Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hello Folks, New guy here, I've been lurking, reading lots of old threads, and hopefully learning from the practical knowledge/experience has been offered.

CZ has released a new version of their 550. Sorry, I can't get the link function to work. Anyway, it's a 7.0 pound carbine in 30-06 or 9.3x62, kevlar stock, and has open sights.

For hunting, predators, or 'just-in-case', I'm interested in this 550 (in '06) for the one rifle that is always 'with you', in your vehicle, atv, boat, or on foot. A 'working-rifle' may be a better title.

Out of the box, all this gun needs should be a trigger adjustment, remove the rear sight, add a NECG peep and maybe a red fiber optic front sight, and a scope in Warne detachable mounts.

I'm well aware of the 30-06's capabilities and versatility with proper loads. Mice to Moose (or something else). Since deer will probably be the biggest game hunted, I'm more concerned with 165 gr and smaller bullets, but want to be ablity to load 220's (for camping/fishing in bear country).

I have a couple of concerns.

First,in theory, the 1in12 twist (I called CZ to verify that the listed 1in12 was not an error) should shoot the lighter .30 bullets more accurately than the common 1in10 barrels. But what happens to accuracy when, say, 180-220 gr bullets are used?

CZ bolt handles require a higher mounted scope that I like. Does the Kevlar stock design provide decent 'cheek-weld'. Suggestions for raiseing the comb if needed? At nearly $1000.00, I really do not want to replace the factory stock.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreicated.

Fred

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Welcome to the 'Fire!

12 twist should work fine at least to 180 grains. Probably all the way to 220 if those are roundnose bullets.

Having never had the new Kevlar stock in hand, I don't know about the cheek weld/comb situation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootandfish1
First,in theory, the 1in12 twist (I called CZ to verify that the listed 1in12 was not an error) should shoot the lighter .30 bullets more accurately than the common 1in10 barrels. But what happens to accuracy when, say, 180-220 gr bullets are used?

Accuracy may or may not suffer. Only real way to find out is to shoot it.

CZ bolt handles require a higher mounted scope that I like. Does the Kevlar stock design provide decent 'cheek-weld'. Suggestions for raiseing the comb if needed? At nearly $1000.00, I really do not want to replace the factory stock.

Wayne at American Hunting Rifles can get you squared away.

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for responding.

Having the bolt handle modified was something I had not considered.

Please allow some follow-up questions reguarding the Kevlar stock.

Is this stock suitable for shooting using a sling? I know
a full length bedding block is utilized, but I don't know if it makes the stock stiff enough for sling use.

and

Is CZ's quality control good enough that you would buy a kevlar stocked rifle without seeing in person? My concern is if the barrel is positioned evenly in the barrel channel. With a wood stock, it is no biggie to remove a little wood. Not sure what one could do with this stock.

I have to travel to visit a cz dealer and will probably have to have one ordered with a deposit.

I imagine that I'll in the minority wanting a 30'06 carbine, but the 9.3x62 version should be a desirable gun for the guys in Alaska and Canada.

Fred

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have the synthetic stock in a CZ550 American in 30-06. I use it with a sling attached and have not found any discernible shift in point of impact by using the sling. I personally believe in using a sling to steady the shot when feasible. I use a super sling 2 on the rifle and it works very well. The only thing I recommend to anyone buying a CZ550 is the following:

1-Get Warne Quick-detach medium mounts this will lower the scope to get a better cheek contact with the stock.
2-Superglue the front sling swivels to the nut on the stock, they have a tendency to spin in the nut that it is screwed on.
3-Epoxy the follower to the spring in the magazine. A very small amount of epoxy will do the trick. The follower has a tendency to fall off (specially the metal one) you don�t want that happening to you in the boondocks.
4-Work on the trigger the instruction manual will show you how to have a good pull. You will need a metric wrench (I think it�s 6mm) it has to be very small to work in tight places and a small screwdriver. Ignition wrenches work quite well to tighten the little nuts.

Other than those few quirks on the rifle the CZ550 is a very good if somewhat heavy rifle. This is because of the almost total steel construction which makes it very strong and reliable. With a 4X Leupold scope and 180 gr. Nosler Partition bullets it�s a very deadly combination. Hoppe this helps you a bit.

IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 550 is a heavy rifle and to get to 7.0 lbs they must have added a thinner profile barrel as well as shortening it and using a synthetic stock. If so, there might be more barrel whip and resulting metal stock contact. This usually leads to more open groups w/o extra beding work. Be intersted to know how this works out.

The 9.3 x62 could become a popular guide gun for backing up sports or a big bear/moose, north woods, rifle.

1B

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for responding.

Having the bolt handle modified was something I had not considered.

Please allow some follow-up questions reguarding the Kevlar stock.

