Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
JW,

I'd sure like to hear what you find.

Obviously, we are in the early stages of this investigation. It's entirely possible that the change has been made only on certain Interlocks, for whatever reason.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I believe that the 30 caliber 180gr interlocks have an interlock ring in front of and behind the cannelure. I remember a number of years ago when their appearance changed: at least ten years.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hmm. I've sectioned a lot of Interlocks, and never seen one with a ring in front of the cannelure.

As for changes in appearance, they happen all the time with Interlocks, probably when the forming dies wear out. I've been told by another bullet company that their forming dies wear out within about 40,000 bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"Actually thought we would cut some bullets in half to see if the interlock was in the same place"

Magnum Man

I guess that's for me ? Iwas curious as to the method YOU use to "Cut them in Half",...that's all,....

I'd be GLAD to do that,....I've got a "Never Sweat" way of getting good (LAB GRADE) results.

Made a BUNCH , once,....for a "Hunter Training" program, then just did it for laughs.

GTC

Well yeah, would be more than glad to hear your method. I thought I would drill a 30 cal hole in a block of wood press in the bullets and put them in a vise and saw thru them.

JWall I have the older 180 Interlocks and the 165 BTSP Interlocks for comparison lets measure from the bottom up to the top of the interlock.

5sdad, Never been ashamed of any pushfeed M70 I own a pre XTR 25-06, a USRA m70 Featherweight 6.5x55, a Win M70 300 Win Mag, and a Win M70 XTR 338 Win mag they all shoot well and are dead reliable. Don't have any crf M70's and don't know why I'd trade any of mine for a crf variety.

Wpah there is a ring above the canelure on the 180 Interlock that is visible from the outside but it is not the interlock that is on the inside.

Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 01/03/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sent this on to another fellow last night,......

"I've got a Milling machine,......and have been REAL successful "potting" slugs in "Cerro-Safe" in a Box mold (wood works fine at cerro temps),...then freezing the set up, and milling it with a SHARP high positive tool. Once cut,.....the whole thing comes unglued with nothing more complicated then boiling water.

For "Shelf Display",.....Hunter Training course samples and such,...substitute left over acra-glas. If the "Boxes" are done out of select wood,.....you get REAL pretty show-grade stuff.

I had a Corbin C-H1 Bullet swadging set up for a while,....sold the thing off, as it looked like something that could take over one's life,.....and most of his $$, too."

The main thing about the method above is keeping things COOL,....

.....Straight Copper has, in it's own right, some strange machining characteristics , Gilding medal some more...throw lead into the equation and the sawing & filing thing can get a little frustrating.

The machining stunts above yield REALLY nice samples, ....and I'd be more then willing to volly up for that detail, should you or anyone else here so require.

Cheers, GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have never recovered a Hornady that seperated the jacket/core. My sample is small, maybe 10 bullets. I shoot Hornady's in quite a few calibers. My most recent recovery was a 180BTSP from a WT and another of the same from a large framed black bear. Both bullets looked good and no seperation. I hope the change is minimal at worst.

Joseph

Joseph
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have some new 180g SP interlocks as well. I shoot red deer at quite close ranges as a rule, from 5 to 12 metres, I can let you know how they go.

Regarding BTSP versus SP - my experience backs up an earlier poster. At close range like this, the BTSP bullets (in any caliber) come apart every time.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
During the discussion of Hornady Interlock performance a little while ago here, a Campfire member (who didn't post on the thread because it turned into a typical Campfire name-calling contest) PM'd me and said he'd had a 180-grain .30 caliber separate jacket and core on a 200-yard broadside rib shot on a cow elk. The cartridge was the .300 Winchester Magnum, and the terminal velocity at 200 yards would have been about 2650 fps.

He sent me the jacket, and it's one of the new bullets with the Interlock ring much higher in the shank of the jacket, not far below the cannelure. The jacket opened back past the ring, and the core popped free. In fact, the Interlock ring is now on the outside of the jacket, where the jacket turned inside out.

In the past the Interlock ring was maybe 1/4" above the base of the jacket. I have a few Interlock Spire Points in my recovered bullet collection, and with only one exception they all opened up to the Interlock ring and no further. (The exception was a 130 from a .270 that hit the spine at the base of the neck on a big pronghorn buck, as it faced my wife at 130 yards. We found the mangled jacket and what was left of the core under the skin at the back of the neck, which might be expected on such a close-range shot from a high-velocity cartridge. The buck went straight down.)

