-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a thought...what's the difference between long range hunting and sniping? Bragging rights? Rifles sold that are used without practice? Kind of like folks who prefer driven game. To each his own. Do what you enjoy and practice till it's second nature. For me...I prefer to get as close as possible, with some game that's almost impossible...enjoy the hunt...

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Just a thought...what's the difference between long range hunting and sniping?

Sniping:

Two-way range, gut shootin' the SOB to die next week, or mangling his leg is OK

LR Hunting:

Ethical, humane shots are the order of the day, if not you are just another slob hunter.

Hunting with blackpowder cartridge rifles ain't my thing, but I don't post and ask stupid questions of those who do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess "ethical" depends on ones definition. Kinda like "stupid".

Last edited by John_Boy; 12/25/10.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just a thought...

Not really...

...what's the difference between long range hunting and sniping? Bragging rights? Rifles sold that are used without practice? Kind of like folks who prefer driven game. To each his own. Do what you enjoy and practice till it's second nature. For me...I prefer to get as close as possible, with some game that's almost impossible...enjoy the hunt...

I just love the sanctimonious ones.

Since you're caught up in definitions, define HUNT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Generally I stand clear of these whizzing contests...FWIW my $0.02...

I don't have an issue with taking game at long range, if you are up to it and have the proper equip., practice and conditions. Personally, I am not sure about 6 large for a rifle/scope, but WTF, if John can sell them and make a living doing it, more power to him. His guns obviously shoot as can he....

One can make an argument that it can be done with less cake, but the fact is, it is being done with his rifles. So be it.

The only issue I had with the video was, what guide in his right mind would let a client shoot a griz at 622 yards? I don't care what you are shooting, that is asking for trouble.

Death wish perhaps.....

Tony

PS: John, good vid, enjoyed it. Glad you hammered the griz.

Last edited by hicountry; 12/26/10.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tony,

Glad you enjoyed the video.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a friend bring 5 twenty something kids to the rod and gun club yesterday. We brought rifles and pistols for them to shoot. The guys brought a couple .22 rifles. I brought my .300WSM.

I had it built for about $3000 with a Nesika action, HS Precision bottom metal, a Micmillan stock, Lilja barrel, and Jewel trigger. Talley Mounts and a Leupold scope (not included in the 3K). I took it with me to North Carolina the last two years I rifle hunted. I got to shoot out to 500 yards and wrote out the bullet drop on the stock.

The last year, I shot two deer at 450 yards. I dropped both on their faces. Now, after bow hunting the last 12 or so years, I thought about the distance yesterday. There's a farmer's field next to our property and it's 380 yards to the far side of it. I had the kids at the range, pointed to a red barrel on the far shore, and said the two deer I shot were 70 yards further away. The kids just looked at me. I figured from shooting coffee cans that 500 yds is as far as I'm going to go. I even get the feeling that 500yds is pushing it.

Last edited by rob p; 01/02/11.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no problem with anyone who is "Skilled" to get the job done and has proper equiptment. The knowledge and practice to boot by the way.

The only eithic problem I might raise is shooting a dangerous animal at long distance. This I myself would never do even if I had a 50BMG all set up. There are just to many things that can happen and wounding a dangerous game animal is a no no and then trying to get back on it from 500 to 1000 yards is real shaky!!!

I did enjoy the taking of the coyote and hope to do so with the wife and I this coming year. We have the 4 rifles and scopes we will be taking on that P-dog & predator hunt. All but one are Savage model 12's (calibers are .204-Ruger .223, 22-250, Ruger 77 in 25-06) with Bushnell 3200 series Tactical scopes in the 5 to 15 power.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mag, Not trying to be sactimonious. Here in East Texas we use the old fashioned ambush method. We plant a food plot, set up a feeder, place a ground blind and wait. Nothing like the hunting a lot of folks have the privelage of doing elswhere. Whether long range, still hunting or chasing the little suckers down, it simply boils down to doing what you enjoy. I'd love to be able to hunt in Colorado or Alaska one day, but that is something I'll have to wait for. As far as long range goes, I'm not near a competent enough of a marksman to try it on game. Varmints yes, game no.