Is this stock suitable for shooting using a sling? I know
a full length bedding block is utilized, but I don't know if it makes the stock stiff enough for sling use.

and

Is CZ's quality control good enough that you would buy a kevlar stocked rifle without seeing in person? My concern is if the barrel is positioned evenly in the barrel channel. With a wood stock, it is no biggie to remove a little wood. Not sure what one could do with this stock.

I have to travel to visit a cz dealer and will probably have to have one ordered with a deposit.

I imagine that I'll in the minority wanting a 30'06 carbine, but the 9.3x62 version should be a desirable gun for the guys in Alaska and Canada.

Fred

............Fred,,,,,,Yes. You certainly will be in the minority in owning a 30-06 with a shortened barrel. Regarding shorter barreled carbines, I know what it is like being in the minority. But I like it that way.

Good luck!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the concept of the rifle very much. Especially in a CZ, which have been very good shooters ime. My biggest complaint with them, has been weight. Lightening them up and putting them in a synthetic stock makes them a very attractive rig, especially wearing irons.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
OP Offline
S
I called a cz dealer today to discuss ordering, He told me that the carbine is not in the computer yet, thus he can't order. Dealer said it may be 2-3 monthes before their available.

Barrel contour - Downloaded the cz catolog as it had more info. Weight difference between the 550 FS and 550 carbine, kevlar is .16 kg for the same 20.5 in barrel lenght. And .6 lb (4 in diff) between the 550 rifle kevlar and 550 carbine kevlar. I really hope that cz did not thin the barrel.

Also, In the catolog narritaive about the 550 American, it mentions that the kevlar stock matches the American stock, which was redesigned in 2008,,,,,,hmmm,,,,. I would like to find out what changed. I bought a 550 American in .270 back in 2006, which is what I have based my concerns about 'cheek-weld'. I may have been concerned over nothing.

Placed call to cz, but they did not call back, maybe out to shot show.

Now for the bad, cz's catolog had a new action, Short extractor,plunger ejector. Sad, sad.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy the kevlar stocked rifle, do what Jorge said and glass bed and free float the barrel. Then you won't have to worry about sling tension and be more accurate all in one swell foop (grin).

If you decide you want a shorter barrel, chop it and reattach front site.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 1B
The 550 is a heavy rifle and to get to 7.0 lbs they must have added a thinner profile barrel as well as shortening it and using a synthetic stock. If so, there might be more barrel whip and resulting metal stock contact. This usually leads to more open groups w/o extra beding work. Be intersted to know how this works out.

The 9.3 x62 could become a popular guide gun for backing up sports or a big bear/moose, north woods, rifle.

1B

They're lighter because the carbine uses the same barrel length and contour as the FS model, which is a light 20.5" barrel. I have had one, in a McMillan stock, for several years and it shoots very well.

The kevlar carbine stock is made by Bell and Carlson, and likely accounts for the weight of the new gun; the B&C stocks made for the CZ 550 Magnum action have gotten very good reviews; a poster over on Accurate Reloading reported that he bolted his 416 Rigby into that stock and shot it, without bedding, and got fine accuracy with no battering of the aluminum block from recoil. He also posted extensive pictures of the stock.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oregon45,

I believe that the FS was a mannlicher which also was made in 9.3x62 -- VAnimrod has one. So, the new Kevlar stocked carbine could be the same rifle with a different stock?

1N

Last edited by 1B; 01/28/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1B
So, the new Kevlar stocked carbine could be the same rifle with a different stock?

Basically.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
A standard fill McMillan shaved over 1# off my 550FS in 9.3x62. All up, scoped, slung and loaded that rifle will now go 8.5#, and be damned close to 7# bare.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
As for ring: Talley QDs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rifle is identical to the same 550FS they've been selling for years. Only difference is the new B&C stock. Just like the Winchester Extreme Weather, these are fairly lightweight with a full length bedding block. All you need to do is shoot the snot out of the gun straight from the box.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The catalog claims a "three position safety" but I can't confirm by the catalog photo. Can anyone confirm?

Sure wish it didn't have a floor plate....epoxy it shut I guess.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I like the concept, but wish Ruger would do it. Turns out I'm a bit of a psycho about having scopes mounted low and the idea of taking a CZ's trigger assembly out into the wilds scares me.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's no point going above the 180gr mark in the 30-06. In testing, penetration and wound generation actually fall above this point. The loss in kinetic energy due to the loss in velocity exceeds the small benefits in bullet mass and construction above 180gr. You need to be going up to the .300 mags to make the 200gr bullets worth while, and even then it is very marginal.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I like the concept, but wish Ruger would do it. Turns out I'm a bit of a psycho about having scopes mounted low and the idea of taking a CZ's trigger assembly out into the wilds scares me.

CZ Trigger assembly scary ? ? ?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 7 invisible), 1,215 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.