Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FC363
Maybe they can get Rich Rod! laugh

Who would be the choice of those "football savvy" folks that get a nut talking ignorant schit about coaches?

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure that anyone could fill their lofty expectations for more than a couple years.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure that anyone could fill their lofty expectations for more than a couple years.

I'm certain of that. Even then, if the new guy won, a good percentage would claim: "he did it with Miles' players".

War Damn Eagle!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Y'all keep building a case against Leslie. Get him fired. Serves him right for not winning National Championships more frequently. But I'm telling you everybody in Alabama will be tickled to death. And I hear Tommy Bowden may be available if the price is right. grin.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a scanned copy of Les Miles contract that was last updated and signed in 2009. Look at how little the actual university pays him - $300,000 with the rest coming from his TV/Radio deal and for other functions all related to and coming out of the pocket of the TAF (Tiger Athletic Foundation). He who pays the cost is the boss. Which also means that for all practical purposes the AD can't hire a new coach without TAF approval because the TAF and the University works out a separate contract so that the University can guarantee the money that the TAF will pay. With no TAF support, no money and no coach. I've said it before, you only have to upset a very select few people (at LSU it's around 4-6 members of the TAF) and your days are numbered. I'm guessing that it's this way at most Universities where the backer program carries the load money wise.

Les Miles Contract

If he leaves for Michigan as specifically called out in his contract (bottom of page 11 specifically states he shall not seek nor accept a job at University of Michigan) to get out of his contract he owes $1.25 million which would be a drop in the bucket.

The AD at LSU released today that he had not been contacted as of yet by Michigan for permission to speak with Miles. I wonder if someone got their shorts in a wad after the last episode of trying to get Miles.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/08/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Now that the Saints lost the playoff game....I guess they'll be some here kicking at Sean Peytons' ass as well!! All I can say to that is:

TAKE A HIKE!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 01/08/11.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Tech is seldom in the top 20 in recruiting. If you think we don't take the leftovers (with a few exceptions as I already said), after UT, OU LSU, and every other big time school picks over TX high school talent you're kidding yourself. Leach never won a championship, ever, and never beat Texas. To his credit, he won lots of games with overall average talent at best. I'll give him credit for installing a system that not many folks had seen around here and winning with it. We've been full of 2-3 star recruits as long as I can remember. Very few of his players make it in the NFL, very few. You got one thing right, though. Leach is a POS as a human being, a terrible ambassador for your football program, and a drunk. I'm glad he's gone, and whatever unfortunate soul lands him will find out first hand he's not worth the trouble.

Isaac, your right, TTU in for a tough few years if these recruiting issues stand up.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
.... Leach never won a championship, ever, and never beat Texas.

TT beat Texas while Leach was coach at least twice, they beat them when Kliff was the quarterback back about 2003. They also beat them on Crabtrees last second TD two years ago. I thought they beat them another time but I'm not positive. Those are just the two that stand out

You got one thing right, though. Leach is a POS as a human being, a terrible ambassador for your football program, and a drunk.

I know a lot of people that feel this way, his personality can rub people the wrong way. My sister was the sports anchor and then the news anchor for Fox 34 news in Lubbock from about 2000-2007 and I got to know Coach Leach and his staff pretty well. He always treated my sister, myself and my family with nothing but respect. I haven't talked with him since October 30, 2006 when he called to give my sisters and I condolonces on the sudden loss of our father. I will be a fan of whatever program hires him.

Drum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great talent makes average coaches look like a genius. Miles is the poster child for this.

No, that would be Mike Leach.

Really? What great talent did he have besides Crabtree? Back that statement up please. Don't just not respond like you missed this, please enlighten us

Drum

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's see. Despite having an inconsistent quarterback at the beginning of the season, LSU lost only two games this year - by 7 points to Auburn, surely no disgrace there - and by 8 points to Arkansas.

By the end of the season, the inconsistent quarterback was looking pretty good and LSU won the Cotton Bowl handily.

How anybody can call for a new coach after a season like that is ridiculous.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Great talent makes average coaches look like a genius. Miles is the poster child for this.

Really? What great talent did he have besides Crabtree? Back that statement up please. Don't just not respond like you missed this, please enlighten us

Drum

I thought i was pretty clear about this, but apparently some need clarification, so here goes.

Mike Leach was HC at TTU for quite a while before they really had any success. News flash: he had about the same average talent as everyone else. It's only when a team gets real standout players that they separate themselves, such as when TTU had Harrell/Crabtree.

Before they showed up, TTU was just another team in the Big 12, AFTER, they were winning lots of games, putting up 50+ points per game, highly ranked, fighting for the Big 12 Championship, and on the Heisman ballot. At that time Leach was one of the hottest prospects for every high profile HC job that would be available.

After those players left, it was back to business as usual. 7 or 8 wins.

Now, is their anything that needs further explanation?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Report: Michigan and LSU coach Les Miles to meet soon

Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News

Will Les Miles finally coach his alma mater?

ESPN.com reported Saturday night that Michigan has expressed interest in talking to Miles, currently the coach at LSU, and a meeting is expected soon, the website reported, citing sources.

A source told the website that Miles would give LSU 24 hours notification before the interview. That had not yet occurred.

