Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm going to build an F/TR rifle, in 308, on a Rem 700 S/A with the usual accountrements: Krieger (or Bartlein), Jewell, Nightforce, etc. What stock pattern(s) should I be looking I'll be using the Sinclair bipod and an appropriate rear bag.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well what ever catches your eye and feels good to ya. Who wants to shoot an ugly uncomfortable gun if they can pick out every thing it took to build it ya know. From that list you gave (F/TR) I am guessing you are building a bench gun of some sort. I plan on having one done in the spring and it will have a custom stock with a mural on it along with Hart Barrel, Custom Action, Blue Printed, trued ect.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
From that list you gave (F/TR) I am guessing you are building a bench gun of some sort.

F-TR rifles aren't "bench guns". wink

Right now my match rifle has a McMillan A-3 stock, looking at building a new rifle this winter using one of these... Master Class Stock

Overall weight of rifle with bipod installed is a key issue. wink

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
What type of shooting do you prefer? As you have bought a Sinclair f class bipod I will assume that you like the ski pod design (remple/censhot/bigfoot) which allows the rifle to slide back and forth easily.

Are you closer to free recoiler then a firm anchored grip?

If you want the tracking to be straight back under a slight free recoiling system you will need to look at stock designs that have gradual inclines of the rear butt section not unlike a bench rest stock that allows the rifle to track with little change in elevation which becomes more critical for long range shooters. The traditional target stock have a high degree of cant like the Robertson composite H&H while others have a butt hook or flat bottom like Robertson tactical or the McMillian A3/A5. Charles Ballard the open class winner 2 years ago has come out with a lowrider stock that has the flatter bottom which may appeal to you. Other features are adjustability cheek piece an adjustable butt plates. These 2 features can be put on almost any rifle stock.
Fit and feel is important if you�re constantly fidgeting with your position to fit the stock you will be guaranteed to drop points.

Trevor

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There some F class guns that will make benchguns pay attention
Seen these T/TR guns shoot 5 at 300y under .6" many times and will shoot with many at 100 hunterclass targets.
Blue gun has a Robertson H&H stock
[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Put a Hunter class stock and a 6X scope on that rig and give a report.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by manitou210
There some F class guns that will make benchguns pay attention
Seen these T/TR guns shoot 5 at 300y under .6" many times and will shoot with many at 100 hunterclass targets.
Blue gun has a Robertson H&H stock
[Linked Image]
That's pretty impressive numbers,nice shooting

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FTR your stuck with a bag or bipod so I would probably go with a verticle grip with a butt hook and use a bipod. If I can use a rest I want a stock with taper on the bottom so I can slide my rear bag for elevation adjustments. If I am shooting from a bipod I want a heavy soft rear bag that I can squeeze for elevation control. A heavy bag can ride in the butt hook and take a little bit of the recoil if your gun is a little front heavy. With a heavy varmint contour barrel in a robertson's composit tactical stock with a mark 4 leupold and a bipod you will be close on weight limitations.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Stocky's has a nice A-5 clone in laminate. It is called the Bobby Hart long range target tactical. I put it along side my friends McMillan A-5 and it was darn near identical. I really like the way it feels and shoots.

It is now offered with an aluminum bedding block system. Mine was just inletted and required bedding. The gloss finish was nicely done. I couldn't find the version without the bedding block but it might still exist. Make a phone call, they could tell you if it is still offered. I paid $199. The bedding block version is an additional $100.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-537/*NEW%21*-Bobby-Hart-AccuBlock/Detail

Here is a SA Rem in that stock. Hard to see but the floorplate is there. Currently a 30 BR. About to make it a switchbarrel. The new barrel will be chambered for 6mm-284.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,735
Posts18,457,589
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.