He also sent along a couple of bullets pulled from his handloads, so I can do a little "media" penetration testing. But right now it does look as if the changed location of the Interlock ring is indeed affecting terminal performance.

John,do you know if the bullet killed the Elk?????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
During the discussion of Hornady Interlock performance a little while ago here, a Campfire member (who didn't post on the thread because it turned into a typical Campfire name-calling contest) PM'd me and said he'd had a 180-grain .30 caliber separate jacket and core on a 200-yard broadside rib shot on a cow elk. The cartridge was the .300 Winchester Magnum, and the terminal velocity at 200 yards would have been about 2650 fps.

He sent me the jacket, and it's one of the new bullets with the Interlock ring much higher in the shank of the jacket, not far below the cannelure. The jacket opened back past the ring, and the core popped free. In fact, the Interlock ring is now on the outside of the jacket, where the jacket turned inside out.

In the past the Interlock ring was maybe 1/4" above the base of the jacket. I have a few Interlock Spire Points in my recovered bullet collection, and with only one exception they all opened up to the Interlock ring and no further. (The exception was a 130 from a .270 that hit the spine at the base of the neck on a big pronghorn buck, as it faced my wife at 130 yards. We found the mangled jacket and what was left of the core under the skin at the back of the neck, which might be expected on such a close-range shot from a high-velocity cartridge. The buck went straight down.)

He also sent along a couple of bullets pulled from his handloads, so I can do a little "media" penetration testing. But right now it does look as if the changed location of the Interlock ring is indeed affecting terminal performance.

No the Elk was not killed, but he did bring the jacket to the hunter for inspection

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Huntz

No the Elk was not killed, but he did bring the jacket to the hunter for inspection

I wanted to know if that bullet killed that Elk or did it need a finishing shot.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

M
M
The elk is obviously dead.........hense him retrieving the bullet. The problem with this whole sinerio is that if things don't go quite right.....you don't hit him with the proverbial perfect shot.........or you have to do the politically incorrect Texas heart shot; what happens? If you have 120-180grs of lead and copper,traveling at 2700fps, it's going to plow through some meat; weather it does it in bits, or in one piece, it's still going to do it. The problem arises when it doesn't do enough of it.
If I've been killing animals by plunking a bullet through the ribcage for years, that doesn't mean that the bullet is going to do what I want when it meets the shoulder of a bull elk; that bullet it probably going to react quite differently than the bullet that has met little, or no resistance.
When I pick a bullet, I want to plan for the worst case scinerio, then, if things don't happen as planned, my suprise is pleasent; not unpleasent. for many years, I nievly thought that the Hornady Interlock was able to accomlish this for me; and for the most part, I was probably right. I recommended the Interlock to friends without hesitation. not only can I no longer do that, but I find myself having to look at an alternative.........at an inflated cost I might add.
Did Hornady mean to do this, I don't know. has it happened; yes. If you wish to, look at the other post to see the pictures. I'm not trying to change other peoples minds, but I'm trying to warn that things have changed. I've sent a package off to Hornady with no response; I thought that they where better than that. I had brand loyalty........that is in the past. I trust my own judgement now, and if others want to see, or hear about my results,they have been duly posted.
Mike

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mikeshickele
.....you don't hit him with the proverbial perfect shot.........or you have to do the politically incorrect Texas heart shot; what happens?
Mike

May I be so bold to ask: Why would one ever have to take a "Texas heart shot" at an unwounded animal? Must one take less than "the proverbial perfect shot"? If there's any question, wait for a better shot unless you or your family is starving. Patience is virtue....espically when hunting.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
M
When I mention the texas heart shot, it's under the assumption that others would know that it's only taken when another shot has failed, and your dealing with a wounded animal.
Mike

