Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
How do you clean a very good Whetstone. The stone has the metal particles embedded in the stone from much use and we would like to clean it.
Thanks for your recommendations
Phil

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Water. Soap won't hurt it either.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
+1

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I 'inherited" an old Norton oilstone that was clogged up. I used kerosene and a wire brush to get the worst crud off, then used Dawn dishwashing soap and an old fingernail brush to get the rest off. Let it dry, re-oil with mineral oil, and go back to work...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soap, water, and a brush. Mineral oil it up and simply wipe with a paper towel or two after each use.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/27/10.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of the above,....if still dissatisfied,....BEAD BLAST it with Aerospace Grade Finish grit.

Any good Harley Engine shop will do this for a six-pack.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A flat steel table top and a handful of media blast/sand.
Work the stone in a circular motion against the flat of the table.Any piece of flat steel big enough, will work.
It will take off all the embedded chit and flatten it out if you work it enough.
Clean with mineral sprits.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Cinder block + pail of water:

Dunk the whetstone in a pail of water. Rub the stone on the wet cinder block, using a figure-eight motion. Dunk the whetstone in the water, frequently. This will clean and flatten the surface of your whetstone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
use water on a new stone and don't ever put oil on it. Unless you try to sharpen something such as aluminum it should never become clogged up.
Only way I konw that will remove the oil is to burn it out and there is a good chance doing that will break the stone.
Build a fire with the stone in it from the beginning, and hope for the best.
Boiling in a large pan might work.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i boil mine in a large pan, in the kitchen, with water and liquid soap the wife uses. i usually boil them for a couple hours. seems to get em' quite clean. then i use a cinder block to give each that "flat" surface, rinse with water, let dry for a few days, and oil em' up again for a couple years. ymmv.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
use water on a new stone and don't ever put oil on it. Unless you try to sharpen something such as aluminum it should never become clogged up.
Only way I konw that will remove the oil is to burn it out and there is a good chance doing that will break the stone.
Build a fire with the stone in it from the beginning, and hope for the best.
Boiling in a large pan might work.

Some stones like water only,

some DEMAND oil, some viscosity specific, to boot

"Whetstone" is a pretty generic term.

I've owned and run em' both,......and gotta say that the modern "Sintered" stones have got a clear edge over the old tech quarried variety,...that edge being Homogeneity , and really uniform structure.

ANY,....repeat ANY of them will respond to most all of the excellent advice given here today.

"Figure 8 lapping" will cure damn near any mechanical mis-alignment known to man.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just one of them Green acrylic square scrubbing pads (sometimes old tooth brushes also help) with water and a basic can powder detergent - like Ajax or Comet has worked wonders for me.

Especially so, to restore clogged 'crock' sharpening sticks.

If, I was dealing with "oil" stone ... I think I'd try the same thing (as above) but use "DAWN" liquid soap - which really cuts oil & grease effectively.

Like one of the previous post's said ... "Rinse with Water."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
make a paste with "Barkeepers Friend", and rub it into the stone until it washes clean.

Sam......

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Folks Thank you for all of the tips. I will put them to good use this weekend
Phil

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use Dawn liquid soap as honing oil on my oil stones and then rinse the stone off after use with an occasional scrub with a toothbrush. Keeps it clean as you go.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
S R
Neat idea we will try it going forward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by stray round
I use Dawn liquid soap as honing oil on my oil stones and then rinse the stone off after use with an occasional scrub with a toothbrush. Keeps it clean as you go.

I've gone to using soap as well on SiC stones. I don't know if they are oil or water stones, but it doesn't seem to matter and as you said, clean-up is easy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you normally use your stone with oil immersing in kerosene to saturation then wrapping it in an old towel and baking it at about 250 degrees for a couple of hours will raise embedded steel from the pores. As stated by others soap and water works to finish up and on a mildly embedded stone is probably all you may need.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Try using Simple Green instead of oil or water, doesn't matter what type of stone. It works better and you won't have to worry about getting it clean.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the lectures I attended at the Hammer in in August recommended using Windex as a honing lubricant. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds pretty smart.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,825
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.