Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Cool pics Pugs!

I love some of the old paint schemes of military aircraft.

I'm going to have to ask my dad what the colors were of his Korean War era F4U Corsiars they flew off the Phillipine Sea were painted--all of his photos are in black and white!

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neat pics, Allen. Thanks for sharing.

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I'm going to have to ask my dad what the colors were of his Korean War era F4U Corsiars they flew off the Phillipine Sea were painted--all of his photos are in black and white!

Casey

Here's the one it's based off of. It was VBF-85 off of USS Shangri-La (CV-38) http://www.vbf-85.com/
[Linked Image]

It's likely in your Dad's era that they were all Gloss Blue with the large white tail markings as the air wings reorganized like this one.
[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just my way of honoring this 100th Anniversary .. Dad was a Marine aboard CV-11 and Task Force 58 during The Battle of the Philippine Sea...These pics show the devastation of Kamikaze attacks and the hazards of Flight Ops. A tribute to all that served then and now in the Navy,Marines and Coast guard.Well done men and a big Thank You from your country!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/Arch48/IMG_1580.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/Arch48/IMG_1581.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/Arch48/IMG_1579.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/Arch48/IMG_1569.jpg[/img]

Always was very proud of my Dads' service and just wanted to share these with you..Semper Fi..Pop !!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Levrluvr - What did your Dad fly?

P2V's- sub chasing. From what my aunt tells me, he was pretty stressed by it.
He developed a duodenal ulcer during his duty in the Korean War, had to leave on a medical discharge. He passed away when I was four, one week after Kennedy's assassination in 1963.

That was a tough business back then. The P2V's were critical at tracking shipping during the Cuban Missile Crisis as well as around the world working the growing Soviet sub threat. Sorry he wasn't around for you.

Wished he had been- everyone should cherish their Dad, as growing up without one is a horrible thing.
My Aunt, Dad's only sister, just passed away at the age of 90 and the cousins found some pictures of Dad with his P2V aircraft. I'll get them me next time I get over to Ohio.

I could only imagine the stresses of flying a large recip engine prop plane off a carrier. I understand they JATO assisted most if not all gross fuel P2V takeoffs?. I know it was a long-legged but heavy plane at gross fuel.
A few internet pics I've saved over the years, searched out of my own curiosity.
Cool stuff- launches off the Midway and Roosevelt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by levrluvr; 01/30/11.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If Naval Aviation does not stir your soul, you don't have one.

Steve

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I could only imagine the stresses of flying a large recip engine prop plane off a carrier. I understand they JATO assisted most if not all gross fuel P2V takeoffs?. I know it was a long-legged but heavy plane at gross fuel.

The P2 was the Navy's only ticket into the nuclear war business before the Polaris missile and the Neptune was pressed into service as a one way ticket nuclear bomber before we had the smaller generation of weapons. With two recips, two jets and JATO it could make it off the carriers but it couldn't come back so was expected to drop it's bomb and then go ashore someplace.

That mission for the Neptune was replaced when the North American AJ Savage came along. The Savage fullfilled the mission but likely makes the top 5 list of worst planes in Naval Air history with it's habits of massive fuel leaks (and subsequent explosions since it used Avgas for both it's engines and the jet in the belly) and with the engines commonly twisting off upon a carrier trap.

The Truculent Turtle (http://www.vpnavy.com/turtle_01.html) held the record for longest unrefueled flight in a piston powered plane until the Yeagers broke it in the Voyager. The Turtle left Perth 15 tons over gross weight and arrived in NAS Columbus OH 11,236 miles and 55 hours and 18 minutes later.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was invited to take a three day cruise on the Shangri La when it came out of PSNS Bremerton when had sea trials right after they put the hurricane bow, canted deck and the steam cats on her. In '56 thru '58 I was a Sea Scout at the Naval Fuel Depot at Manchester and the Sea Scout Troop was invited to make one of the runs on her as it turned out I had more Sea Time as a Sea Scout than I had as Sailor in the Navy. The navy brought all the WWII carriers into Bremerton and did the modifiactions mentioned above to them. I went to high school over in Port Orchard, which is on the other side of Sinclair Inlet, and we would watch them shoot dead weights off the bow of the carriers testing the newly installed steam cats.

