Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The funny thing about squirrels is how the color can vary from area to area, even for the same sub-species.

In Michigan, our Eastern Fox squirrels are a redish-tan statewide.

Our Eastern Gray squirrels are either gray, sometimes with a bit of tan, or jet black depending on the ratio of beech/birch in the area they live.

My daughter graduated from Michigan Tech in Houghton a few years ago. They have a pocket of pure white Eastern Grays, which only makes sense because Houghton/Hancock has an average snowfall of over 200" between October and May each year.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SCGunut,

i live in the upstate, in Greenwood, and at one time, our local school Lander, had a very large populace of albino squirrels, around 30 plus in the 80's, but I think that they all but died out....not sure why.

After only 26 years, I have 'old trusty,' my gran-pap's old Columbia single shot 12 ga. one-shooter all prepped and ready to roll, gonna bowl over a few grays while I do some after season deer scouting!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Panda Squirrel= Why Cool...

We have a few spots in Md that Black Squirrels are abundant..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ryanjay11
SCGunNut,
Do you have any pictures of your squirrel mounts? These are so cool looking. I'm curious how they turned out.

Got the black one back today:
[Linked Image]

And here's "Panda" from last year:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
SWEET!

Dood..you are the squirrel God in my book! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We don't have fox squirrels where I live. I love to squirrel hunt and have since I was a kid. I have hunted with Hayward Simmons at Cedar Knoll a few times there in South Carolina. The deer hunting there is excellent and the woods are FULL of fox squirrels of various colors.

BTW, your fox squirrel mounts are really nice.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
SWEET!

Dood..you are the squirrel God in my book! laugh

Watch out, you'll give me a big head! It's kind of pathetic when I think about it. I have scores of exotic rifles for every animal on this planet and all I have to show for it is a wall full of squirrels. Oh, I've got a half dozen nice bucks on the wall but I haven't killed or even seen a mountable deer in years and I have neither the time nor funds to go on out of state big game hunts. I've been on one Maine bear hunt and two paid hog hunts here in S.C. and didn't kill sh*t on any of them. But I'm pure poison on them fox squirrels! And of course my wife absolutely L-O-V-E-S it when I hang another squirrel on the wall! "Squirrel God", I kind of like the sound of that. Thinking about getting that tatooed on my arm.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You should really consider a road trip to Arizona for Aberts/Tassel-ear squirrels. It would be worth the trip. Handsome big dudes they are too. Every bit as handsome as eastern fox squirrels and then some.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Awesome pictures everyone, Keep them coming. I might have to chime in.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Fox Squirrels are all but gone in Florida.

Have noticed the same here in my neck of the city....uh, I mean woods. Can't figure it out.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
SCGunNut,
I have watched two black fox squirrels on my happy hunting grounds for years. First saw them in 1987. Can't bring myself to shoot them. I have had many opportunities.

The Panda looks like a simple crossbreed, Red Fox & Black Fox.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by saddlering
I saw a Panda type squirrel 2 years ago in northern Michigan, .... saw him ...a few times but never could find him!

Did you look in the bamboo? grin

Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Any squirrel dog hunters here from the north AL area?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.