Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
How many times have y'all read a crime report, and the perp's Mother says "he was such a good Christian boy........"
link to story
Hazel Yoachum remained in disbelief Tuesday after the 4 a.m. knock on her door.

It was the police letting her know her son � a 20-year-old she figured to be a good kid � was dead from police gunfire.

Mark Stephen Yoachum Jr. was identified as a suspect in an armed robbery hours before at the Family Dollar store on Chaffee Point Boulevard in Jacksonville�s Westside. Police said he wore a mask, menaced customers with a gun, then made a break for it in a stolen car.

Chief John Hartley said Yoachum crashed the car in a ditch on Bulls Bay Highway. He ran amid a full-blown search as police helicopters and dogs tracked him to the 8200 block of Oregon Street, where he was shot and killed.

Police said Yoachum fired at officers and killed a police dog, a nearly five-year veteran named Sarge, during an exchange of gunfire.

Hartley said it was not clear who fired the first shot.

Hazel Yoachum said she wants answers.

�We could not believe what we had heard, that he was involved in anything like that,� she said. �It was definitely not the person we knew. We don�t know what happened. We were always a close family, a loving family and a church-going family.�

Hazel Yoachum said her son, who was known to many by his middle name, Stephen, was home-schooled and attended Promise Land Baptist Church on Blair Road.

He did odd jobs and landscaping to get by, but she said she�s stunned to think he�d ever resort to crime. Duval County court records show nothing more serious than traffic tickets, but Florida Department of Law Enforcement records show Yoachum registered as a felon in Jacksonville in April 2009. He had to do so because of a 2008 burglary charge in Georgia, police said.

�The boy we knew was totally different,� Yoachum said.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a defense mechanism, what would you expect them to say, "my boy is such a punk, we knew it was only a matter of time?".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading many posts on this site alone and the number of people in denial this is easy to believe.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You'd expect them to know?

There are a lot of things my parents were the last to know, things my mom went to her grave not knowing and likely my dad will too. Better for them, better for me.

And I was not a "bad" kid. Just interpreted the rules as I felt appropriate.

It'd be more interesting to hear what siblings say. They tend to be a lot more 'in the know'.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
You'd expect them to know?

There are a lot of things my parents were the last to know, things my mom went to her grave not knowing and likely my dad will too. Better for them, better for me.

And I was not a "bad" kid. Just interpreted the rules as I felt appropriate.

It'd be more interesting to hear what siblings say. They tend to be a lot more 'in the know'.

Tom

Hell my mom still thinks I was a good kid...thank God the old man could see through it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A mother's love is blind. Well, usually!

Sassy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i about ruptured a kidney laughing on my 16th birthday when my loving grandma said to me... "sweet 16 and never been kissed?"

i know i wasnt married and all, but that struck me as pretty funny considering what i got for my birthday from my girlfriend... whistle

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
And Father's too.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Sassy

Obviously in your case, but we understand.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a damned shame about the dog.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes mothers are really that stupid!
I have called Mothers in the middle of the night to tell them that I chased "Little Johnny" all through the city on foot just to tackle him and have a pistol and a bag of dope fly out of his waistband...
The Mothers response..."It couldn't have been his!"

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many children have a Jekyll and Hyde personality. My brother was like that, at home he was a pretty good kid away from home, look out.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aren't most boys like that?

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a lot of kids go thru a wild side in late teens and early 20's, at least a lot I knew did and I did myself.

it sure wasn't for lack of tryin by my folks to instill right and wrong. I just flat wanted to do some wrong and did.

my guess is as a few others have related here, a lot of parents of good folks on the 'fire would be surprised if they knew what activities some of you did as a late teen early adult.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAS2
Aren't most boys like that?

I don't know. I wasn't like that.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wooops

Last edited by Monkey_Joe; 12/28/10.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
Wooops

Whats whoops mean? Anything in particular?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Sassy

Obviously in your case, but we understand.

grin grin grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Seeing as many mothers today do little more than hatch an egg I'm not suprised that they would be so fooled.

However I would like to hear some one once say the little turd had it coming.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
How many times have y'all read a crime report, and the perp's Mother says "he was such a good Christian boy....
Zillions..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.