Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#4781640 01/04/11
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What do you all think of these rifles. I was looking at a wood and blued gun in 3006 with a vari x111 3.5x10. I could get it for $1600 and it is in really nice shape. I really like the safety and how smooth the action is but I nothing about these guns or there value.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife has a synthetic 6.5x55. She loves it, particularly the smooth, silent safety and the smooth action. It's not a lightweight rifle. It shoots very well. I can't help you with the price, other than say they are rather expensive.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This gun weighed 8.5 lbs with scope, certainly not a lightweight but a comfortable weight none the less.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A buddy has one that he bought from another friend. The previous owner had a 7mm mag.and 257 Wby barrels for it which made sense. Somehow the original owner got rid of the 257 barrel and my buddy has only the 7mm. A switch barrel gun with only one barrel,and a second barrel would set him back $1000 here in Canada. The gun itself is really nice but if you get it and plan on buying another barrel or two you may want to look into pricing.Other than that they are really nice. Stew

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I`ve a Sauer M200 in 30-06, the for-runner to the M202 and the same basic rifle with a trigger/safety being the only change. Mine is one of, if not the most accurate hunting rifles I`ve shot. The bolt is like glass and the trigger is very good. I wouldn`t hesitate to pick up another, and your price sounds a fair one in todays market.

[Linked Image]

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ouch I didn't realize they're that expensive.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My buddy wanted a 300 win mag. and I looked into it for him. The importer here in Canada had one only and it would have been $900 and change plus shipping and tax. This was a few weeks ago. States may be different, I think a firm called SIG in New Jersey(may be wrong on the name)is the U.S importer. You could maybe find out on the Sauer web site.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Sauer 202 Synthetic lwt. in 30-06 and it's the most accurate factory rifle I own. It should be, as it cost damn near as much as a custom rifle when I bought it.
$1,600 for one in good condition with a scope sounds like a good deal to me. Like STEW say's though, if you plan on buying and switching barrel's it can be an expensive proposition.

D
D
My dad has that exact rifle with the scope and all. His is either the deluxe or supreme, i can not recall which off the top of my head. It is a very nice rifle. Very accurate right out of the box, great wood, action is extremely smooth and i love the feel of the safety also. One of the most impressive things i thought was the palm swell and how well it fits when you pull it up to your shoulder. The only complaint that i have is the plastic bottom "metal" and magazine. I think they missed the mark with that decision. That being said i do regret not buying a 25-06 that i found used with the oil rubbed stock about 7 years ago.

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Are these just a barrel switch? I think blaser is a barrel with optics conected. It does get difficult to swallow when the barrel cost more than most new guns and even worse if you have optics for each one!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bigbuck, yes it's just a barrel switch on the 202. It's not the same set up as a Blaser where the mount is connected to the barrel itself. The optics on the 202 mount on top of the receiver just like in the picture Ol' Joe posted above.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
I`ve a Sauer M200 in 30-06, the for-runner to the M202 and the same basic rifle with a trigger/safety being the only change. Mine is one of, if not the most accurate hunting rifles I`ve shot. The bolt is like glass and the trigger is very good. I wouldn`t hesitate to pick up another, and your price sounds a fair one in todays market.

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle, Joe. Did you happen to buy it from Jay's in Clare? They had one like it a couple years ago. I held it and drooled on it (but I wiped it off). smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Sauer 202 rifles are gorgeous. I used to oogle them and wish and dream in a gun shop when I used to live in Lubbock. If I had the money and one of these rifles in front of me I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

1. I now see the wisdom and merits of much older generations.
2. Technology makes things cheaper, easier, and less labor intensive, but not necessarily better.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'll second (or third....) the opinion that they are very nice rifles.
I have one, and two barrels. A 9.3x62, and a 270Win. With this action length, I plan on rounding it out with the purchase of a 22-250 barrel. These three cartridges will use the same bolt, so I'll only be up for the cost of the barrel (still pricey) and a magazine.
Cheers,
Aussielad.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AussieLad
I'll second (or third....) the opinion that they are very nice rifles.
I have one, and two barrels. A 9.3x62, and a 270Win. With this action length, I plan on rounding it out with the purchase of a 22-250 barrel. These three cartridges will use the same bolt, so I'll only be up for the cost of the barrel (still pricey) and a magazine.
Cheers,
Aussielad.

AussieLad,
where abouts are you in SA??

I have always admired the Sauer rifles - your's certainly looks the part.

7mm

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hey 7mm, I live in Adelaide. Where abouts are you situated?
Cheers for the compliments on the rifle.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mate - am in Adelaide - will send you a PM

7mm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle, Joe. Did you happen to buy it from Jay's in Clare? They had one like it a couple years ago. I held it and drooled on it (but I wiped it off). smile

Big Redhead, Thanks for the compliment on the rifle. No, I picked it up at GunsGalore in Fenton around 1986-87. I only get up to Jays a time or two a year. Most of my travels are along the Huron shore, I`ve relation scattered north of Alpena .
You should have grabbed that one at Jays when you had the chance, you`d have loved it.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a very similar set up as Aussielad, my Sauer S202 has a 9.3x62 and 30-06 barrel and I also have an extra synthetic stock for bad weather, and 2 scopes; a 1.5-6 and a 4.5-14 and 2 magazines (3 and 5 rounds). It�s a fantastic rifle and exceptionally accurate and easy to use. I hope to buy a third barrel someday in 22-250 or 243.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3 shots with 250 gr. Accubond at 100 metres.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Konnari; 01/27/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.