Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
In the summer time, it's kinda hard to carry concealed. I was thinking about a shoulder holster and wearing it under a button up shirt. I know it wouldn't be the fastest thing, but it's better than nuthin. Medium size auto is what I normally carry.

So has anyone done this? Alternatives?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Done it many times with a Galco and a 4" K-frame S&W ( I'm a big guy) Shirt of choice is an untucked Columbia " Bonehead"...cooler and mopre comfy in the summer than a T-shirt...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

i use a smaller s&w 5 shot revolver in the warm weather for easier concealment. however, if i decide to take my 9mm, i place it inside my belt near the hip & leave my shirt untucked.

-ken

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
The Hi-ride belt holster/untucked combo is good in the summer.... grin

I do a GREAT deal more of that than the shoulder rig...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Galco Jackass rig.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
For warm weather, look at a Smart Carry.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Smart carry is great under everything
My shoulder rig of choice:
Bianchi Leatherite.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This works pretty well, depending on the type of gun you carry, & is more comfortable to wear than a shoulder holster next to the skin. Not super fast to get into action but that's usually not a problem. Gun needs to be fairly light to work well, though, IMO.

Shirt Holster

I just usually use an IWB holster & a loose fitting island shirt or T-shirt.

My holsters pull the gun in tight w/o any real problem & I'm usually carrying either a Glock 27 or a Commander sized 1911.

I'm using Brommeland leather.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
In the summer time, it's kinda hard to carry concealed. I was thinking about a shoulder holster and wearing it under a button up shirt. I know it wouldn't be the fastest thing, but it's better than nuthin. Medium size auto is what I normally carry.

So has anyone done this? Alternatives?
Get one of those nylon elastic rigs, or one of those T-shirts with a holster built in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wear an underarmor heat-gear compression fit sleeveless t-shirt.

Then wear an inside the waistband holster, I like Comp-Tac's Minotaur and Crossbreed's. There are other good ones out there - I noticed in a magazine that Galco is copying the crossbreed. There are lots of others. Just be sure and get one that where you can get a full firing grip on the handgun during draw with.

Anyway wear a loose Polo shirt over, untucked in. You can tuck if you need to be more formal but untucked is cooler. If you need to wear something like a button up shirt it will still work tucked, just be sure it's loose enough to pull up quickly with your left hand. This vid gives a quick demo with a Tucked in button up shirt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sba22lojGbw&feature=related

The underarmor takes a little getting used to but once you do get used to them you'll feel naked without one. They wick moisture and being dry feels cooler. I wore this combo in 100+ degrees and can carry a full size Sig P-220 without notice with this set-up. It was recommended by one of our local instructors.

Drawing is VERY fast. Sweep up shirt with left hand, draw with right. With practice it can be very nearly as fast as an open carry holster. You can carry a very wide variety of pistols. The UnderArmor shirt not only keeps you cool and dry but slickens the draw considerably. If there is a faster way to draw from a concealed setup I don't know it.................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ime IWB holsters add too much bulk, have one really thin one for a full size gov't that ain't bad, but I prefer the clip draw for autos, not so much for revolvers though I've tried them.

Montana Man do you actually have and use one of the 5.11 shoulder holster shirts you linked? If so I'd be interested to hear how it actually performs. I've not used it, but have tried some of their other products.

i.e.

I've two of their short sleeve and long sleeve shirts that have the snaps that look like buttons and the velcro pockets that serve as a place for a weapon, but truthfully am less than satisfied with that setup. For one the fabric is heavy enough the shirts are too hot for summer wear on really hot days, and two the weapon in the internal pockets doesn't secure the gun well enough for my liking.

have also used the elastic waistband TRH spoke of, it doesn't get used much, better in winter.

for summer use, ime, it's clip draw or a small enough weapon to go in a front pocket holster.

but one man's junk is another's treasure.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
ime IWB holsters add too much bulk, have one really thin one for a full size gov't that ain't bad, but I prefer the clip draw for autos, not so much for revolvers though I've tried them.

Bulk IS an issue with some IWB holsters but not as much with the 2 I mentioned. Have you by chance tried either, or maybe another kydex leather hybrid rig? They might solve your issue with thickness at least.....................DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dj, I've yet to see a kydex holster that I could like. talk about adding bulk FAST! at least ime with them.

will check out the two you mentioned

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is Nutnfancy's standard with a Galco of some variety, and a PF9. Seems like it'd be comfy, but slow/complex to deploy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dj, I've yet to see a kydex holster that I could like. talk about adding bulk FAST! at least ime with them.

will check out the two you mentioned

I tried out the Comp-Tac Kydex holster "infidel" and didn't care for it at all either...............dj

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

it's been many years since i used any of my holsters.

-ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ime IWB holsters add too much bulk,

I use a Brommeland IWB holster, & outside of a Nossar, it's the thinnist I've seen. Most any IWB with a 1911 is a fair sized piece of leather by nature of the size of the gun.

The Brommeland has more forward can't than most, which I like & that helps it pull the butt in snugly against my body making concealment relatively easy.

For virtually any use I prefer it over the shirt thing.

Next best alternative is a pocket pistol, but, IMO that's generally pretty limiting as to the the horsepower of the gun.

A lightweight J-frame is about the max size for pocket carry; I have a S&W 340PD that weighs 12 oz empty, & it is fine if I have fairly baggy pants with a loose pocket. It'll handle 357's but that's just too much for a gun that light & small, so I only carry it with 38's & therein lies the constraint with pocket pistols, IMO

Brommeland Leather

Nossar Gunleather

(Getting anything from Nossar quick is like pulling teeth.......he's actually in Peru, but it's wonderful stuff)

Montana Man do you actually have and use one of the 5.11 shoulder holster shirts you linked? If so I'd be interested to hear how it actually performs.

Yes, I actually have 2...........fit is important as it needs to be very snug & it's definitely best when used with a lightweight gun. My 20 oz Glock 27 works pretty well in it but a 38 oz 1911 just does not. If yours isn't pretty snug, you might want to try a size smaller.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks bud, I don't have one of the undershirt gigs they make, just the regular shirts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another option you might try is a belt clip.

It hooks to the side of the pistol and lets you put the gun inside your waistband.

Only drawback is, I've only seen them for small pistols.

Have one on my Ruger LCP and am able to conceal it under a tank top with shorts. For real hot weather, this works for me!

.380 still beats a sharp stick!

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Another option you might try is a belt clip.

It hooks to the side of the pistol and lets you put the gun inside your waistband.

Only drawback is, I've only seen them for small pistols.

Virgil B.

They make 'em for 1911's..........never used one though; maybe someone else here has & can chime in.

I'd be concerned with how solidly it holds the gun in place during bending, sitting, etc.

Clip Draw

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.