Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just got my first double rifle, had to start some where 9.3x74R. I have reload for 35 years, so reloading for a double rifle seamed to be the next challenge in guns and reloading. The gun I got is regulated, very good the factory target is 3/8" C to C at 50 meters with Hornady DGS. Does anybody know what powder and primers that Hornady uses.

Last edited by coyotewacker; 01/18/11.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They probably have the velocity figures on their website. Try to match them.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you call Hornady they will give you the load. I called them for my 450NE and it was no problem. I also pulled apart one of their factory bullets that my rifle shot very well and it differed from what they told me by a couple of grains (they vary depending on powder lot as you know). I went and bought a case of them with the same lot numbers and I've also managed to duplicate that specific load using DGX as well as Woodleighs. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please let us know how you like your rifle. I am considering one myself. Cannot shoot the big boomers anymore so hoping to try a 9.3x74 double gun someday soon and if I can shoot it without great pain and lingering problems one will become my next big game rifle. Do you know if they make it with matching 20ga bbl's? Also selling my Benelli SBE as shooting it is a bad idea now as well. Would be cool to have my everyday shotgun and my big game rifle be the same gun.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the info I have some Hornady brass and bullets coming. The recoil might be a little lively being mine weighs 7lbs-10ozs. I'am thinking something like a 375H&H in the same weight gun, maybe a little less.
USSG is the importer with Cabela's the only company selling them in the U.S.A.,I don't know if a set of 20ga. barrels would fit on this guns frame, maybe 28ga. TRADEEXCANADA sells Sabatti and sells 92 Basic in other calibers, they might know if you could get a shotgun barrel set. They will only export if the order is more than $3000
I will keep you posted on the gun to much snow to get set up right.

Last edited by coyotewacker; 01/18/11.
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have any trouble getting a load to shoot well, here are a couple of additional links with load data:

Norma

and

Vihtavuori

Good cartridge -- have seen it used on quite a few moose. In an expanding bullet, the bonded 286gr Norma Oryx bullet is very good -- I have now cut up about a dozen moose felled with this bullet. It either exits, or is found against the far side hide, looking like an advertisement.

John

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats! The process to come up with a load for a double is educational. There is a lot of good advice on AccurateReloading.com in the double rifle forum. Some of those guys are real experts. I am not. But I've learned a lot by making mistakes. The simple part of the process is to find a load that gets the same velocity as the regulation load with the same weight bullet. One load that worked for me in my Chapuis is Norma cases, CCI LR primers, 65 grains of IMR4831 and 286 grain bullets. You must work up to this level. I suggest getting a box of Hornady's and chronographing them. Then shooting thru the chrono with each load. Usually when you get to the same velocity as the regulation load, you have a matching load. Good Luck and welcome to the Double Rifles Shooters Society.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mine was a challenge with handloads though it pushed the Norma factory loads fairly close. I just had to give it up as my eyes just couldn't do the irons very well and I couldn't see scoping it. Neat rifles.

I think the 9.3x74 is a neat cartridge, sort of the 375s slightly smaller twin if that makes sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Would you post some pic's of the Sabatti?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The best load for my 9.3X74's is 65 grns of IRM4831 with about any 286 grn bullet made.For deer and blackies I use the cheap Priv's. Back down the load and work your way up to where the loads print side by side with the left on the left and right on right. Not crossing. If you've got a chrony try for 2350fps. BUT speed isn't as important as grouping.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know how to post pictures,any help?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Downgrade them to a 680x480 size, upload them on some specialized site such as www.imageshack.us, then copy paste direct link to the on line picture in your message between img tags; for ex: [ img]http://www.linktoimage.jpg[/img ] (I added spaces between the tag's brackets so you can see the sample but don't keep those spaces when posting images).

Last edited by grand_veneur; 01/19/11.

Va t'in tch�re !
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This load worked pretty well in mine.

[Linked Image]

I have a Ruger No 1 in 9.3 that I like quite well. I hope to get a double but I have heard so many bad things on the Sabatti?

I load 286 with 56 grains 4064 not a hot load but accurate and almost pleasant to shoot from the ruger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ibex: I own a Sabbati and like everything else in life, one must be aware and don't expect a "best quality" British Double for 5500 bucks. The biggest problem with them is many were "final tuned" with less than the accepted method of regulating, that is re-soldering the barrels after they shoot to POI. Some, mine included have had the barrel crowns relieved (a flat side) on order to achieve regulation and that is a "cheap" way to do it. However, my rifle shoots 1" groups at 50 yards with factory Hornady bullets and I've also managed to replicate the factory loads with my own reloads. On the positive side, wood to metal fit is excellent and some have some gorgeous wood. The engraving is machined lazered, again not a "best grade" English double but in my view far better looking than the "stick figure" engraving of some lower end doubles. After 140 rounds my Sabbati is still holding great groups, the ejectors are perfectly timed, the rifle comes up and points well. For 5500 bucks they are a great value and a great "entry level" double. Here is a target with SIX (6) rounds at 50 yards. Tough to argue with that. Lastly, if you buy one and it doesn't shoot, Cabelas will gladly refund your money. Can't beat that:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Thanks for the reply. I have seen the regulating comment in several sites. I agree with you, if it works and causes no other problem then who cares.
Guess I will drive over to Maine and look at one(call ahead).

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just take a look at the bores AND the regulating target. IF the bores are suspect but the target is good, I'd buy it with the stipulation to Cabelas that if it doesn't shoot to regulation you get a full refund. So far they have been MORE than compliant in this regard. They are a good outfir to deal with and they stand by their gurantee. Also, if you run into any problems. PM me, I can help. jorge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 204guy, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.