Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Okay - With the recent post concerning ear protection, it seems
like a good idea to discuss quieter rifle calibers that will get the job done. Also, availabilty of the cartridge may be of interest to the non handloaders.

I will start off with one of the obvious calibers. The 30-30.
With a 24 inch barrel it is very quiet and can get up to 2600 fps with a 150 gr spire point bullet. It kicks very little. It is also cheap ammo and available about anywhere. matt

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far as hearing damage goes, even rimfires cause damage.
The damage accumulates, little by little, eventually becoming a problem.
From your ears standpoint, a 30-30 is not quiet enough to be harmless.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Good point fishdog52. But does it help? I would think so. And,
does it help even with hearing protection? Again, I would think
so.

At one of our gun shows here in Tulsa, there was a man who got a booth and was selling off his intire collection of Lazzeroni rifles due to the excessive noise and getting all new quieter rifle calibers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Many of us have hearing problems, especially as we age, due to gun shot noise. I served in a tank unit when in the military in the 60's & at that time little was done to protect hearing. I have shot a lot at the range, hunting, & as an instructor. I always used hearing protection on the range, but the damage has been done. When I set in the woods I hear a symphony.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This 22lr and 223 are quiet, not mine though they belong to a friend who lives in Indiana. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eldorado, That is where folks make a pretty common mistake. By this I mean the perception of less damage, is not the same thing as no damage. Fact is, you are still damaging your hearing...permanently.
An example I see a lot is with 22 rifles. Just cuz' it no longer hurts, it is common to see the shooter, often older, failing to use the hearing protection he uses with his centerfires or shotgun. This lack of pain hides the fact that you are continuing to contribute to the damage...permanently.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I will be 39 years old in May, and I have 60 percent of my hearing. That is to say, I have 20% in my left ear, and 40% in my right. I did it shooting.

The fact of the matter is, that when you mow your lawn, you should wear hearing protection. When you blow the leaves off your driveway, you should wear hearing protection. You should never drive around with your car radio turned up past #6. You should certainly not go to rock concerts, and never run a jackhammer. Avoid NASCAR races, and forget about Funny Cars and Dragsters. Chainsaws and weed eaters are also detrimental to your hearing.

I do, however think, that there are cartridges whose report is less painful and yet they are still imminently effective in hunting situations. I agree on the .30 WCF. It seems to me that the operating pressure of the cartridge is what determines this for me. The lower pressure cartridges tend to "boom" rather than "crack". For my ears, or what is left of them, the "crack" is more painful for me.

A wildcard, or caveat here is the use of a muzzle break. They make fairly sedate cartridges into nasty little crackers. I once had a Marlin .35 remington which was ported, and I shot it only once at a deer with no hearing protection. It was like shooting a 2 1/2" .357 Magnum with no hearing protection.

I agree with the earlier poster who said that we suffer damage, regardless of the pain, but I see no reason to lose chunks of hearing in leaps rather than baby steps.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tbear
Many of us have hearing problems, especially as we age, due to gun shot noise. I served in a tank unit when in the military in the 60's & at that time little was done to protect hearing. I have shot a lot at the range, hunting, & as an instructor. I always used hearing protection on the range, but the damage has been done. When I set in the woods I hear a symphony.
You're not alone.....most days I hear the "symphony" too. I was in the artillery and when I think back on all the stuff we were shooting, its amazing that I can hear anything at all....105's, 155's, 8"er's, 175 guns....not exactly quiet stuff.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy quieter shooting rifles, even with good ear protection. Another advantage is less noise causes less concern among the neighboring landowners, and is also more pleasant for anyone else who may be with me when I am varmint hunting.

My two favorites are the .221 Fireball and the .250 Savage with lighter loads using the 75 gr VMax bullets. Very pleasant shooters.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a ported 44 magnum Marlin, one shot in the woods and it was gone.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is time to have silencers taken off of NFA. It's a safety issue.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BarryC ++1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree, but it will never happen, gun control advocates and their useful fools the media would kill the idea stone dead if it were even considered.

I want to get a stainless steel 30-30 with a 20 inch barrel for a number of reasons. The Marlin is a wonderful rifle but their is no reason why a little 30-30 has to be as heavy as a boat anchor.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Here are some other cartridges that would serve the purpose.

7-30 Waters
35 remington
6.5 grendel
6.5mm benchrest magnum
44 magnum
25x39

http://www.eabco.com/65BRM.html

A single shot 24 inch barrel with the above 6.5's would suffice for the plains.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 3030 idea is appealing as the rifle is cheap, the cartriges are cheap and available everywhere, kills deer fine, its accurate enough, report and recoil are mild, its a perfect deer cartridge.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My 6-250 is pretty useful... all the utility of a 243 Win crossed w/ a 22-250 Rem w/out the blast.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by BarryC
It is time to have silencers taken off of NFA. It's a safety issue.

Ha ha ha... your post assumes the people who make the laws... like the ones who thought banning 50 BMG rifles was SO important... know which end of the peice the projectile comes out of...

But don't get me wrong; I agree COMPLETELY!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I handled a Krag rifle at a gunshow today that had the
barrel cut to about 16.5" and the stock was shortened
to fit a small person or a child. I was thinking how cool
it looked, but Im sure the recoil and blast would be nerve
racking.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
.250Savage at factory pressures are very mild of report.

Jim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are hunting in a close range area, I would think a Marlin Cowboy .45-70 with soft cast 400 gr. WFN or HPs at about 1,000 out it's 26-in. bbl would be mild of report and deadly effective.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.