T
T
NOTE FROM DAD, I'M GOING TO CONFESS TO HAVING BEEN JOHN'S STEP DAD, HIS MOM AND I WERE TOGETHER FOR TEN YEARS,WE CALLED HIM JACK BACK THEN, ALSO SCOTT'S UNCLE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT JOHN IS DOING TODAY STARTED WHEN STILL IN DIAPERS AND HAS NOT LET UP TO DATE. I COULD'T KEEP HIM OUT OF MY RELOADING STUFF,RIFLES,PISTOLS ETC. HE AND BUDDIES WERE HUNTING AND SHOOTING EVERY EVENING AFTER SCHOOL. JOHN, SCOTT AND I HUNTED TOGETHER SINCE THEY WERE JUST BIG ENOUGH TO CARRY SLING SHOTS. BY THE WAY, I NEVER SAW EITHER LOOSE A ANIMAL. BOTH THESE GUYS AND OTHER PARTNERS IN GREYBULL PRECISON HIGH QUALITY INDIVIDUALS, AND 24 HR CAMPFIRE ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE THEM AROUND. IN MY OPINION, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN LONG RANGE PRECISION HUNTING, OR PUNCHING HOLES IN TARGETS, OR SHOOTING ROCKS LIKE JOHN DOES FOR PRACTICE, THEN LET SOMEONE ELSE HAVE ALL THOSE UNUSED RIFLES AND GET A SHOOTER, YOU ONLY NEED ONE. JUST A WORD FROM A PROUD DAD, FOR A YOUNG MAN LIVING HIS DREAM--BY THE WAY, AND YOU HAVE TO BE OLD TO REMEMBER THIS--IT WAS DIZZY DEAN--AND IT WAS, IF YOU DONE IT, IT AIN'T BRAGGIN

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
John Boy,

I apologize. Your hunting is the way I hunted for most of my life (I lived in Texas until I was 40). Again, sorry for the snotty post.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good, leave, go back to your arm chair and Saturday night drunken haze.....jeez!

FAR more critters are wounded and lost at under 100 yards than all other ranges combined, especially in Eastern states where cover is dense. There have been several surveys on this posted over the years. Why? Because FAR FAR FAR more shots are taken at close range in thick brush from weekend warriors that get buck fever. Precious few hunters have a clue how to track an animal or to even know what to look for. If the animal doesn't die in the scope, they figure they missed and walk off. I have pointed several guys to their down and dead animals that they thought they missed, or couldn't track due to lack of ability or intelligence. It boggles my mind why they are even in the field.

Just like bow hunting, knife hunting, muzzle loading etc. They all demand a certain amount of skill and training. Long range hunting is indeed a sport, ethical and takes talent and skill, just like anything else. I don't believe or like your style of hunting (box stands, grain feeders, food plots), so you are unethical...right? Nope, just your way of doing things. You don't like, can't do or don't believe in long range hunting, fine, don't do it. You will NEVER stop the weekend warrior from thinking "he can do it" no matter what weapon or caliber he has in his hands, or what you tell him. Each to his own.

John has made a business out of selling dreams to people that lack the skill and ability in many areas. John isn't pulling the trigger, the idiots are. So let's blame the spoon for making Rosey O'Donnell fat. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flinch, good to see you back.. The place has changed when the population moved in..

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm seeing that and not liking it. Too many window lickers and arm chair weekend warriors. Now I know why I left the last time. You can lead a horse to water.......but. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spanked my buck this year at 503 with the dinky, underpowered, worthless 200 yard maximum range 7mm-08. That is 3 bucks in three years, all over 500 yards with it. Sure is a Worthless round ;o) Flinch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Flinch, congrats! Bullet, powder, primer, velocity?

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H4895, Hornady 120 grain hollow point, 3,023 fps from buggy whip 22" tube. Leupold 3x9 tactical (turrets and mildots). Remington blue printed 700 action, Mcmillan Remington classic stock. All up, 7.5 lbs. Love that rifle! Flinch

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Actually quite a dull video for the fuss. In all this, something that I haven't seen mention of is the peculiar notion we have that wildlife is here somehow for us to "play" with. I am totally down with hunting and actually prefer it to buying farmed meat. And I am well aware of the commendable wildlife conservation efforts that are partially supported by the firearms industry, but it's the "sport" thing I can't get past.

It's not sport, it's not a game. Those animals deserve more respect at any distance.

I consider myself a sporting rifleman, but when I hunt it has nothing to do with sport. Quarry is never offered a chance when I pull that trigger, else I don't pull that trigger.

-=tpr=-

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Wow. You have never missed?

Dink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If it�s not a sport, what is it? It certainly isn�t needed for survival, not if you live in the Unites States. You can go buy meat cheaper than you can �harvest� it to eat when you factor in the cost of the gear and gas to drive to wherever you hunt. In a few, very few limited circumstances, people live where they hunt and butcher and process their own meat. For them, I might call it something other than sport. It�s not survival though if they work and a supermarket is within driving distance. For the vast majority of hunters we fall under the larger umbrella of Shooting Sports.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.