Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have experienced more problems with Talley Screw Lock Detachables then any other ring mount system I have tried. They back their product to the hilt but boy do they need a QA dept.

BS

I've had maybe a hundred or more sets of Talley Rings pass through my hands. They are consistantly excellent. I've not had or seen a single defective set yet with access to a quite large sample.

I have had bad sets of Warne rings.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go Talley! Go Talley!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Talley!

You're full of BS.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have experienced more problems with Talley Screw Lock Detachables then any other ring mount system I have tried. They back their product to the hilt but boy do they need a QA dept.

BS

I've had maybe a hundred or more sets of Talley Rings pass through my hands. They are consistantly excellent. I've not had or seen a single defective set yet with access to a quite large sample.

I have had bad sets of Warne rings.......................DJ

My you have been lucky. Like I said before they stand by their products but they need a QA dept. I have had 4 sets and 1 was bad, in my experience that is a 25% failure rate ..and the ring in question so [bleep] up that it chewed up a 4-12 x 50 Av rear tube...they were machined out of round. I guess maybe they were made in China and msysteriously shipped out of Talleys So Carolina outlet without their knowledge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO Talleys are number 1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and Talley lightweights are excellent

[Linked Image]

but Warnes will do the job as well although seem bulkier and less ..... elegant

[Linked Image]

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for asking this. I have long wondered about which was better quality.

I have both Warne Premier and Warne Maxima on different rifles.

FWIW a base very similar to the the Premier's were used on the early Kimber rifles. They got a lot of good press at the time I bought mine.

I have the Premeir bases with the built in peeps on two rifles but they are no longer made.

I am planning on using the Talley bases as modified by Brockman on my nest rifle. It sounds like I will be happy.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
laugh

Last edited by Jim the Plumber; 01/28/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beleive it or not I used Warne rings on the last 2 rifles I built:

[Linked Image]

They were the right height for AR's and I wasn't planning on changing scopes around on them much. A Larue QD mount is nicer but is almost 3 times as much.

Of course I do have Talley's on quite a few other rifles:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/djpaintles/M-70-7mag-Custom.jpg[/img]

I have a couple good buddies that are pretty serious collectors. One of them just did an inventory and he had over 240 long guns - he uses Talley's almost exclusively. Haven't heard about a bad set yet. I'm sure it's possible but overall they have the best QC of any rings I've had much experience with. Maybe Conetrol's are as good QC wise but I've only had a couple sets of those........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Warne, Weaver, Talley. Have or had them all. (Weavers all gone now) All are viable choices, buy what you want, I do, and I mostly buy Talley's. I buy them cause I like them. No further justification needed.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No flame on Talley, but not exactly comparable products. The Talley ring has a Talley-specific base which limits its utility, furthering the gap in value!

The Warnes are Weaver-base compatible, and also Picatinny rail compatible. Many companies make bases that the Warne rings will fit. It's easily Warne for the compatibility. They are very strong, well machined and well finished, flawless generally. Steel is way strong, sintered or otherwise. The way the Warne 'recoil control key' butts up against the front of the groove in the base beats any competing 'Weaver-compatible' systems. Note the Leupold QRW and PRW share this feature as they are also Warne built. To get a stronger system one would have to go full-on tactical.

Where the question between the companies' offerings comes into play is Warne's Weaver-style vs the Talley Lightweight which is the Talley mount most commonly touted here. I have been a fan of Warne from the beginnings but the Tally Lightweight simply makes sense and is well-priced, I'd like to try them. OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does Talley make 34mm rings?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used both and currently like Talley Light weights. I think I saw were someone said they both are great and the the scope will be toast if they fail. But I can't remeber where I heard that? Buckfever1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned 2 sets of Talley's, 1 set was defective

I have owned probably 40 -50 sets of warnes, 0 were defective.

Talley obviously makes a good product or so many people wouldn't like them. Do I think they are the best?? Well far from it. There are many that are better,stronger,more precision built,easier on the scope tube,Believe it or not up here in NW Montana very few guys even know what talley's are. The shops don't even stock them.It just suprises me sometimes that people will pay so much for a product that is just ok.Especially their aluminum rings.

1 and done
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Actually, I don't like either Warne or Talley. That little sharks fin on top always reminds me of the kids with mohawks and spiked hair-dos.

I get along just fine with the old Weavers, Leupolds, Redfields style. Not that the Warnes or Talleys I have accumulated in trades don't work just fine you understand.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hate vertically split rings,no matter who makes 'em...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buckfever1
I have used both and currently like Talley Light weights. I think I saw were someone said they both are great and the the scope will be toast if they fail. But I can't remeber where I heard that? Buckfever1

Yep. WTH is wrong with the Talley ltwt's? Not purty enough? They're precise, strong, light, reasonably priced. What's not to like....other than maybe they ain't purty enough?? I don't really have any purty rifles and don't see a need for them.

Have 2 sets of Warne's with Warne bases. Nothing like putting an un-needed extry pound of steel up high for the balance of a rifle. Also tried some Warne tacticals on an AR......I think those added about 2 lbs. All of them are sitting in a box in the garage.

If I had to choose between the two steel units.......which I don't......I'd spend the extry and buy Talley's.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I do wish Talley would do something to pretty up their bases though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm by and large in LW Mode,so ain't fretting Fluff.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 257 roberts, 71 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.