Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
In all my years of cooking, making bread, making pizza crusts, etc... I've never made corn bread.

And so, last night when I was serving my wife and the widow of my old flyin' buddy a "peasant dinner" (soup and freshly-made, still hot from the oven bread), instead of making some form of rye bread, I decided my rich, tasty Beef Vegetable with Barley Soup would be even more tasty if I substituted corn bread for regular rye bread.

Soooooooooo... using the recipe on the bag of corn meal, I made an 8"x8" pan of corn bread. While it was pretty good and easy to make, I ended up with a pile of corn bread CRUMBS on my plate when I tried to butter the corn bread.

What's the "secret" to making good corn bread that DOESN'T fall apart when ya "slather" butter on it?

Anybody got a REAL solution to my "problem"?!?!? PLEEZE!!! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Incidentally, I did serve the corn bread still hot from the oven... did that contribute to it's tendancy to fall apart?

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try putting about a tablespoon more oil in it than a small recipe calls for and do the same with the milk only about two tablespoons. You can also try a little less cooking time. Too hard to increase the egg so try the liquids.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sounds like to me you know your way around a kitchen. Next time use the same recipe and add a couple of spoons of corn starch to the batter. It'll have a real crunchy crust and probably won't come apart so easily. If this doesn't work just have another longneck and get over it.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Both of your recommendations sound good... 'specially the "longneck" thought... (hehehehe) grin

I've also got bread flour. I wonder if I use BREAD FLOUR rather than the all-purpose flour the recipe called for??? Bread flour definitely holds a better "rise"... but would it HOLD the corn bread together better?!?

Whatta think?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Down heah, we don't use flour. Guess we figure corn bread should be made from the pure stuff. Most of us throw in a spoon of sugar and a couple of chopped pickled jalapenos along with a spoonful of the pickle juice. Of course this is for people that like spicey. Cornbread is like many recipes in that it takes a little adjustment to get it the way you like it. Hang in there, you can do it with just a couple of tries.

Doo Dah

IC B2

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Wahl... up heah, we do the same thing minus the jalapenos 'n pickle juice.

I wondered about the ratio of corn meal to flour... 1 cup of each... sounds like too much flour to me, too. I like my corn bread CRUNCHY... not soft.

I agree with your "adjustment" statement... think that's what I'll do... "adjust"... and "adjust"... and try all of the suggestions I've gotten so far.

I sho-nuff like da flavor of da corn bread... and I'm a-fixin' ta make some mo... grin

Thanx for the thoughts, Doo Dah !~!~! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wifey makes great, never fail, cornbread, but it has sugar (north). Always served hot.

1 C all-purpose flour
1 C cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1/4 C sugar
1/4 t salt
1 egg
1 C milk
1/4 C oil

Please try the recipe before you make adjustments.
Good luck.

Last edited by croldfort; 01/19/11.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cornbread:

2 Cups Cornmeal mix (Martha White if you can find it)
one large egg
Buttermilk (approximately 1 1/2 Cups)
Cooking oil

And most importantly, a well seasoned 10" cast iron skillet

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the cooking oil in the skillet. Pour oil approximately 1/8" deep in skillet.

Mix ingredients together but do not over mix. Add hot oil from skillet to batter and mix. Pour batter into skillet. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and invert onto plate. Cut cornbread into wedges, butter and serve immediately. Enjoy!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What TNrifleman said...spot on.

Elwood

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sounds like we pretty well got the corn bread thingie down. Now should we move on to the side dishes such as collard greens, sweet potato casserole, and pork chops. Just kiddin', couldn't help it.

IC B3

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Shucky-DARN... DooDah,

You forgot the GRITS !~!~!~!~!~! grin grin grin grin

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been there!

Do NOT---I repeat DO NOT---overwork the batter/mix. In the case of cornbread a hot skillet and lumps in the batter are a must!

TN got it right. Although, I still stand by White Lily.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Cornbread.
One box of Jiffy cornbread mix, one egg, milk.
Mix, put in oven about 15 minutes, take out, slice and eat.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Cornbread.
One box of Jiffy cornbread mix, one egg, milk.
Mix, put in oven about 15 minutes, take out, slice and eat.

Bingo!

Mind you I'm a yankee, but I've never been able to make scratch cornbread that turns out better than Jiffy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Last week I started thinking about the cornbread my grandmother made for me when I would go to her house after school. Then I made some homemade soup and said time to make some cornbread. I did some research and found a recipe I liked. I made the cornbread and it came out great i.e. crunchy on the outside but soft inside. Here's the recipe.

How To Make Cornbread

By Buster Bucks
What Makes Delicious Cornbread?

A crispy, crunchy exterior with a moist, light interior. Lots of intense corn flavor. A tender crumb.

