell phones, food stamps, school meals, etc. all courtesy of public welfare. Only in America are desperately poor people fat. Take away the goodies and there will be blood in the streets. The best survival strategy is to live a good distance away from the major metro areas.

I'm better when I move.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Folks today would think that the world had come to an end if they had to live the way an average American with a job lived in the 1930's. Hell, our "poor" folks today have multiple bedroom homes or apartments, indoor plumbing, central air and heating, flat screen tv's, cable, internet, cell phones, food stamps, school meals, etc. all courtesy of public welfare. Only in America are desperately poor people fat. Take away the goodies and there will be blood in the streets. The best survival strategy is to live a good distance away from the major metro areas.
No major metro areas near me, unless you consider Gainesville one, but that's a small college town, and I'm about thirty miles away from that, and live in a one traffic light rural town.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like one of the 301 speed trap towns.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where we live (daughters place) and the nearby neighbors we will be fine. A few head of cattle, some chickens, a pond, deep and shallow wells (yes Virginia sulfur water is OK to drink) and a BIG propane tank. We will be OK including the plus I was a working Paramedic for many moons and wife is a RN. Guns we have but they do not play that big a role in our plans, the fact we have food & water plus good shelter in a relatively out of the way place is our plan.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No major metro areas near me, unless you consider Gainesville one, but that's a small college town, and I'm about thirty miles away from that, and live in a one traffic light rural town.

Your hood already is bad enough. wink

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't worry about it. The government will take care of me. That's what they are there for. crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Redneck has got me to thinking of survival scenarios. Here's the four that I've thought about off and on.

1. The caveman survival scenario. This scenario envisions the total break down of all civilization due to some super catastrophic event such as a giant asteroid hitting earth or total nuclear winter. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

2. The hermit mountain man survival scenario. This scenario envisions a person or family living off the government grid and living a life style similar to a 18th or early 19th century. I gave this scenario some serious consideration when I was a real young adult but I soon realized that this was a romantic notion that didn't live up to the romance. I did look into the type of weapons for this scenario that would work. Muzzle loading flintlocks and long bows.

3. The short term catastrophic event scenario. This scenario envisions a temporary event such as a giant snow storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc. The survivalist here is primarily concerned with self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators. Here semi-autos would be best or a pump shotgun.

4. The Great Depression event scenario. This scenario envisions a partial collapse of the national government due to bankruptcy. It is assumed that if one is truly a survivalist and worried about this scenario that one is living in a rural area with some land put aside along with other items for survival. Here a semi-auto rifle and hand gun for self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators and a center fired rifle and .22lr rifle for putting food on the table.

I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival. My answer was also determine the survival scenario you think most likely to happen and than choose the best weapons for that survival scenario.

Do you guys have any other survival scenarios to share and the types of weapons that might work?

I'll take number 3 for 200, Alex.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by T LEE
Where we live (daughters place) and the nearby neighbors we will be fine. A few head of cattle, some chickens, a pond, deep and shallow wells (yes Virginia sulfur water is OK to drink) and a BIG propane tank. We will be OK including the plus I was a working Paramedic for many moons and wife is a RN. Guns we have but they do not play that big a role in our plans, the fact we have food & water plus good shelter in a relatively out of the way place is our plan.

Yeah, but you're screwed if all your cats revolt. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Doesn't matter, I will just take your schitt. Bomb shelter or not, your schitt will become my schitt... laugh

You make big assumptions, don't you

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i was watching some mel gibson movie the other day after some big boom happened, that is his and his son, i think it was called the road.
first think occured to me was how well everybody else was armed and he had two rounds in a .38.
the other thing is i believe it would be good above all else to have a group of like minded people of good heart to band together.
A wolf by himself is one thing, but a pack is another.
I have also encouraged sharing and helping one another.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Your hood already is bad enough. wink
Not my hood, but the neighboring hood. Things break down and our hood would likely be on armed lock down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.