A couple of years later when I was stationed at USNM Yellow Water we took a load of Ammo down to Mayport to top off a destroyers stores and we went aboard the Shangri La for our noon meal because we couldn't make back to our base for our noon meal.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
VP-6 now has their Commemorative bird done in a 1950's scheme. Hopefully I'll find some better pictures as it's out and about.

[Linked Image]

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's a link to a page from French gent who is collecting pictures too with a few more including a replica Curtis Pusher onboard a modern CVN

http://www.amv83.fr/Navycag/centennial.htm

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
America forgets how much it owes the bravery and sacrifice of Naval Aviators. Were it not for their efforts, we would not be living in the America we now enjoy.

Sam......

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been following these. There is also a VFC-12 Hornet getting done in late WWII dark blue scheme. We painted a couple of our Tomcats for a Fallon det one year and one was in a pattern similar to the WWII three tone blue. Looked very cool!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Very Cool! Thanks Pugs for your service and these great pictures! Thanks to all who served!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Hey, Pugs..any pics of Phantoms and Tomcats for us older "Fighter Pukes"?:)

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VP-6 now has their Commemorative bird done in a 1950's scheme. Hopefully I'll find some better pictures as it's out and about.

[Linked Image]

Great photo!

I have a good buddy(flies biz jets now) that was a crew member on the Orions-he loves that airplane.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2011 is the 100th anniversary of Naval Aviation, and by default USMC and Coast Guard Aviation since we all wear the same Wings of Gold. It started with Eugene Ely launching from a makeshift deck on the USS Birmingham (CL-2) off Virginia in Nov 2010 and then in Jan 2011 recreated the feet including landing this time on the USS Pennsylvania (ACR-4) in San Francisco Bay.

So they had an antique aircraft duplicate the feat, launching/landing with a modern ship? Love to see video of that!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
pugs great pics and thread ty

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A few more have shown up.

F/A-18C, BuNo 165210 assigned to VX-31 at NAS China Lake. Aircraft represents test schemes used by aircraft at China Lake in the 1960s. The one's I flew on dets there were all just plain gray and boring! grin
[Linked Image]

P-3C, BuNo 160770 assigned to Patrol Wing 2 at MCAS Kaneohe Bay, HI. Aircraft is painted with a white top and a seaplane gray bottom, with VP-6 markings.
[Linked Image]

HH-60H, BuNo 163787 in a HAL (3) paint scheme. Aircraft assigned to HSC-84
[Linked Image]

T-39N, BuNo 165523 in a ENTERPRISE Air Group scheme circa 1938. Aircraft assigned to Training Wing SIX in Pensacola, FL.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I spent my four years in Naval Aviation as Crash Crew onboard USS RANGER from 84 to 86 and then swapped duty with a guy and went to USS CORAL SEA from 86 to 88.

Pugs,
I thought those T45s were T2 buckeyes?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I spent my four years in Naval Aviation as Crash Crew onboard USS RANGER from 84 to 86 and then swapped duty with a guy and went to USS CORAL SEA from 86 to 88.

Pugs,
I thought those T45s were T2 buckeyes?

And glad you were there! My Cousin is still in the Reserves as an Aviation Bosun Chief but when he was active duty was deployed on Danger Ranger doing flight deck firefighting circa 90-93. Ranger and the Coral Maru are about the only two old ships I don't have traps on. Prowlers were too heavy for the Lex.

The T-2 is gone. Retired in 2008. I think VT-10 was the last one to fly them or maybe it was Test Pilot school since it was such a great spin trainer . No matter what your fleet aircraft's procedure was to get you out of a spin it worked in the T-2. We did upright an inverted spins in VT-10 as a demo item. Mostly I think it was to prove they can always make you puke. grin

The T-45 had a long period of gestation but had turned into a good trainer and some have been upgraded to glass cockpits and with GPS Nav.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 76 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.