I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
the scope

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 10 year-old has killed kudu, zebra, black wildebeest, nyala, black bear, and dozens of deer, hogs, and smaller plains game with his .260 and Federal's 120-grain Barnes TSX load. My daughter also killed a kudu with one shot from the same gun. I Like the .260 because it has just a hair more recoil than a .243 but kills and penetrates so well. All his big animals were one-shot kills, and we got exit wounds with most of them. Several of my clients have gone to the .260 for their kids as well and have similar success with them in Africa. Because it has such mild recoil, you can also build them a gun that's light enough for them to carry comfortably that won't beat them up.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The only potential fly in the .308 ointment is that it might not be legal in the African country they'll be hunting (military round restrictions). If that's not an issue, then don't fret it.

Agreed on forget the magnums.

It is, however, rather amazing that hunters before our time, and older hunters, and women, and locals, tend to kill the absolute Hell out of critters with no difficulty using "marginal" cartridges...

That's not an issue in any African country I know of.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Ok I am not calling anyone out because I know I am a hypocrite when it comes to these types of recommendations. grin I too have advised folks that they are better off with their deer rifle than buying a new magnum rifle before their first elk hunt but who here actually hunts elk with a 7-08 or .270?

I carry my .338 and will use it again next fall in WY and when I hunt caribou in AK just like I did this year in BC hunting moose. Granted these areas are grizz areas and I felt better with the .338 in tow than with my .270. When my daughter I and go to Africa for plains game I will be bringing the .338 as well.

So fess up do you practice what you preach?

I've used a .270 to take several bull elk. All were one-shot kills, including one at 396 yards. I've also used a .260 once with similar results. That said, I prefer a .300 with good 180s for elk. However, I've trained lots of youth and lady shooters. They are often very recoil sensitive and weigh a heck of a lot less than we do. If she shoots a smaller cartridge well, stoke it with good bullets and turn her loose.

I've seen lots of animals lost that were shot poorly with big guns, but I can't recall seeing a heart-shot animal lost no matter what it was shot with.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Let her continue to hunt with what she is comfortable using.

Spend the $$ you would spend on a rifle, on some steel plates that will keep her enthused with practicing from field positions. Kids and adults alike love to hear steel ring. It is a great motivator. Find a female friend she can shoot with too. Keep it fun for her.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

S
S
I have no doubt the .270 with a deep-penetration bullet will kill any Elk in NA with a proper shot. I feel the short action bullets have merit in ballistics, and rifle characteristics so if you're getting something new I'd say the .270 WSM, 7mm WSM (since you reload) or the 300 WSM all excellent choices in that order.
One merit the .270 has; easy to find ammo and it's usually relatively cheap, why spend extra dollars unnecessarily?

For Africa - I've got no idea why you'd want to go there anything they have in Africa you can legally shoot I'm pretty sure we've got in Texas.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I killed my elk with my 270/150gr. Partitions. 'Nuff said.

My son in law, who has a beautiful .270, just got the hots for one of the Super Whomper .30 caliber short magnum cartridges.

No way he was going to listen to anything but his "extensive research".(he is a teacher) Yup, yup! Just t'other day he was telling me he "missed" 2 coyotes at no more than 200 yds, and a mule deer at~400. (He and his buddies all have those little rangefinder thingies, and think they are some sort of laser-eyed supermen.) I admire my son-in-law, who is a quadraplegic, and hunts from his wheelchair, or off a 4 wheeler, but he is no way a marksman! Wasn't before his accident, either,but his condition makes him more susceptible to heavier recoil, IMO.

Shots he could make easily with his 270, he misses with his monster masher! He, and most anyone else who shoots the larger calibers, IMO, is overgunned! The resulting flinch is causing his misses.

Your daughter will probably be the same...we shoot best what kicks us least...and, as the majority of people have said, if she is comfortable shooting the .270, it will probably do all she may ask of it.
If it doesn't have a good recoil pad, put one on, or better yet, replace the existing one, because they do harden with age.

I haven't tried the lower-velocity rounds, but they wouldn't make them, if there wasn't a market! How many times have you heard lately of a business doing something "just because it's a nice thing to do"?

Anyway, good luck to you and your daughter.

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.