Print Thread
Hop To
B
boatboy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
maybe someone can help me with whats the difference between a standard Blackhawk and Flat top Ruger single action?

Ruger made a special run is commerative "flat top" 44s I dont have a BH in 44mag and I am thinking about buying one of these.

Any thoughts?

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Ruger 44 spl Flattop. I like it very much. The frame is flat at the top, it doesn't have the hump up to the rear sight like regular blackhawks. It is like the original blackhawks from the 50's. Smaller frame than the super blackhawk. I believe it is the same size as the 357 frame. A lot of performance in a small package.

My first single action, very easy to shoot well. I'm impressed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatboy
Ruger made a special run of commemorative "flat top" 44s, I dont have a BH in 44mag and I am thinking about buying one of these.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, get one. You'll be glad ya' did.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The obvious difference as mentioned is the lack of protective ears for the rear sight.

The Anniversary .44 Magnum Flat Top shares the standard Blackhawk cylinder frame with the New Model Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk. All Ruger Blackhawk single actions made since 1972* have this larger frame. The anniversary model only comes in 6 1/2" barrel length while the regular SBH comes in 4 5/8", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" lengths.

The .357 Anniversary model and the new .44 Special Flat Tops have the "midsize" cylinder frame that Ruger used to make on the Old Model or what's called the 3 screw model up until 1972.

The Flat Tops have the old XR3 grip frame which is very similar to a Colt SAA. The New Model Blackhawks have a larger XR3-RED (for Redesigned) grip frame, it moves the hand a smidge rearward and is a bit larger in circumference.

One thing to be aware of with that XR3 frame is why they ever redesigned it. Under .44 Magnum recoil and even stiff .44 Special recoil the trigger guard can rap the knuckle of your middle finger pretty hard. But that all depends on how your fingers are built and how you tend to grip it. If at all possible you might try to shoot a Dragoon style SBH (square back trigger guard) to see if you like that one.

As far as any other differences the Flat Top .44 Mag and the Super Blackhawk .44 are both super strong, good revolvers, you really wouldn't go wrong with either.

* someone check my date on this. Pretty sure the switch came in 1972 but it could have been '73.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by boatboy
maybe someone can help me with whats the difference between a standard Blackhawk and Flat top Ruger single action?

Ruger made a special run is commerative "flat top" 44s I dont have a BH in 44mag and I am thinking about buying one of these.

Any thoughts?

Hank
I think Jim especially, summed up the differences well. I've owned two of the guns of which you speak. Technically, they are the 50th Anniversary Commemorative Blackhawk .44 Magnum. If you like more traditional (read COLT) looks to your single actions, you will like them. If you have smallish hands, you will love the way they shoot compared to the Super Blackhawk. They are a fine gun.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,260
Posts18,448,161
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.