S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mom must be proud...............laffin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He is a first grader with a wrap sheet. He changes the passwords on his teachers stuff.

The kinda kid that will cut the back out of your couch to see whats in there...lol

R
R
longtime lurker and reader; I have used the 06 and the 243 for close to 40 years, I
like the 243 on deer using the right bullets such as partitions and the like. I have
never lost or had to trail one, shots have been between 50 and 300 yards. I had a co-worker who said the 243 was worthless because he had to track every deer he shot with one and had lost several. Upon questioning him about what bullet he used he said the Sierra 85 grain HPBT, I think that said it all.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
recon3117, Your co-worker must be a hell of a shot ?????

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
recon3117, Let me clarify my last statement, I don't want to start an argument and take up to much time and space on this forum. I've been shooting a 243 since 1965 and most of that time have been using the 85 grain Sierra HPBT as my go to bullet for both varmints and deer. I can honestly say between between a couple of buddies and I, we have probably taken close to a couple of hundred deer using 85 grain HPBT. So when I read that someone has used it and it has failed completely, I can only conclude that there is more to the story then just bullet failure. If it's not your bullet of choice, by all means don't use it. But no one is ever going to convince this old fella that it's not a good bullet to use for deer hunting. Good hunting and have a Happy New Year, Ben

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by buckhorn1916
Any opinions on whether to use 85 gr, 100 gr, 105 gr.??

100gr coreloc has laid many a whitetail low.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I guess if you place the shot well it doesn't matter but eventually almost everyone gets buck fever and has a bad shot. The last time I used a .243 for deer was in Wyoming. I wounded a deer and while trying to finish it off I hit it in the hind quarter. I eventually caught up to the deer and finished the job but when I was dressing it out I discovered the bullet had only penetrated about six inches. I was using 100 gr. winchester factory ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know. With some of the wackos I see in the woods during deer season, I don't know if I would encourage him to place his hands by his head like that while he was in the woods.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry dude, guess these 2 Canadian deer, shot by my wife & son, expired within 15 - 20 yrds, just from the mighty muzzle blast !!

Savage model 11 - .243, using 100gr Federal (blue box). Shot distances approx 100yrds. Broadside double lung. BOTH DEAD !!

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry dude, guess these 2 Canadian deer, shot by my wife & son, expired within 15 - 20 yrds, just from the mighty muzzle blast !!

Savage model 11 - .243, using 100gr Federal (blue box). Shot distances approx 100yrds. Broadside double lung. BOTH DEAD !!

Thought that was your daughter. grin Good job on the deer kill.

Paul.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I put more importance on bullet placement than what caliber the bullet is. Even the 30-06 won't make up for sorry shooting!
(Based on what I have seen over the past 30 deer seasons.)
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by buckhorn1916
I am a 30-06 veteran that shot my first deer with a .243 this evening. Handload with Sierra Gameking 85 grain BTHP.
Blood and lung all over the place, waist high.....No deer??
I know the .243 kills deer, but do they normally run farther when hit with a .243 vs. a larger caliber? Just wanted to know some other experiences with this, thanks.

I can't help with a comparison, because a .243 is the only cartridge I've ever used to shoot deer, and my sample size may or may not need 2 hands to count. Though all were recovered, each of the deer ran further than I had wanted. As such, I determined that a .243 wasn't enough cartridge for deer hunting.

This, however, was > 25 years ago, back in my teens. I was shooting a Remington 788 carbine with the 18.5" barrel. I'm sure that it would have helped if I would have shot more than 8 or 9 rounds through it before the season. I would also wager that using hearing protection might have prevented me from becoming afraid of the copious muzzle blast, and developing the flinch I carried for years. Heck, shooting lots more rimfire than I did would likely have made me a much better shot. In short, I'm sure the fault was mine, and not the cartridge's.

To this day, though, I maintain a dislike for the .243. In fact, I don't care much for any of its -08 bretheren, either. It's totally illogical, and I'm well aware of that. I'm just thankful there are still many dozens of other cartridges out there for me to be smitten with.

This process probably has happened with all cartridges. I was the only fool in elk camp with enough gall to carry a .30-'06: everyone else knew that was far too impotent a cartridge for such tough, noble, & worthy creatures. But it sure worked like a charm on the elk that I shot. So now, with my sample size of 1, I shall henceforth go confidently into the field chasing elk with it, knowing that it worked for me.

The next time I do go deer hunting, I'll very likely be carrying my 7x57. I'm sure it won't kill the deer any deader, or any more quickly, than a solid shot from a .243, but I'll feel better about carrying it with me.

I hear folks talking about "finding their huckleberries". Though I'd never encountered the phrase before I came to this site, I'd surmise it applies pretty aptly to cartridge selection. And if your huckleberry differs from my own, that's OK.

FC

A .243 is to deer as a 30-06 is to elk. Is a 30-06 enough gun for elk? Same answer!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
I put more importance on bullet placement than what caliber the bullet is. Even the 30-06 won't make up for sorry shooting!
(Based on what I have seen over the past 30 deer seasons.)
whelennut

Never used more than one shot on most deer. Usually one is enough. I have had one deer run after being shot with a 243 and it was running to begin with. Shot placement is important though.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The 280 is Almighty and better than both...cause it is in between. cool

Finally talking some sense around here.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Ingwe: It grieves me to do so, but I am compelled to agree... frown

My last two 270 bucks were only "merely dead"....they were NOT "most sincerely dead"........ grin

grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My admittedly somewhat limited experience is that animals of any variety are not long for this world if they have holes of any size in their lungs. If the bullet passed through the vitals, then the deer is there somewhere. I hope you're able to find him.

I'm going deer hunting all next week and I'll be using a .243 that has already dropped one good sized buck. I'm using 95 gr. Fusion factory ammo this year.

Last edited by aj020204; 01/13/11.

hydrostatic shock doesn't kill deer; I do.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.