I've been baking cornbread for years, and have made more mistakes than I can count. Slowly, though, I've been able to perfect it.

Here's how to make the most delicious cornbread you've ever tasted. You'll love serving this with chili or stew, or fresh peas, or simply to eat hot from the oven with loads of sweet butter.

This is true, downhome cornbread.
A Few Quick Notes

Please read through all of the instructions, okay?

This recipe is divided into two parts:

1. the ingredients

2. the techniques, or how to make it.

The Ingredients

3/4 cup of all purpose flour

3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal (it's okay to use white cornmeal -- I prefer yellow)

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tbsp. sugar

1/4 cup of butter, MELTED

1 large egg

1 1/4 cup of buttermilk

3 tbsp. oil (I prefer Canola oil)
The Techniques (How To Make It)

Turn on your oven to 400 to preheat.

Put 3 tbsp. of Canola oil into a black 12" skillet, and put the skillet into the oven so it'll get hot. The skillet with the oil should be in the oven about 15 minutes or so. You want the skillet, and the oil inside it, to get piping hot, but not to begin to smoke.

You'll use TWO bowls, one large and one small.

Into the LARGER bowl put the dry ingredients. Stir them till you're sure that they've all been mixed together thoroughly.Make sure your baking powder/soda have been complete incorporated into your flour and cornmeal.

Into the SMALLER bowl, put the wet ingredients. (I usually put my butter into one of my small mixing bowls and put it into the microwave, on high, for about 20 seconds to melt the butter.) Then I pour in the buttermilk, then break in the egg, and use a fork to mix it all together.

Now here's the trick: pour the liquid ingredients ALL AT ONCE into the dry ingredients.

Use a spatula (or large wooden spoon) to mix the wet and dry ingredients, using only a few swift strokes -- about a dozen turns. It's okay if there are small bits of dry flour/cornmeal here and there. The point is to mix LIGHTLY -- if it starts to look smooth like cake batter, you've gone too far. (It'll still be good, but these instructions are about making a great cornbread.)

Use an oven mitt to remove the hot skillet from the oven and place it on your counter. Then pour your cornbread batter into it, then return the skillet to the oven.

Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes. I encourage you to set your timer for 15 minutes, then check the cornbread and turn it halfway around (for even browning.)

Some ovens run really hot -- so your cornbread might be ready in slightly less than 20 minutes. For other ovens, it could take the full 25 minutes, or even slightly longer.

When will you know it's done? When the top has turned a gorgeous golden brown.

Remove it to the counter and let it sit for about 8 minutes. Place a plate on top of the skillet (use an oven mitt -- the skillet will still be really hot) and invert so that the cornbread falls onto the plate. The top (what had been the bottom on the skillet) will be dark and beautiful!

Let the cornbread rest for about 10 minutes, then slice into wedges. The crust will be dark and crisp, the interior will be moist and have a heavenly crumb.

Trust me -- you and your Loved Ones (or guests if you're serving it for a dinner party) are going to rave.

Enjoy!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Cornbread:

2 Cups Cornmeal mix (Martha White if you can find it)
one large egg
Buttermilk (approximately 1 1/2 Cups)
Cooking oil

And most importantly, a well seasoned 10" cast iron skillet

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the cooking oil in the skillet. Pour oil approximately 1/8" deep in skillet.

Mix ingredients together but do not over mix. Add hot oil from skillet to batter and mix. Pour batter into skillet. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and invert onto plate. Cut cornbread into wedges, butter and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Thats it, pretty much! Make sure you use at least a large egg, if not a jumbo. I use a hotter over...425, makes a good crust.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or you can use the Martha White Buttermilk mix and then use sweet milk. Just as good. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cornmeal Mix? Jiffy Cornbread Mix? Margarine? Canned Beans? Tou Fu???

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know---I even saw canned chili posted a couple of times.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cupacupacupa
1cupa course yaller cornmeal
1cupa all purpose flour
1cupa milk or cream
1/4 cupa oil or melted lard
1/4 cupa sugar (optional)
3 tsp baking powder
1 egg
grease a 8x8 cake tin or use a 10" cast frypan
mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
mix wet ingredients in a two cup measuring cup
add wet to dry and stir to just barely mixed
bake in pre heated oven at 325 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean(not an Arkansas toothpick)

We cut into four pieces split in half horizontally and add on butter and maple or corn syrup. We are from Canada Eh, what did you expect.

That one comes from my Grandpa to my pa to me and then to my daughters so 4 generations of "Johnny cake"

Sittin on a tree stump
Eaten Johnny cake
I heard the whistle blow
And I had to take a break

An old folk song about bush camps in the northern Boreal.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.