Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This evening ironeagle84 came and patiently spent a couple hours trying to show me how to post a photo. I thought it would be fun for me to post a photo of my beautiful Minox 13X56. Posting this photo took 1/2 hour. I need practice.

[Linked Image]

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice first photo,,

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question as to why so much magnification? The 13X seems unusual?

I have had a pair of Hensoldt 8X56's for a very long time. While they are clear and well made they are just too big for hunting. I don't use them much.

[Linked Image]

To each his own.

Minox 13X

Big binocular page Hensoldt 8-56

The spec sheet above says the Minox 856 weighs approx. 1080 g / 38.1 oz. My Hensoldt 856's weigh 28 oz (twenty eight ounces).

These 856's were in the basement where I had not looked at them in many years as 842 binoculars suit me fine. These Hensoldts have been used a lot by me. They are banged up some, the 'leatherette' on one barrel is chipped off and the carry strap was broken and tied on. Looking through the double glass picture window they are still sharp and clear.

To add here is a picture taken a while ago of my 8-42's, my son's Pentax and the Hensoldts.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bruzer,

Thanks for the compliment.

Savage_99,

Question as to why so much magnification? The 13X seems unusual?

I really likethe eye cups on the left one. Anyway,when I read what the guys here use to hunt out in the open sage, I decided to try out some "Big Eyes" for myself. Perhaps most of the folks here, including you, have better angle of accuity than I do. I ususally see game at the same time or even before others in the woods, but I think others see distance better than I do. Things are clear, since I have corrected vision to 20/20, but when Alaska Shannon saw cariboo on a hill. I old him the hill was two or three miles away. He agreed with me and then told me take a look with the Nikons. Several dots were moving from left to right. He took the binocs and exclaimed, "Looka the horns on that one!"
Huh? Judging antlers with 7X at at least two miles is not in my abilties.

I used the Minox only one time and they were wonderful. A few of us went rock chuck hunting. Really nice, but I prefer more magnfication than what these wonderful glasses provide. The furthest distance I searched was maybe 3/4 of a mile. Things were clear, but I want more detail. They are used only on a tri-pod so are very stable while panning.

By the way I had a great time saying things like....
"You see the big rock right in the middle of that rock formation?"
"Yea."
"Do you see the reddish rock about ten feet to the right?"
"Yea."
"O.k. Go about six feet at 4:O'clock. There is a 'chuck laying there. Do you see it?"
"No."

This happened a lot. Good for the fun and good for the population for next year's hunting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got the 842's out of the car and when they warmed up I just compared them to the 856's.

Its bright and sunny here with the sun at my back. Both binoculars are sharp and clear in this light. No need for 56mm now.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 70 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.