24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 300 RUM Bdl for a very short time before I bought the Sendero. 200 gr accubond and Retumbo. I enjoy shooting it much more after putting on the brake.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RandyR; 01/17/11.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
300RUM and 200AB have proven to be a bad combo for animals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had great results with 180 gr Scirocco II's out of my 300 RUM.

I shoot a Rem 700 LSS with a Leupold 4.5 x 14

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Today I came across a Christianson Arms Hunter in 300RUM with a Carbon Fiber BBL at a local sporting goods store it was a really good looking gun for $1500.00. I was not sure what they cost new and I think this has been fired just don't know how much so I passed it up. It has been there a while I have seen it before but today I held it and it weighs nothing so that concerned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is still really hard to beat a well put together 7mm mag shooting 162 Hornady Amax bullets or or 168 grain Burger hunting bullets at long range. No need for a brake of any kind and shoots flat, equaling or bettering the the .300 and .338 Rums. I've shot them all and always go back to the 7mm, due to lack of fuss and a LOT less expense. I don't care how tough you are, the .338's are brutal and the .300's aren't fun to shoot for more than 10 rounds (I am talking without brakes). I won't shoot with brakes, especially on a hunting rifle. I like my hearing too much, or at least what is left of it ;o). The RUMS get down right punishing during a day of long range practice. You WILL develop a flinch after shooting a few rounds through them prone or in field positions. My buddies and I have had amazing success with the 7mm magnum combo on long range critters, both near and far. We haven't had any problem shooting through big bulls or anything else. RUMS are not for beginners to the long range game, nor are they needed. They are specialty tools for seasoned shooters. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Another thing about the 300 rum is that for whatever reason everyone I have laid hands on has been a shooter and a very easy round to work with. Retumbo, and a GMM215 work well with any bullet from 150-200.

I think that GMM215 is the way to go with that caliber, also.
Mine does great with 200 gr NPs, but not so good(thus far) with the AB.
I will keep trying, as I really like the looks of as well as what I hear about that projectile in the .308" 200gr.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy and I both have factory Remingtons and they are outstanding right out of the box. The only thing custom so far (I want a new stock and bigger mag box) is the ammo. RETUMBO is excellent. We switch boolits and goof around and still shoot great groups. It was weird at first but we are getting used to it. smile

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 7mm equaling or bettering the .300 amd .338 RUMs. In what way? mtmuley

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Equal or better trajectory, less powder, less recoil, longer barrel life, cheaper bullets, easier on the average shooter in all areas. Anyone can shoot a 7mm without being a seasoned shooter that has overcome the severe recoil and muzzle blast of the bigger calibers. A newbie to long range shooting/hunting is going to hate the bigger calibers and not be able to shoot them well in field conditions/positions. Nearly anyone can plop down behind a 12 lb. 7 mag. and start hitting stuff way out there. Just my opinion based on a lot of dead critters with the 7mm mag. I am not bashing the RUMS in any way. They are fabulous, but not for everyone, especially newbies. You don't need a cannon to reach way out there. That is all I am saying. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
My buddy and I both have factory Remingtons and they are outstanding right out of the box. The only thing custom so far (I want a new stock and bigger mag box) is the ammo. RETUMBO is excellent. We switch boolits and goof around and still shoot great groups. It was weird at first but we are getting used to it. smile

I run Retumbo also. I get 3200 with Nosler's max(book) load and sub MOA with the 200 Partition, but more like 2 inches with the 200gr AB.
I used to run IMR 7828 with the 200gr Partition, velocity was only about 3080 over my Oehler chrony, but the accuracy was superb!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 300 and 338 RUM are easily flatter shooting than the 7 mag.They also deliver a bigger pay load with more energy.I do agree though the 7 mag is less punishing and cheaper to shoot.I'm only running 17.5 MOA at 1000 yards with my 300 Ultra and 200 gr accubonds, 4 inch high at 100 yards.

1 and done
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Flinch, I'll take the heavier bullet in the RUM. I also like the BOTW trajectory and energy comparison chart in their mag ad that compares the 7mm VLD with a heavy RN in a .30-.378. Very misleading. As far as less powder, barrel wear and cost, LR isn't cheap nor easy. If the 7mm makes it easy for beginers, that's a bad thing. mtmuley

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Flinch, I hear where you are coming from. I currently shoot a 7mm Mag (have for 20 years...the same one in fact). My first forays into long range have been with a Remington VLS in 6mm shooting 95grain sierra HPBT's. It is a beautiful little rifle that I have learnt a lot with, I still have a lot more too learn. The 7mm with good 160'ish grain bullets is a tough one to beat no doubt.

Too be honest gents, I swing from the 7mm Mag to the 300RUM. Half the attraction of the rum is simply because I don't have one and it is a bigger cartridge. Ballistics wise, it almost seems like you could go 7mm and skip the 300 to 338. Both the 7mm and 338 appear to have ballistically superior offerings...though I am happy to stand corrected.

As I'm in no rush, the decision doesn't have to be made right now. Perhaps the 7mmRUM is equally worth consideration?

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I also meant to say thank you to the guys who have responded thus far. Some great shooting and nice pics to boot. Great stuff.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 7Remmie is a great blend of capacity,to COAL latitude,for scooting meaningful BC's.

The RUM is a coupla steps backwards..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I now a lot of fellows who started their long range career with the 300 RUM but don�t know any who stuck with it after actually killing more than 2 bulls at long range.

A very accurate cartridge in factory 700s but sooner or later the recoil or blast made everybody I know look for something else.

300 RUM has killed a bunch of elk but it might not be the best choice if you want lots of range.

The 7 Rem Mag with the 180 VLD will catch the 300 RUM with the 180gr Sirocco at 600yds at sea level and it will never kick anywhere near as hard.

Nothing against the RUM but there might be better choices if you are wanting more range.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
correct me if i am wrong here Mr. Burns, but isnt the 180 as heavy as it gets in 7mm?

you could easily outperform the 7mm with a 200 grain bullet, or even a 210, or 220, or 240 if you were so inclined.

a good muzzle brake will help tremendously with recoil, and there is no excuse for not having one if you intend to shoot long range a lot.

those who said they wont have one on a hunting rifle dont seem to realize where they are posting. this is the Long Range forum. if you are going to hunt long range, you need time to set up a shot, and if you have time for that, you have time to slip in some ear plugs.

no excuses made.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
correct me if i am wrong here Mr. Burns, but isnt the 180 as heavy as it gets in 7mm?

you could easily outperform the 7mm with a 200 grain bullet, or even a 210, or 220, or 240 if you were so inclined.

a good muzzle brake will help tremendously with recoil, and there is no excuse for not having one if you intend to shoot long range a lot.

those who said they wont have one on a hunting rifle dont seem to realize where they are posting. this is the Long Range forum. if you are going to hunt long range, you need time to set up a shot, and if you have time for that, you have time to slip in some ear plugs.

no excuses made.

Marty your not suppose to think of things like that. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weight is moot. BC and it's velocity ain't. Nor is throat/magbox harmony.

The 162A-Max is very easy to scoot at a good pace and the .625 BC don't suck. Hell...a 7-08 will keep it supersonic to the 1500yd line.

Tough to whoop,when weighing terminal affects,recoil,price or anything else...........,

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some of us prefer to hunt with bullets other than the one that seems to give the 7mm RM superpowers. mtmuley

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
188 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.