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mikeshickele
The elk is obviously dead.........hense him retrieving the bullet. The problem with this whole sinerio is that if things don't go quite right.....you don't hit him with the proverbial perfect shot.........or you have to do the politically incorrect Texas heart shot; what happens? If you have 120-180grs of lead and copper,traveling at 2700fps, it's going to plow through some meat; weather it does it in bits, or in one piece, it's still going to do it. The problem arises when it doesn't do enough of it.
If I've been killing animals by plunking a bullet through the ribcage for years, that doesn't mean that the bullet is going to do what I want when it meets the shoulder of a bull elk; that bullet it probably going to react quite differently than the bullet that has met little, or no resistance.
When I pick a bullet, I want to plan for the worst case scinerio, then, if things don't happen as planned, my suprise is pleasent; not unpleasent. for many years, I nievly thought that the Hornady Interlock was able to accomlish this for me; and for the most part, I was probably right. I recommended the Interlock to friends without hesitation. not only can I no longer do that, but I find myself having to look at an alternative.........at an inflated cost I might add.
Did Hornady mean to do this, I don't know. has it happened; yes. If you wish to, look at the other post to see the pictures. I'm not trying to change other peoples minds, but I'm trying to warn that things have changed. I've sent a package off to Hornady with no response; I thought that they where better than that. I had brand loyalty........that is in the past. I trust my own judgement now, and if others want to see, or hear about my results,they have been duly posted.
Mike

The difference is that if the animal was killed by that bullet,whats the bitch?????if it was not then we need to investigate further.People who cry about a bullets performance if it kills the animal have OCD!!!!!!!! grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, the elk was killed.

The problem is that Hornady Interlocks have long been known as the "poor man's premium," because they almost never separated core and jacket. On a broadside rib shot on a deer a 180 .30 would just about always exit, and exit most of the time even on elk. Additionally, because they held together so well, Interlocks could be relied on to break considerable bone and still penetrate pretty deeply, unlike some cup-and-core bullets.

In fact, some hunters claim Interlocks compare to Nosler Partitions in penetration, given the same weight and diameter of bullet. My experience doesn't quite agree with that, but I have seen a lot of Interlocks perform very well on game larger than deer. Part of the reason was that they held together pretty darn well, retaining anywhere from 50-70% of their weight.

In the instance here the bullet did not even stay together on a broadside rib shot on a cow elk. Yes, it killed the elk, but on any sort of angling and/or bone shot, it might not have penetrated sufficiently. That is a long way from "poor man's premium" performance.

There have been other reports along those lines about recent Interlock performance, and it turns out that the Interlock ring has indeed been moved forward, at least in recent 180-grain .30 Spire Points.

The reason the bullet in question came apart is that the jacket peeled back to the point where the Interlock didn't retain the core. If the Interlock ring were still in the same place it used to be on the same bullets, 1/10th of an inch further down inside the jacket, the core wouldn't have left the jacket, because the jacket didn't peel back that far.

If you don't see the problem with that, then you don't understand why so many people have relied on the Hornady Interlock for so long, choosing the Interlock above many other cup-and-core bullets because it could be relied on to penetrate big game.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In the instance here the bullet did not even stay together on a broadside rib shot on a cow elk. Yes, it killed the elk, but on any sort of angling and/or bone shot, it might not have penetrated sufficiently. That is a long way from "poor man's premium" performance.

Exactly..Broadside shots are not always the norm if you want to eat Elk through the winter..

I have know idea why the manufacturers choose to change what is not broke.An earlier example I posted on the old Unicore versus the new Deep Curl showed the same penetration but more loss of bullet weight and less frontal area than the old Unicore...

Just because a bullet kills this time doesn;t mean it will next time on a different angle.

Jayco

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Has anyone seen a change in packaging on the new Interlocks? I was thinking if I could find some of the originals, I would stock up on some of my favorites.

Thanks all,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
trouthunterdj,

Well they have changed the packaging fairly recently (2009?). The packaging on the interlocks I purchased in 2006 have a different look than the ones purchased in 2009 & 2010. Obviously, that doesn't tell you when a change in the bullet was introduced. With how recent these reports of bullet changes are it sounds as if anything in the older style packaging is likely to have the interlock ring further back like it was traditionally.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We found a box of ID ring interlocks (with the lower interlock ring) in a lot number in between two newer ones... if lot numbers are actually sequential. Only Steve and his staff know.

ie/ 207xxx were newer design, 208xxx were ID rings, 209xxx were newer design or something like that. I don't recall the exact numbers now but you get the picture.

Last edited by Aletheuo; 01/06/11. Reason: clarity
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess thats why I like the Winchester Power Point.On big game moose bear ect I've always had WAY better performance from the Win bullet over the Interlock.Though I do have respect for the 30 cal 190gr BTSP Interlock thats it.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.