Miles, a former Michigan player and assistant coach, is thought to be the leading candidate for Michigan's head coaching job. Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon fired Rich Rodriguez, who was 15-22 in three seasons, last Wednesday and said he would act swiftly to conduct a national search.

Brandon declined an interview request with The News on Saturday night.

Miles led LSU to the 2007 national championship and is coming off a decisive victory over Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl on Friday night.

Earlier on Saturday, LSU athletic director Joe Alleva issued a statement regarding Miles.

"I have not been contacted by anyone from the University of Michigan about Les Miles," Alleva said in the release. "Les Miles is LSU's head coach and we are going to do everything we can to keep it that way. He has had great success here and we plan to keep enjoying that success under his leadership."

Former Michigan quarterback Jim Harbaugh, most recently the head coach at Stanford, became the San Francisco 49ers coach on Friday.

"I had some options at the college level and pro teams, and two that I'd like to highlight, Stanford and Michigan, both of them I consider my universities and they have great leaders at both schools and will have great coaches," Harbaugh said during his news conference. "I felt like it was what I wanted to do at this time, was coach in the National Football League."

San Diego State coach Brady Hoke, formerly an assistant at Michigan, is thought to be a candidate.

Hoke's agent, Trace Armstrong, told the San Diego Union-Tribune Friday that he couldn't discuss Hoke's potential candidacy to become the new Michigan coach.

"I really can't say," Armstrong told the paper. "I wish I could tell you more, but that's really where it stands."

Armstrong said Michigan has kept the search process quiet.

"They've done a really good job of keeping it quiet," Armstrong told the Union-Tribune. "Dave Brandon is running the search, and I think he's keeping his own counsel on that. I wish I could help you more, but I can't."

Armstrong also told the paper that Hoke has been "very straightforward" with San Diego State about what's happening regarding potential job opportunities. He did say Hoke is not a candidate for the vacancy at Pittsburgh.

angelique.chengelisdetnews.com

Det News Article

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Michigan is going to have to pony up the money. I realise Miles is a Michigan man but Michigan is in the same boat LSU was in when it hired Saban. They had to pony up the money because at the time they weren't the big national draw, I don't think Michigan is either right now.

I did read an article out of Michigan over the weekend where one of the big wigs with the Michigan booster program said he thought just about any coach in the US would drop their job and come running to Michigan even for less/the same money......ok then.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Drum

I thought i was pretty clear about this, but apparently some need clarification, so here goes.

Mike Leach was HC at TTU for quite a while before they really had any success. News flash: he had about the same average talent as everyone else. It's only when a team gets real standout players that they separate themselves, such as when TTU had Harrell/Crabtree.

Before they showed up, TTU was just another team in the Big 12, AFTER, they were winning lots of games, putting up 50+ points per game, highly ranked, fighting for the Big 12 Championship, and on the Heisman ballot. At that time Leach was one of the hottest prospects for every high profile HC job that would be available.

After those players left, it was back to business as usual. 7 or 8 wins.

Now, is their anything that needs further explanation?

10 consecutive winning seasons

8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins

4 seasons with at least 9 wins

1 season with 11 wins

9 consecutive bowl appearances

5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)

4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25

19�11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M

53�11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team

2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year

2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year

More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken as Texas Tech's head coach

Now, here's how the talent stacks up with the rest of the country

Let's just look at NFL draft picks since 1999 and who really had the talent to work with
Miami-65
Tennessee-59
Ohio State-70
Georgia-56
Florida State-59
USC-56
Michigan-48
Florida-55
Notre Dame-48
Virginia Tech-48
LSU-46
Nebraska-45
Wisconsin-43
Oklahoma-36

Texas Tech had 22 players drafted and you really want to tell me that Mike Leach is the poster boy for doing less with more talent?

You should at least attempt to research things before you post

Drummond

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It looks like he isn't very aware of the college football landscape beyond his own campus.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
huntsonora, he's not your coach anymore, you can stop pumping now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
FC363, you need to brush up on the facts. Tech never played for a Big 12 Championship, ever. We won our share of games under Leach for sure, but no championships. Tech lead the nation in offense and passing for many years under Leach, not just Harrell. Remember Kingsbury, BJ Simons and others? Probably not. Average talent with a few studs mixed in, but very, very few. I'll bet you can't name 10 players in the past 10 years that have done anything in the NFL. OU had 4 first rounders last year. Leach had an offensive system, and the system worked great with average talent.

Drum, I should have said we seldom beat UT......would've been more accurate.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It looks like he isn't very aware of the college football landscape beyond his own campus.

Looks like you obviously had no clue what you were talking about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Looks like you obviously had no clue what you were talking about.

I was talking about the meatchicken booster, DA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FC363, you need to brush up on the facts. Tech never played for a Big 12 Championship, ever. We won our share of games under Leach for sure, but no championships. Tech lead the nation in offense and passing for many years under Leach, not just Harrell. Remember Kingsbury, BJ Simons and others? Probably not. Average talent with a few studs mixed in, but very, very few. I'll bet you can't name 10 players in the past 10 years that have done anything in the NFL. OU had 4 first rounders last year. Leach had an offensive system, and the system worked great with average talent.

Drum, I should have said we seldom beat UT......would've been more accurate.

I dont need to brush up on anything to figure out that Leach's success on the field rested with his players.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,102
Posts18,464,178
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.