Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Your sig line, "Let's get the U.S. out of the U.N. and the U.N. out of the U.S.!!" , I disagree with. I think the saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" has some merit. Spying on our enemies while in the U.S. is easier than in their home countries.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve
Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.
I guess I missed that little tidbit on the first read. Amazing...

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty sure that list could be added too............

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not much on this list that I can't live without. But this list is just chump change. The Congress needs to focus on some really big expenditure, like the "alternate" engine for the F-35 aircraft (GE F-136 engine). One engine is already selected and to give GE billions to develop an engine that did not make the competitive cut, is ludicrous.

The total cost of the alternate engine is not known but independent estimates peg the cost at almost $3 billion, but GE says it is only about $2 billion; and this is just to develop the engine, not tool and produce it! Either way, a waste, but the GE engine is made outside f Cincinnati Ohio, next to John Boehner�s district and many local jobs are dependent.

Last edited by djs; 01/21/11.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There's plenty of waste in the defense department to be sure. However, I'll say it again, the only way to save enough money to fix the mess we're in is to target the place where that money is being spent, and that's on entitlements.

Let's say you were one of the people who five years ago thought they should be able to buy a $500,000 house on a teacher or cop's salary. Now you're stuck with your $4000 a month house note you can't pay and you face foreclosure on your house. You can give up all your $4 starbucks coffees and cut out your 500 channel cable TV package, but you're still not going to fix your fundamental problem which is the $4000 house note. The house has to go one way or another. It's no different with the federal budget, everyone thinks that we can solve this mess by cutting out a little funding for the arts or whatever. Sure, by all means cut that stuff, we shouldn't have been funding it to begin with, but don't think that it'll fix the problem. The 800 lb. gorilla in the room that NO ONE will touch is entitlements.

Massive cuts in social security, medicare, medicaid, and all the assorted welfare programs and the ONLY way to get the budget under control.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There's plenty of waste in the defense department to be sure. However, I'll say it again, the only way to save enough money to fix the mess we're in is to target the place where that money is being spent, and that's on entitlements.

Let's say you were one of the people who five years ago thought they should be able to buy a $500,000 house on a teacher or cop's salary. Now you're stuck with your $4000 a month house note you can't pay and you face foreclosure on your house. You can give up all your $4 starbucks coffees and cut out your 500 channel cable TV package, but you're still not going to fix your fundamental problem which is the $4000 house note. The house has to go one way or another. It's no different with the federal budget, everyone thinks that we can solve this mess by cutting out a little funding for the arts or whatever. Sure, by all means cut that stuff, we shouldn't have been funding it to begin with, but don't think that it'll fix the problem. The 800 lb. gorilla in the room that NO ONE will touch is entitlements.

Massive cuts in social security, medicare, medicaid, and all the assorted welfare programs and the ONLY way to get the budget under control.

Exactly..and of course the other Gorilla.. the military

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical? Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

The only thing there would be lhonda not fully cooking salmon.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

This would require PBS to have 1 week of broadcast and 11 weeks of beg-a-thon each quarter.

There are some things I like about PBS. blush

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.