Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ok, I have been trying a Lee zip trim and while it's slow it seems to do well if I do my part ( like making sure the case head is installed all the way in the holder,also have had a couple of cases that were less than the trim to length even though I didn't think it was possible with this setup. Overall its probably faster than the RCBs rotary trimmer I've tried.

Last edited by m1rifleman; 01/01/11.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"a trim die relies on literal outside forces,to curtail length. Such things will skew concentricity and neck tension,as well as mar projectiles."

Say,... WHAT? I mean, "Lateral outside forces"... "to curtail length" ... "concentricity/tension ... 'mar projectiles" ... Huh? No offense intended but I have no idea of what you said means in any sort of practical application.

"A rotary trimmer does not on the average,"

"Does not on average," ... does not what?

"In fairness,the worst rotary,easily trumps the best trim die."

In what way?

I only have a few trim dies but they do exactly what they are supposed to do and do it quite well.

Last edited by boomtube; 01/01/11.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
All things being equal(which they ain't) a trim die relies on literal outside forces,to curtail length. Such things will skew concentricity and neck tension,as well as mar projectiles.

A rotary trimmer does not on the average,though they are not all equals. In fairness,the worst rotary,easily trumps the best trim die.

Do you have any idea of what a trim die is?

If you're talking speed of trimming a bunch of cases then a rotary trimmer easily trumps a trim die for routine trimming but it doesn't trump a trim die in any other respect.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get one of those possom hollow devices. http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/kwick-case-trimmers.html
Put it in your drill, tape the trigger down and get after it. Trim dies IME are not time efficient.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by boomtube
"a trim die relies on literal outside forces,to curtail length. Such things will skew concentricity and neck tension,as well as mar projectiles."

Say,... WHAT? I mean, "Lateral outside forces"... "to curtail length" ... "concentricity/tension ... 'mar projectiles" ... Huh? No offense intended but I have no idea of what you said means in any sort of practical application.

"A rotary trimmer does not on the average,"

"Does not on average," ... does not what?

"In fairness,the worst rotary,easily trumps the best trim die."

In what way?

I only have a few trim dies but they do exactly what they are supposed to do and do it quite well.

You gals need to read slower and shoot more,though I'm digging your accidental humor................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Happiness is in a big pile of guts"

Not if they are in your skivies from a hernia. wink

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I have been reloading since 1964. I have tried and used several rotary trimming tools and hated all of them. They were slow and actually became painful to use when trimming large quantities of rifle brass.

Nowadays I own trim dies in all of the rifle calibers I load. I like them because they function as an instant case length gauge while also ensuring that the case has been properly sized.

Anything that protrudes above the top of the trim die gets a couple swipes with a file, and trimming is done. There is no need to separately measure cases, setup a trimmer, clamp the cases in the shellholder and operate the trimmer.

The trim length is automatically uniform and correct for every caliber with no need to use a caliper to measure case length or set up a trimmer. There are no negative accuracy issues in my experience.

I find the trim dies to be MUCH faster and handier than any other trimmer (or any other method for measuring case length, for that matter) I have either tried or seen, and they are foolproof to use.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/04/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I have been reloading since 1964. I have tried and used several rotary trimming tools and hated all of them. They were slow and actually became painful to use when trimming large quantities of rifle brass.

Nowadays I own trim dies in all of the rifle calibers I load. I like them because they function as an instant case length gauge while also ensuring that the case has been properly sized.

Anything that protrudes above the top of the trim die gets a couple swipes with a file, and trimming is done. There is no need to separately measure cases, setup a trimmer, clamp the cases in the shellholder and operate the trimmer.

The trim length is automatically uniform and correct for every caliber with no need to use a caliper to measure case length or set up a trimmer. There are no negative accuracy issues in my experience.

I find the trim dies to be MUCH faster and handier than any other trimmer (or any other method for measuring case length, for that matter) I have either tried or seen, and they are foolproof to use.

We have been loading for almost the exact same time, so you are not alone. The Lee Trimmer has the answer to all the problems you list, and is fast and easy to use. I've been so impressed with it, that when it came time to get a trimmer for my 6BR and discovered Lee did not make one, I made my own using a .243 WSSM Lee trimmer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Trim tools of any type are just tools. Each can do the job, each is slightly superior (easier to use) for different ways of working. As tools, we can do it all with any one or we can own and use them all as we wish.

I have two hand lathes, several trim dies and several Lee trim tools. I find nothing massively different in the final effect from any of them.

Last edited by boomtube; 01/06/11.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
if you are going to shoot and load a varity of cases in diff. cal. get an rcbs power trimer and 3-way cutter head set up and you will never regret it

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll gun some pics tomorrow,if only to spur the oblivious in continuing their cluelessness...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.