24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about disability, but I'm wondering if my health insurance will cover the cost of a new rifle if Dr. Howell prescribed it.

No? Oh well, it was worth a try. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10ntario Jim: Not much help with military intelligence,lol.

My best advice is: DON'T TRY THEIR TECHNIQUE with a rifle that

has MUCH RECOIL at all. I suspect dislocated shoulders, broken collar bones etc. I give you credit for that much common sense.

JWALL
--------------

Son I Don't Know You Well Enough To Miss You.........Johnny Cadh

Last edited by JWALL; 01/06/11.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i was describing to someone just the other day about how it's not the rifle stock snapping back into my shoulder that bothers me, it's that feeling of someone slapping you in the back of the head repeatedly that i didn't like about big rifles.

that makes sense, seeing this, that i was describing this very thing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I'll be darn. I had no idea so many of us suffered from recoil headache. Also I had no clue it could be serious. All I knew was that I was and am becoming less and less recoil tolerant. I sold a very fine 30/338 because if I shot it more than a couple times I'd get a headache and feel lousy for the rest of the day. I've just finished putting together a 7x57, it shoots good and feels well balanced. I'm thinking it might see a lot of service.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can see it now, the new Campfire Battery;
.223 AI
6.5x55
.22 Hornet

As to recoil, I suffered a PVD(posterior vitreous detachment) about 7 months ago. That is were we get vision ," floaters" as we age. The fluid in our eyes develops a ,"skin" , on the interior surface of our eyes. A PVD is caused by the skin pulling away from the surface of the eye.

I was unlucky, mine stuck dead center of my retina. OK at bedtime, legally blind in my left eye when I woke up the next morning. After several months it finally pulled free, tearing my retina in several places.

After a few laser surgeries to seal the holes my doc said I could resume normal activities, ya right! it was my dominate eye.

He did tell me no more heavy recoil shooting. My doc also told me not to shoot any heavy recoiling hand guns either.

He said that the recoil can create an impact all the way up the arms, shoulders and neck causing shock to the retina.

When I asked how much he said lay off the .44mag and the 300gr. long Colts for at least a year.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A PVD is caused by the skin pulling away from the surface of the eye.

ersatz = Those stupid and ignorant rubber combs on T/C buttstocks.

mad

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been working on being a curmudgeon for years and credited it to age and effort. Now, you tell me it's caused by shooting. All that effort for nothing. frown

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
doubletap,

Just think of recoil effects as helping you toward your goal. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think a deceased Uncle of mine likely had a rule that applies to shooting. He was known for a huge family of sons and daughters. He also took a lot of razzing about it in his 50's, and with a young wife on into his late sixties.

When razzed about it his standard reply became."In my youth I used to do it all night long, now in my sixties it take takes all night to do it. But you know, it's just as much fun as it ever was!"

I THINK THAT MIGHT BE WHAT KILLED HIM. wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.