I bet dad is so proud...................laffin

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No sh*t! Most of them have the dreaded muffin top, no teeth and 5 kids from different fathers. However, some are down right gorgeous!!! Would like to share an igloo with a few of them. lol

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It took a chlorine shot to make that.

Now thats some funny chit right there...LMAO

I Kill Things......deal with it..
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It' all about the attitude, and she seems to have her share well under control. Ha Ha

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildone

Lotsa people would be better off had they gotten a "shot" of carmel or chocolate to temper the "chlorine" just a bit. And you don't have to look at the infamous WalMart "beauty model shots" to figure that out.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It was pretty cool to see Heimo Korth and family get dropped off at their cabin in ANWR. That 5 minute blip made the show worth watching for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
agreed. I have read a book not long ago about the Korth family, sounds pretty cool to live there year round!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by wildone

Lotsa people would be better off had they gotten a "shot" of carmel or chocolate to temper the "chlorine" just a bit. And you don't have to look at the infamous WalMart "beauty model shots" to figure that out.

Those "WalMart beauty model shots" exhibit plenty of shots chocolate and caramel. ugh That's what makes them so photogenic! Otherwise they'd be unremarkable.

MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
anyone still watching and have comments?

Wife hates it, I do to, when the rehash the last minute of the show after every break... and like normal, too much drama, but I'm still watching.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I DVR it so skip the commercials.

I'm enjoying it, but I know one of the pilots so that makes it more fun.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I flew with the one from Aniak too... makes it a hair more fun... but only saw him once... he was a "rookie" when I was up there...

But yep we DVR it...but you never know when they'll repeat and when not... regardless I still like it.... makes me wish I was up in one right now....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff you are right about the over-drama that TV brings.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Carolyn just starts saying... drama queens again.....They'd really poop themselves if they got in a real crash...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Beats the hell out the stupid "Gold Rush". Talk about bunch of idiots.

Toby Joe

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wish the producers of these shows wouldn't play things up like they do. I've flown with several of the pilots many times and know the family well enough that they recognize my voice, so I think I know them reasonably well. Drama is not something that needs to be invented like they do for TV. The real thing has plenty of it all its own. The trick that only really good producers can manage is to capture the real drama without needing to resort to the contrived stuff. Discovery was out here for several weeks or months to make this show so I would have thought they would have gotten the real thing, but who knows? I'm no producer. It is a, mostly, good show based on what I know of things.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
DVR it . Really like this program. Makes me wish I would have continued with flying lessons. Not to mention the Tweto gal on the show is fairly cute!

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just wish our state funds were not going to subsidize these movies. Those folks depending on tourism for a living should spend their own advertising funds if they think its a good deal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't aware that the state was kicking anything into this but I guess it doesn't surprise me. It would appear that shows like "Wild Alaska" are a win for the state and its tourism however. And while it might grate competitive commuters like Bering Air to see this show on TV perhaps, I hardly doubt either of them will suddenly be seeing a whole bunch of tourism dollars. That simply isn't where the vast majority of their income comes from.

Perhaps the state would like to see this part of the state benefit more from tourism, but the truth is that for many folks the Alaska they envision is the trees, mountains, and ice. Much of Alaska is all about tundra, but selling tundra to many folks is about as easy as selling ice to Eskimos.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't know that about state funds either. Interesting and I don't know how I'd feel if I were Alaskan.

I do think though, but could be very wrong.. most touristy types want to stay on the main roads if driving at all, and or due cruise ship tours. Thats not our cup of tea at all.. close as a cruise is the state ferry system hopping around which we have enjoyed but not often enough.

But I think the folks that want to see rural Alaska will or are seeing it regardless of the show.

Just my thoughts, worth about nothing really. Though I hope I'm right... more folks out rural, makes rural, not so.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I would imagine southeast and the road system: Fairbanks, Anchorage, Homer, etc and points in between will benefit more from shows like this one than other places in the state, including ours. Even so, assuming that's true, I'm okay with it. It won't happen in my lifetime, but there is some effort and expense being invested in seeking a road out to Nome. If and when that happens, things will surely change. Like you suggest, it is an obvious two edged sword.

I love the show. If one could just decompress the one hour segments, and spread them over a more realistic time frame, you'd experience - as much as you can through TV- what life is like in many respects out here. Overall I think Discovery has done a pretty good job of portraying many of the elements of life, not just the flying operation, but the people who depend on them as well, out in this part of the world.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.