Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I'm still in the market for a good rifle scope and wanted to hear some input on this one. Please feel free to compare it to others you have used and if you think the 3.5-10 is better I want to hear it. Thanks, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
bsa, I'll go into more detail privatly BUT, having owned both, I'd say go for the 3-9 over the 3.5-10 and don't look back. It's a WAY more friendly scope and 2/3 the price to boot. And I'm thinking that there's not one thing that 10x magnification does, that 9x does not.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Jeff, I pm'd you earlier but you didn't respond.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The zeiss 4.5-14x44 is awesome scope.If you are going to be shooting long range the 4.5-14x44 would be the way to go, but I would get one with turrets and forget the rapid Z800.

1 and done
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I grew up hunting with 4X and 6X scopes..I still have a box of old steel tube weavers and denver redfields..[I killed my first deer, a desert mule deer at seven years old, and have killed more than some on two continents since] As I approach concluding my seventh decade, I'm somewhat more openminded. INMHO the 4.5X14 Zeiss are fine scopes..I have two, one with a rapid Z 800 and the other #4 reticle. They are bright, big sweet spots and more than adequate eye relief. The Zeiss website has good data on the rapid Z reticles..I use a combination of the Zeiss data, my ballistic program and real shooting to use the reticle for my loads and conditions..That may seem somewhat involved, but, in real application, it's easy to do. I hunt in big open canyon country a lot, and while these are primarily my coyote scopes, I sometimes kill a pretty nice buck with em' One is on my .300 WSM [Hart barrel, etc], the other on my 7mm Rem Mag. For me, the Z800 reticle is somewhat faster to use when the coyote is traveling through the sage and cedars..

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by highridge1
The zeiss 4.5-14x44 is awesome scope.If you are going to be shooting long range the 4.5-14x44 would be the way to go, but I would get one with turrets and forget the rapid Z800.

Checked into this myself, but Doug says the turrets only come on mil-dot and Z800 reticle scope, not on the plex.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can have zeiss put a turret on the 4.5-14x44 Z-plex, I think it's around $60. I just think it's far more accurate to turn your turret to the exact moa instead of using mil dots or other long range reticles.

1 and done
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys are bringing up some good points. I think I'd opt for the target type turret for elevation adjustment and just go with the zplex reticle. Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated, bsa.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I purchased my new 6-24x56 Diavari,I went with the varmint reticle.This way,I have the option of using the reticle if in a hurry,or twisting turrets if I choose to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
stubblejumper,

I have an odd request. If you have available for comparison either a Z5 or a Bushnell 6500, would you put the side by side and see how the magnifiction setting line up?

For example when I compared both of the above with my NightForce they were on 16�X and 15�X respctively while the NightForce was on only 12X to see the same detail.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If interested in twisting turrets I'd compare the available elevation between the 44 and 50, mm.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You can have zeiss put a turret on the 4.5-14x44 Z-plex, I think it's around $60. I just think it's far more accurate to turn your turret to the exact moa instead of using mil dots or other long range reticles.

I agree, was just pointing out the only way to get the turrets on a rdy-to-go scope is with the other reticles.

Any idea how long it takes 'em to do the turrets? Cost wise that isn't bad.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a differing opinion than those posted so far.

If it proves to be accurate and the yardages are spot on with your gun/load its a great system.

My experiece with the Z800 has been very favorable. For shots on game the size of a coyote on up it is more simple and faster than using a elevation turret. Plus I have a hard time trusting turrets to be that precise on riflescopes in this price range. I have had mixed results with my standard plex 4.5x14x44 conquest on another rifle. Turret twisting just adds another variable to account for in hunting situations.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 12/27/10.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Per Zeiss you can only get a turret on a victory model scope.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by jryoung

Per Zeiss you can only get a turret on a victory model scope.

Must be a recent change, I had a set put in a 3x9 conquest.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.