Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BX

my 308 is coming with a rock so good choice. I am a Krieger/PacNor man mostly. Have had bad issues with Schneiders and Liljas in the past.

Any thoughts on barrel brand for over and under 30 cal?

More specifically 7mm and 338?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rost, the only barrel I've had consistently outperform expectations is the 308 caliber Rock.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495
BX

my 308 is coming with a rock so good choice. I am a Krieger/PacNor man mostly. Have had bad issues with Schneiders and Liljas in the past.

Any thoughts on barrel brand for over and under 30 cal?

More specifically 7mm and 338?

That sounds like a great project. I would be very intrested to see pictures and hear specifics of this over and under.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
rost,

Is you stick with Bartlein, Broughton, Rock, Krieger, or Lilja barrels, I don't think you can go wrong!!

Just make sure you explain to your smith what bullet you want to shoot & how far, so he can get the ideal twist for your application.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The current GA Precision website lists the Rock rifle with a Bartlein barrel. Actually Their website no longer lists Rock or Rockcreek barrels at all. I am wondering why they parted ways.....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
GAP uses mainly Bartlein barrel these days. Not sure why, but they use them on most of their builds, unless someone requests something else.

Bartlein is a very high end barrel!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read somewhere that Rock's barrels being absent from GA Precision's website was not due to barrel quality but intead related to other issues. I don't know what the other issues might be, but I'm sure there is more to running a barrel company than just making a good product.

I've got a fluted 5R .30cal Rock blank and a stripped 700 short action sitting here now. I might get GAP to do the barrel and action work just because of their reputation with 308 builds. They are probably $150 higher than the other guy I use, but I might bite the bullet and give them a call. Couldn't hurt resale either....

Last edited by JPro; 12/16/09.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This has been a great post - thank you everyone for your imput. It sure looks like GAP builds a fine product, and really their Non-Typical I'd take as is except for maybe a slightly smaller bolt knob but thats it. One in 7mm-08 wouldn't suck.

I just need to figure out what to sell and maybe see if a GAP is in my future. Got a .223 LVSF just collecting dust so maybe thats one to go?? Will see.
I already have a build in the works with Karl, but one of these might also be sexy:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regarding Rock barrels, I've ordered two directly from Rock Creek, and never received them. I believe its relevant that neither were 30 caliber barrels, which is his staple. I had such good luck with the 30 calibers that I thought I'd try a 277 and 284, but no such luck. If I had to speculate something along those lines might have influenced the relationship with GAP.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
bx,

You are probably right - GAP uses alot of barrels for various projects & maybe Rock Creek could not keep up with the demand??

I have a Rock barrel on my custom 30-06 and its a tack driver. I used a 1-11.25" twist on it.

Last edited by 300MAG; 12/16/09.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
This has been a great post - thank you everyone for your imput. It sure looks like GAP builds a fine product, and really their Non-Typical I'd take as is except for maybe a slightly smaller bolt knob but thats it. One in 7mm-08 wouldn't suck.

I just need to figure out what to sell and maybe see if a GAP is in my future. Got a .223 LVSF just collecting dust so maybe thats one to go?? Will see.
I already have a build in the works with Karl, but one of these might also be sexy:)

I agree and have read this post with a lot of intrige! I'm wanting a non-typical in 308! What are your thoughts on barrel length, I'm not sure I'd run a 25" (as they state in the specs) for a 7-08 or 308, perhaps a 23" or so assuming it didn't throw the balance off. Agree on the bolt handle.

My other questions would be the standard stock quality, you can opt for an Edge for more $. And finally I'm not sure what I'd do for bases/rings. Kind of like the rail as shown on the website but do others with experience with this set up have difficulties mounting a scope low enough, say one with a 40mm objective or less? I'd just like to know if you can mount as low as the lowest Talley's, which by the way are already a touch too high.

Nice rifle and it's got me thinking . . .

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
cfran,

For a .308 or a 7mm-08 I'd run a 22" or 23" barrel. I would definetly step to the McMillan stock - you only have 1 chance to do it right the first time.

GAP uses alot of Badger rails & rings. These are top-notch!! Badger offers these in their lightweight alloy versions which would work perfectly on a lightweight set-up.

Great thing about GAP, besides their awesome work, they'll build it the way you want it. You can discuss what you are looking for & they'll build it to your specs. This is what I have done on my 2 builds from them.

Take care!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 12/17/09.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thank you sir, good info. and I agree about doing an Edge.

What are your thoughts about skipping the floor plate and doing a detachable clip. Honestly I'm more of a ADL guy but I don't hate the idea of a clip. I notice that's how they do many of their heavier guns . . .

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
cfran,

For a hunting rifle, I'd do a "BDL" style bottom metal. Badger also makes a lightweight alloy bottom metal - the M4.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cfran, for a 308, especially one for hunting, I'd certainly not go with a barrel longer than 22".

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bxroads
cfran, for a 308, especially one for hunting, I'd certainly not go with a barrel longer than 22".

How about a 7mm-08? I guess I've been brain washed to think you must have a 24 inch barrel or else your just not worthy - would 22-23 be just as good for hunting especially if going for more of a lightweight overall rifle??

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My guess is a 7mm-08 would be no different than a 308 but I'll defer to others. To me I just would be concerned about the overall balance of the gun - i.e. wouldn't want it too muzzle light. I was told you could shave an additional 4-6ozs of by barrel flutes, this is a listed option from GAP.

Overall this looks like a pretty sweet gun for the dollars!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cfran
To me I just would be concerned about the overall balance of the gun - i.e. wouldn't want it too muzzle light.

You won't talk to one person with an edge stocked (or any stock in the 20 - 24 oz range) 700 short action that describes a 22" barrel as muzzle light even with the lightest barrel. Think about it. The factory wood stock on a Model 7 is probably 35 oz and it has a 20" THIN barrel. The Mountain rifle has a 22" thin barrel and a 35 oz stock. I've never heard much gripe over either. With a light weight stock the balance is even more towards the muzzle.

There is no signficant gain in velocity from 22" to 24".

Two inches makes a significant difference in handiness.

I might even go 20" if it were mine.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
any reason to not go with the B&C stock on the base "non-typical"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
oregonmuley,
Just picked up a non-typical GAP in a 7-08. I went with a #3 countour Rock barrel at 23 inches, Rimrock stock in ADL configuration, and a Surgeon action. The balance is pretty good at 6.5 lbs without scope. If you want lighter, you can easily do a #2 countour barrel at 22 inches and a Edge stock and lose almost a pound. There a thread on here somewhere.

What I did was gather the parts that I wanted and sent it in to have them put it together. This still cost $750, with shipping. They add in the cost of a cheap plastic hardcase if you don't supply one. Any coating is additional and it's a several month wait time.

Was it worth it? Well, I could have built the gun cheaper but to me it was worth it. It shoots very well and keep it's resale value because it is backed up by a well known quality company.

Would I do it again? Probably not. It's a lot of money to have tied up in a rifle. I might have a Remington Ti rebarreled when I shoot it out, but that would be about it. I have other guns that shoot very well also, and it did not cost nearly as much to have put together. For a hunting rifle I just don't see the need to wring out that much accuracy because you can not use it in the field. Maybe with a beanfield rifle but not a regular one.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.